Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2010, 02:42 PM

2,682 posts, read 4,480,611 times

Advertisements

Reading some of the other posts makes me depressed...i'm having a hard time imagining that there are no jobs of any sort. I'm willing to do whatever it takes, but in 6 months I might be broke at this rate. I hope this isn't a huge mistake...because I really want to move and give a try. My gf lives there and I miss her like crazy, its not worth it to me to be without her, but its almost as if the universe is working against us.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2010, 02:43 PM

4,194 posts, read 11,692,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katestar View Post
My hopes dashed again!
it all depends on the place. why don't you look into bar tending.

Old 03-23-2010, 02:47 PM

433 posts, read 1,011,883 times
When I got my server job it was NOT at the type of restaurant I would have preferred and for the first month things were very tough. I would be the first one cut, and I was making maybe 50 bucks a shift and getting like 5 shifts. I made about 1,000 that first month.

These days I make around 500 a week on 8 shifts for around 2000 a month. I think that there are restaurants that do well and those that don't do well. There are shifts that do well and those that don't. I have a buddy in south florida who found a job within about 6 weeks, but he was sick for half of his search and didn't search for half of that time.

Right now he works at a place that only does dinners and he makes about 50-100 a night working 5 nights a week. He is picking up a second job just in case.

You can make ends meet here in Florida. You can find a job here in Florida. Just make sure that you bring yourself a little padding down here because even when you do find a job who is to say it will pay all the bills? It probably won't pay all the bills at least at first.

The real question is if you want to do this or not. If you want to do it then you can do it, things may be tough and there will be times where you wonder if you can pay the bills or have to cut some spending but if you want to relocate here it can be done. Me and 2 of my friends did it.

If you want to be smart about it though I do suggest bringing some money down to be safe. You don't need 6 months worth of living (that would be like 10,000 bucks) but you should have at least 2 thousand and that's after whatever costs you incure to get here. Try to find an inexpensive living situation as well, preferably with utilities included. Craigslist has tons of people looking for roomates and I found a place for 350 all inclusive, but I am a little ways from a lot of the fun that this area has to offer.

Currently I am looking to relocate again to get closer to all the fun that central florida has to offer but I am looking at more like 500 - 600 a month. Fortunately an opening with a friend is coming up where I may be back down to only 350 a month again.

So like I say if you want to do this then you will find a way to do it. Set up a situation that won't drain all your money immediately, buy some nice interview clothes, ask for the managers, follow up, keep good notes, don't spend all your money on new shoes or snow cones, and hit it hard every day and you will be fine.

Last edited by ^Eagle^; 03-23-2010 at 02:59 PM..

Old 03-23-2010, 02:47 PM

1,000 posts, read 3,347,776 times
Okay, I don't want to ask the obvious, but can you move in with your girlfriend at least until you find something (if you weren't planning on living together anyway)?

Old 03-23-2010, 02:59 PM

^Eagle^ - thanks...i just can't keep from getting depressed. Almost seems like we'll never be together. I planned everything out...I have enough money, over $10,000...I just didn't want to spend it all in 6 months and then still be stuck without a job and then I really won't have any options.

JustinsMama - I will be living with her (she was staying elsewhere), but she is going to school and not making much else, plus she has bills so she'll only be giving me a few hundred a month. I tried to cut my bills so that all I have is cell phone and car insurance.

I know that we can make it for 3 months fine, even 6 months if need be...but some of the things that I've been hearing makes me nervous that even that much time is not enough to find a job to make at least $1500 a month.

Like I said, I'm gonna hit the ground running when I get there...and I have been looking already. I'm gonna make it a full time plus job to find something. I don't mind working two jobs if need be, but I'll start with finding just one! I'll go work at McDonald's if need be, but even that seems daunting.

I'm sorry if I"m complaining so much, just that I didn't EVER think that it would be this hard. I'm ready to work and will work any shift. I guess I'm just getting anxious because the time is getting close, I can't wait to be with her and we're signing the lease on Friday!

Old 03-23-2010, 03:01 PM

5 posts, read 22,835 times
You'll find a place to work in the area- no doubt about it.

You have a thousands of hotels, bars, restaurants, hotel bars and restaurants, timeshare bars, golf courses if you want to drive the cart and serve drinks/snacks, more retail than you can ever imagine, there is CityWalk, Universal, Islands of Adventure, SeaWorld, Disney World, Aquatica...there's a million things to do here.

Trust me, you'll find something around Orlando.

Come on down.....We'll be happy to welcome you!

Old 03-23-2010, 03:02 PM

GLS - I've never bartended...wonder if they'll even talk to me.

^Eagle^ - anyway that I can get your email or something. I would really like to stay in touch with you...maybe you hear something about an opening. Where did you move from by the way? I'm in CT now.

Old 03-23-2010, 03:03 PM

FLA01 - that's awesome to hear! You have any suggestions on places to look that might not be as well advertised. Postings on Craigslist generate like 500 replies in a day!

Old 03-23-2010, 03:07 PM

I just did a quick search on jobs......I found 102, some of them even in accounting.

That took me almost 8.3459289 seconds....Hold your head up high and come down, get a job, and be happy!

[url=http://www.hcareers.com/seeker/search/advanced?page.no=1&page.count=102&onlyEntryLevel=f alse&isDirectEmployer=false&isRecruitmentFirm=fals e&localAreaCodes=L00119&storeSearch=false&sort.fie ld=dateRenewed&sort.descending=true&form.commit=tr ue]Hcareers - Job Search Results[/url]

That didn't quite work.....Try this and search Orlando, FL.

[URL]http://www.hcareers.com/[/URL]

Old 03-23-2010, 03:13 PM

Anyhow, the link is: www. hcareers. com

It lists hotels and restaurants, and is a good starting point. You can also visit the Hilton website, Marriott website, Hyatt, Sheraton, Disney, Universal, etc...

There are thousands of jobs because it is the #2 tourist destination in the United States of America.

That will never change. People will always be visiting from all over the world, so we'll always have jobs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
View detailed profiles of: