Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2010, 04:58 PM

4,194 posts, read 11,691,140 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
Belk worse than Kohls? I think you are confusing Belk with Bealls. Very different places.
I've been dragged to the Belk in the villages by my cousin. The minute we walked in, we left. She said it was like a crappier Kohls.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2010, 05:34 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,033,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GLS2010 View Post
I've been dragged to the Belk in the villages by my cousin. The minute we walked in, we left. She said it was like a crappier Kohls.
The one near me is a nicer department store. Like I said earlier, not Nordstroms, but nicer than the FL Mall Macy's.

Old 03-27-2010, 05:46 PM

181 posts, read 687,371 times
The NEW "Winter Garden Village" outdoor mall is my favorite, by far. I love the stores, restaurants and the outdoor koisks that music are pumped out of. It's a beautiful mall and BEST of all, it's outdoors! Other stores, I go to is Kohl's, sometimes Macy's and Ikea.

Old 03-27-2010, 06:28 PM

200 posts, read 538,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavieJ89 View Post
I live 5 miles from the Loop. If I want to go to the movies, I am willing to make the drive out to Waterford, it is worth the $7 tolls (round trip) 60 miles round trip.

I have friends in that area anyway so it all works out

I avoid the Loop unless I HAVE to go there for something
60 miles and $7 tolls? Geez! I had no idea you were so intimidated by those middle school kids.

I like the loop but agree traffic is a pain. I still go there for JCP/Kohls and sometimes Books-A-Million and restaurants. The Downtown Disney AMC theater is much nicer than the loop theater, though I realize many here are too good to be around tourists.

Altamonte Mall is nice. I've only been there once years ago but it was the first mall I visited in the area.

The Florida Mall is my favorite, but it does get really crowded at times.

Never been to the Millenia Mall. It sounds nice. Have to check it out one day.

Old 03-27-2010, 08:40 PM

8,176 posts, read 18,534,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EndersDrift View Post
Sorry but I got to say some of the stores you just named are pretty crappy in my opinion. Payless, JC Penny, TJ Maxx, Michael's, Ross, Wal-mart... really? There's not a single thing I can think of that would cause me to step foot in any one of those places. Not sure about some RU21, Belks, ULTA, and Maurice's I've never heard of.
Are we really going to turn this thread into a store trashing thread? The thread is about what shopping area you prefer...not which store you are too good to go into. There is a shopping thread on this forum..take it over there.

Please get back on topic.

Old 03-27-2010, 10:28 PM

5,779 posts, read 14,573,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
Yup
I love Barnes N Noble.

The last time I went to Winter Garden Village I remembered seeing a Barnes N Noble but I wasn't 100% sure. So I wanted clarity on that

They are way better then Borders, and Books-A-Million IMO

I prefer the ones at Waterford Lakes and at Colonial Plaza personally. They have one in Dr Phillips at Sand Lake and Dr Phillips Blvd, I've passed it many times, never gone in there though

Old 03-28-2010, 03:29 AM

2,563 posts, read 6,058,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Granny Sue View Post
Are we really going to turn this thread into a store trashing thread? The thread is about what shopping area you prefer...not which store you are too good to go into. There is a shopping thread on this forum..take it over there.

Please get back on topic.
I'm not sure why a person can judge West Oaks Mall as being unsafe, Florida Mall for being great but a little overcrowded, but I can't judge Clermont for not having good stores.

Weren't you the one who on the first page said,

"And I see nothing awesome about Flea World. Over priced cheap stuff made in China."

Check yourself before you start to hate on someone else.

Old 03-28-2010, 03:34 AM

3,633 posts, read 5,787,927 times
I love Altamonte Mall...it's in tha middle of everything in Altamonte...I used to live across tha street from there and i worked at that mall too...miss those days man!!!

Old 03-28-2010, 05:09 AM

596 posts, read 1,706,716 times
I don't live in the area yet (moving to Tampa Bay area in the fall), but when I'm down to visit my Mom in Seminole County, we visit area malls often. A couple of observations:

Seminole Mall - seems for some reason to be coming back from the dead. I visited it first a few years ago and it seemed like a third of it was empty. There were very few people there and many of the stores weren't chains...a mom-and-pop thrift store next to Macy's? This past January I visited and there seemed to be more traffic. Maybe that will attract some higher quality retailers back to the mall.

Waterford Lakes - When I first heard that Orlando had landed one of the new "lifestyle center" open-air malls I was excited. These type of malls are gaining in popularity and most new malls being built in the country right now are this model. Whoever designed Waterford Lakes however managed to wreck the concept of the lifestyle center, and turn into a glorified strip center. Every other lifestyle center in the country is designed similar to a traditional mall in terms of parking. One can still drive around the center, but not so much that it's a sea of four lane traffic and asphalt between buildings. It's supposed to be an environment in which one can walk, rest between stores in greenspaces with benches and fountains. Waterford Lakes is about as relaxing as a Turnpike rest stop. Below are a few links to lifestyle centers around the country. Notice the disparity in design.

Google Image Result for http://www.madisonmarquette.com/images/main/Bell_Tower_Shops.jpg
The Avenue Viera in Viera, FL (http://www.viera.com/public/Attraction.jsp?id=3 - broken link)
http://www.ballantynevillage.com/#
http://anakin.mallfinder.com/images/...R_20100119.pdf

Last edited by niceguy19125; 03-28-2010 at 05:52 AM..

Old 03-28-2010, 06:14 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,033,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EndersDrift View Post
I'm not sure why a person can judge West Oaks Mall as being unsafe, Florida Mall for being great but a little overcrowded, but I can't judge Clermont for not having good stores.

Weren't you the one who on the first page said,

"And I see nothing awesome about Flea World. Over priced cheap stuff made in China."

Check yourself before you start to hate on someone else.
Frankly I'm glad that Clermont doesn't have a mall. In my opinion we have too many stores as it is. I do like having some local places where I can pop in when I need something and get in and out in under five minutes--that's something I can't do even at Winter Garden Village.

You might not like Kohl's, but I've found terrific deals on OXO and Fiestaware there. Penney's has 100% Egyptian Cotton towels that last forever. Maybe they aren't Frette, but for my everyday needs, they are perfect. Or is that type of thing too "low end" for you?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando