U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2010, 02:59 PM

5,778 posts, read 13,032,163 times

Advertisements

I was in the Goldenrod and University area and driving up Goldenrod from East Colonial I was shocked at how run down some of the homes were, especially by University Blvd

I found it almost impossible to believe this area is a Winter Park zip code (32792)

This just shocked me thats all

Did anybody else know Winter Park had parts like that?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2010, 05:19 PM

4,422 posts, read 6,446,007 times
Yes. We love Winter Park and we've made numerous trips up there and discovered that the part we like is the size of a postage stamp surrounded by ghetto. We'll stick to day trips.

Old 03-09-2010, 08:22 PM

4,192 posts, read 10,660,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by verobeach View Post
Yes. We love Winter Park and we've made numerous trips up there and discovered that the part we like is the size of a postage stamp surrounded by ghetto. We'll stick to day trips.
winter park isn't surrounded by ghettos. Winter Park is one of the nicest, most established areas to live in central FL. Some outer, more suburban parts of the area have smaller homes but they aren't ghetto. Very little crime anywhere in winter park and the schools are all highly rated.

Old 03-09-2010, 08:32 PM

8,964 posts, read 6,997,365 times
I like Winter Park a lot. My fave city in Central FL, although I would say, overall, Oviedo is nicer/cleaner/aesthetically pleasing. WP does have some not-so-good areas especially around the area you're talking about DavieJ89. Down by Forsythe and Hanging Moss... it aint pretty.

Old 03-09-2010, 08:43 PM

4,192 posts, read 10,660,202 times
I like Oviedo too but its nothing like winter park, theyre both great in different ways. Winter park is an older more established more dense area, where as Oviedo is a new suburban town and very spread out, they're both nice and they both have some not so good areas. Oviedo has a very run down area right in the middle of town, atleast winter parks run down areas are on the outskirts of town. I don't even really consider goldenrod south of university winter park, thats more like east orlando. To me, winter park ends around 436 & 426.

Old 03-09-2010, 11:27 PM

129 posts, read 410,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GLS2010 View Post
I like Oviedo too but its nothing like winter park, theyre both great in different ways. Winter park is an older more established more dense area, where as Oviedo is a new suburban town and very spread out, they're both nice and they both have some not so good areas. Oviedo has a very run down area right in the middle of town, atleast winter parks run down areas are on the outskirts of town. I don't even really consider goldenrod south of university winter park, thats more like east orlando. To me, winter park ends around 436 & 426.
Yeah, I have to agree. I grew up in the 32792 zip code and most if not all of the zip code is outside of Winter Parks city limits. In fact, it was about a 15-20 minute drive to get to downtown Winter Park from my home in 32792. A lot of 32792 is located in unincorporated Seminole County and the name Winter Park is for the post office only.

There are some older apartment complexes, but for the most part 32792 is a good zip code. University and Goldenrod is loaded with college students from Full Sail and UCF, so that's probably the reason it looks a little run down.

I've lived all over the Orlando area, and the 32792 zip code may be one of the best to live in. It has a great mix of people, and is pretty close to everything except for the theme parks, (which is a good thing).

Old 03-10-2010, 01:32 AM

5,778 posts, read 13,032,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GLS2010 View Post
winter park isn't surrounded by ghettos. Winter Park is one of the nicest, most established areas to live in central FL. Some outer, more suburban parts of the area have smaller homes but they aren't ghetto. Very little crime anywhere in winter park and the schools are all highly rated.
i didnt mean to say that they were ghetto, they were just looked very old and very run down

the area of goldenrod that is problematic as far as crime goes is curry ford and goldenrod. my best friend lives there and it is very bad

Old 03-10-2010, 05:38 AM

1,988 posts, read 6,555,551 times
Goldenrod is a bad road with many rundown areas, but it is not all that bad. Also, it is not really Winter Park city boundaries or considered Winter Park, despite the 32792 zip code and address. Winter Park's eastern boundary is kind of where Whole Foods is. Semoran is the dividing line for a lot of neighborhoods on the east side town and Goldenrod is pretty run down for most of its length from the new Walmart all the way up to Aloma. This is also pretty true of most of Semoran and the industrial areas around Forsyth with all the warehouses and unkept lots. The east side doesn't really get nice again in most places until east of Econ and in some places Dean and all this is all well east of WP boundries as well.

A good way to know if you are in Winter Park or not is to look for the Blue street signs. These are only in Winter Park as far as I know. Orlando has green with the Eola fountain and Orange County has green with the Orange on it.

Old 03-10-2010, 05:50 AM

1,988 posts, read 6,555,551 times
Also,

I think this is kind of the inner ring suburb of the east side, so including the Semoran and Goldenrod Corridors and the older parts of Union Park that are kind of run down, it is most comparable to either Pine Hills which is really the inner ring suburb of the west side or Sky Lake/Oak Ridge which is the inner ring suburbs of the south side. The way Orlando is, these areas became run down and nicer developments pushed out eastward in Avalon/Waterford, west in Ocoee/Clermont/Winter Garden, and southward in Hunters Creek/Wyndham Lakes and now in the Lake Nona area.

Old 03-10-2010, 07:47 AM

4,422 posts, read 6,446,007 times
It's a sin that you can't live a mile or so out and walk into the downtown area without some aspect of run down seediness.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or