Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2010, 08:20 AM

2,682 posts, read 4,480,222 times

Advertisements

I am relocating to Orlando by mid-May 2010 for personal reasons. Everyone keeps telling me that the job market is HORRIBLE, that you can't even get a waitress job. I was thinking that I should be able to land something in a restaurant while looking for something more permanent, but even that doesn't look promising. I have a Bachelor's in Finance and am going for my MBA. I also have many years of server experience in a restaurant and have worked in accounting/billing for the past 2 years. Please tell me that I should find something in a few months if I put in the time. I'm getting depressed. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2010, 08:32 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,033,913 times
As long as you are willing to work p/t with no benefits as a server, you should be able to find something. Accounting and finance, the chances are slim to none. I have serveral friends who are accountants who have been out of work for over two years now.

Old 03-23-2010, 08:33 AM

2,563 posts, read 6,058,038 times
Are you an attractive girl? If so you'll do fine. If not you're SOL.

Old 03-23-2010, 08:38 AM

Well I'm not ugly, but I'm not a model. About 5'3, 125lbs, medium brown hair, originally from Russia so I have a slavic look. Is it really that bad even in the service industry? I'll work part time as a server....in all honesty the way some people make it seem is that you can't even get a job doing ANYTHING.

Old 03-23-2010, 09:02 AM

4,194 posts, read 11,691,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katestar View Post
Well I'm not ugly, but I'm not a model. About 5'3, 125lbs, medium brown hair, originally from Russia so I have a slavic look. Is it really that bad even in the service industry? I'll work part time as a server....in all honesty the way some people make it seem is that you can't even get a job doing ANYTHING.
it's not hard to get a job in the service industry, a lot of my friends have been getting hired lately and new resturants and stores keep opening up.

Old 03-23-2010, 09:08 AM

1,000 posts, read 3,347,349 times
Quote:
Are you an attractive girl? If so you'll do fine. If not you're SOL.
Really? Is that what it takes to be a good server? I thought it was more to do with being friendly, getting food out in a reasonable amount of time and being helpful if any problems arose.

I can understand your sentiments if she were only applying at Hooters or strip clubs but I could care less what my server normally looks like (man or woman). Of course if a person has boils and open sores, we don't want that either...

Old 03-23-2010, 09:20 AM

GLS2010 - that's really good to hear. I did apply to some places. Some won't take any application, some put it "on file," others I don't know. I interviewed twice for a new restaurant slated to open in April. I keep calling, but they are saying they are still reviewing applications and that they will call by the end of the week. I think I'll just go down there. I'm getting nervous. I have NEVER had a problem getting a server job.

Old 03-23-2010, 09:29 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,033,913 times
Are you living in Orlando or elsewhere? If you aren't living here, that's why no one will hire you or even speak to you.

Old 03-23-2010, 09:29 AM

4,194 posts, read 11,691,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katestar View Post
GLS2010 - that's really good to hear. I did apply to some places. Some won't take any application, some put it "on file," others I don't know. I interviewed twice for a new restaurant slated to open in April. I keep calling, but they are saying they are still reviewing applications and that they will call by the end of the week. I think I'll just go down there. I'm getting nervous. I have NEVER had a problem getting a server job.
If you just turn in a app you prolly won't get hired, you have to keep calling or go in to show that you are interested in working for them. But that's what it seems like you're doing so good luck, it shouldn't be that hard, especially since summer is coming up.

Old 03-23-2010, 09:36 AM

annerk - I list an Orlando address on my application and I don't tell them I'm relocating - I pretend I'm already there.

GLS2010 - yeah I realize I gotta keep calling and go back in, but I'm not in the area YET, so its hard to do. I hear some places are getting 500-1000 apps for a server position posting. This looks daunting, but I'm trying to stay positive.

Any tips?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
View detailed profiles of: