U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2007, 09:50 AM

1,418 posts, read 8,862,609 times

Advertisements

I would like to hear the experiences of those who have actually attended a timeshare sales pitch in or around Orlando, or elsewhere for that matter.

Why did you go?

How long did it take?

Did you receive any kind of incentive? If so, was it what you expected?

Did you buy a timeshare? If so, how much did you pay for it? Are you happy with it, or wish you had the money back to do something else?

Feel free to add anything else that you think others might want to know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2007, 11:18 AM

1,594 posts, read 4,649,686 times
I did one in Daytona. I got to stay at the Adam's Mark for like 60 bucks a night for my entire family and got a 50 gift card to Red Lobster. I am a totally cheapskate so it was heaven for me. It was for a fairfield timeshare - they sent transportation for us and we were there for a few hours (yes the presentation is 90 minutes but doesn't include "the tour"). They laid it on pretty thick but my husband and I are both in the sales field so we knew what to say to get out as fast as we could. Overall, for a few hours of our time we saved hundreds of dollars so it was worth it. However, be aware that the price they tell you for the hotel does not include the taxes that you will have to pay on top of it - so it can be a little higher than you think. I haven't been to any in Orlando because you have to live more than 30 miles away or something.

Old 06-06-2007, 11:58 PM

1,352 posts, read 5,461,241 times
I am a pizza delivery driver around the attractions and i get to actually go into these develpoments and see the people that work there and sometimes step into the rooms and i will give you my view on which one i would buy if i had money and which i would stay away from.....

The ones i really like that seem nice and clean with good employees around to help would be

1) "The Fountains" off of International drive
2) "Floridays" resort off of International drive
3) MARIOTT GRAND HORIZONS off of westwood blvd near I-drive

those are ones i would look at personally just by comparing what i see in the way the others are built

the ones i would stay away from are ...

1) Sheraton Vistana resort.....not vistana villages but vistana resort. This place is a dump i have had people open the doors of thier room there and have smelt like a moldy smell and the buildings dont look like they were built too good either and its really confusing finding your way around in that place too.....

2) SUNTERA GRAND BEACH RESORT.......
it has a bad location compared to the others and doesnt look that nice from what ive seen

3) Westgate lakes leisure resort.....they are the small little apartments or condos of westgate lakes and they look kinda ghetto and the employees there are not too friendly as ive found by personal experience ....they have mostly young wanna be thug people working over there and security looks kinda corrupt at least thats the vibe i get....

but hey i havent stayed at these places and maybe its alot different staying there......but delivering pizza and talking with employees while waiting on my customers and just looking around ....i would say that this is my personal opinion if i wanted to buy there

Old 06-07-2007, 03:09 PM

1,408 posts, read 4,401,907 times
We did buy one in Ormond Beach several years ago. I think we got a $40 g/c for Olive Garden or Red Lobster. At first we were excited about buying and used it for a few years -- that's where we were on 9/11...so we spent most of our time in front of the TV.

Lately we haven't even used it primarily because we now have a dog and cannot take her and I don't want to leave her in a kennel. We're still paying our taxes/maintenance every year. Waste of money from our perspective. We've had it up for sale with some company and not even one call.

Old 06-07-2007, 05:48 PM

131 posts, read 681,274 times
Timeshares are a rip-off, you can't sell it... I don't know anyone who thinks it is a good investment.

If you just want a free dinner or incentive... well, it's your time

Old 10-02-2007, 07:05 AM

1 posts, read 3,737 times
I also have a few questions about timeshares. I have placed a bid on a Floating RED WEEK at Vacation Villas @ Fantasy World 5000 Harts Ave.
Have you been there?
What is the place like?
I have seen both good and bad reviews for this location.
There also are 4 address for the same location. are they all the same place or are there more then one?
While I can not get out of the bid already placed I may be able to cut my losses before I get in to deep.
Thank you for your time

Old 10-02-2007, 07:37 AM

80 posts, read 254,117 times
Default Came Close

I had heard that many people were doing well selling time shares and decided to check it out. The salesperson in the hotel (WestGate) briefed me that I should not tell the next salesperson that I plan to move to Orlando area and I also had to (lie) and tell them that I slept at the Hotel last night. Knowing that I am a lousy liar I went for the presentation but hesitantly. The woman who was to be my salesperson was nice and later pretty slick. Eventually all of my truths came out and she said I should work there once I got my FL RE license. When she got her manager to make me a better deal on the TS, I began to wonder if I was buying a car. I went so far as to put down a $1,000 promising to come back the next day (but had to get back to take my daughter nd her friend to dinner-truth)to finish up the sale. When the saleperson called me the next morning my only issue was that if I was going buy a time share, it had to be with the company I would be working for. At that point I did not know enough about the company(s) to make that decision. I did get $80 for my time and lunch (franks and beans).

Old 10-03-2007, 01:23 PM

239 posts, read 688,689 times
My buddy gets 3 and 4 star resorts/condos/townhomes all over Florida on priceline.com for $55 to $65 per night. He looked into the ownership thing and decided it was not for him. Other than that, I really don't know much about vacation ownership.

Old 06-30-2008, 08:54 AM

269 posts, read 878,066 times
I went and saw Westgate about 8 years ago. We got 2 free tickets to Universal. They wouldn't let us leave for about 3 hours. Finally, the guy said "There's the door." We then said we wanted our passes. He reluctantly made us wait another 20 minutes for our passes. We went out the door, which happened to be the alleyway where all the dumpsters were. We found our way to the car. It was a rough 3 hours, but at the time it was worth it to me for the 2 passes. Now it isn't.

You can buy many timeshares for either the cost of transfer or for $2K or less.

The only way anybody should ever purchase a timeshare is if they will go back to the exact same place every year, and/or if the cost of the maintenance is less than the cost of renting it out for a week. This obviously means you need to have a good resort AT A GOOD TIME OF YEAR

For example, you wouldn't be able to rent out a Virgnia Beach resort in January. However, you definitely could from June 10th through August 10th.

And for those folks who want to purchase a timeshare and then go to all of the beautiful places around the world, it is not likely. For the most part, there is never a place WHEN you want it. You will never find a place in North Carolina in the summer. If you like Florida, you can go there in the summer, but not in March.....

Old 06-30-2008, 09:42 AM

384 posts, read 1,338,210 times
We attended a time share presentation many years ago in Orlando just to get free attraction tickets.

We had to listen to their stuff for like 3 hours, but I did get my tickets, which would have cost me around $100.

There's no way in heck I'd consider actually buying one. It's just not a good deal for many people, and most certainly not me.

One of the time share people in Las Vegas offered me $200 cash to listen to their pitch earlier this year, and I turned them down. It just wasn't worth me to hear their sniveling for hours.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando