Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2010, 03:30 PM

33 posts, read 95,154 times

Advertisements

Do not move to Atlanta then. I'm in the process of moving to the East side of Orlando and everybody has been really outgoing...or it may just be that since people are not outgoing in Atlanta, it's like a new world to me in Orlando. The same with traffic. I'm sure the traffic in Orlando isn't really good, but compared to Atlanta it's a piece of cake.

I think part of the problem is really the surroundings and job environment. If you fight thru traffic to and from work, you don't want to hustle and bustle to hang out with people and you get into the rut of working, and relaxing at home.

Problem with Atlanta is you need to fit a certain profile of everything from religious ideologies to political ideologies to what college team you root for. If you don't fit into everything, you usually don't develop a friendship.

3JACK

Old 04-14-2010, 05:09 PM

13,535 posts, read 9,947,441 times
I visited Orlando last year, and found the people in the area to be really friendly. In fact I visited a number of areas in Florida and found everyone that I met to be really nice. I live in the UK, if you want unfriendly, try here.

Old 04-14-2010, 05:35 PM

6 posts, read 12,219 times
OP back again ...

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion ... I was just relating our experiences here and we've been here quite awhile. In response to annerk ... we have a large circle of friends that live in Europe, upstate NY and New England so I really don't think it's us. We don't force friendships as you say (unless you call trading phone #s and asking someone to get together forcing a friendship) and are always willing to meet new people of any ethnic background or social or financial status. We are also not alone in the way we think, as we've had numerous discussions with other Orlando residents who feel the same way.

My wife and I can live with the situation, but we want our daughter to grow up with friends to play with both close to home and at school as I did growing up. My father always told me that true friends would wipe your butt if you were paralyzed and to this day I still believe him.

I personally believe that the degradation in societal manners as a whole plays a big part. We had one set of friends drop us b/c they belonged to one of the better golf clubs in Orlando and we did not join another club close by so we could play at each other's clubs (we have since joined another club). My wife can never understand why people can't respond to an RSVP invitation to a party or send a thank you card for a nice gift. We've had birthday parties for our daughter here at the house where parents would dump their kids off (not just the invited kid) and take off for the day expecting us to watch them WITHOUT PERMISSION !

I guess that stuff could have happened in any town, but it's just a couple of many bad experiences we have had here in Orlando. And to throw in another factor, we have 57 child offenders/predators living within 5 miles of our house ( my home town has 0 ).

Maybe it just wasn't meant to be ...

Old 04-14-2010, 05:41 PM

1,377 posts, read 4,196,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by friendly1 View Post
OP back again ...

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion ... I was just relating our experiences here and we've been here quite awhile. In response to annerk ... we have a large circle of friends that live in Europe, upstate NY and New England so I really don't think it's us. We don't force friendships as you say (unless you call trading phone #s and asking someone to get together forcing a friendship) and are always willing to meet new people of any ethnic background or social or financial status. We are also not alone in the way we think, as we've had numerous discussions with other Orlando residents who feel the same way.

My wife and I can live with the situation, but we want our daughter to grow up with friends to play with both close to home and at school as I did growing up. My father always told me that true friends would wipe your butt if you were paralyzed and to this day I still believe him.

I personally believe that the degradation in societal manners as a whole plays a big part. We had one set of friends drop us b/c they belonged to one of the better golf clubs in Orlando and we did not join another club close by so we could play at each other's clubs (we have since joined another club). My wife can never understand why people can't respond to an RSVP invitation to a party or send a thank you card for a nice gift. We've had birthday parties for our daughter here at the house where parents would dump their kids off (not just the invited kid) and take off for the day expecting us to watch them WITHOUT PERMISSION !

I guess that stuff could have happened in any town, but it's just a couple of many bad experiences we have had here in Orlando. And to throw in another factor, we have 57 child offenders/predators living within 5 miles of our house ( my home town has 0 ).

Believe me, many, many, many people feel EXACTLY like you and have had similar experiences and all I can think of is IT IS ORLANDO. Half the crap that happens here wouldn't even cross my mind in my homestate of Texas. And for those saying there's something wrong with you, well those people on this board don't even live IN Orlando. They live in their little quaint picture perfect bubble subdivisions with their noses held high judging others who don't have the balls to hack it out in the real city. MANY people feel like you, IN REAL LIFE, not CD. Of course, stuff happens in every city, but it seems to happen here MORE. 2 cents, out.

Old 04-14-2010, 06:49 PM

4,194 posts, read 11,646,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by friendly1 View Post
OP back again ...

If you have met numerous others who feel the same, then why didn't you befriend them?

To noodles, those subdivisions are a part OF metro Orlando, so it applys.

Old 04-14-2010, 07:39 PM

6 posts, read 12,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GLS2010 View Post
If you have met numerous others who feel the same, then why didn't you befriend them?
We did and all but one of the families have left Orlando. The other family moved to the Lake Mary/Sanford area and we've lost touch.

Old 04-14-2010, 08:51 PM

26,585 posts, read 61,825,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ComSense View Post
People from Newark, Philly and CT seem to think that Orlando is very friendly, while others from small rural areas in FL, or Asheville NC, or upstate NY feel the opposite. I think it depends on where you're from originally. I know a lot of people that think ppl in Orlando are rude or unfriendly. Especially when driving. If you think the folks in Orlando are friendly, they might be, it just depends. It seems that I hear a lot more how friendly the people who live in downtown Orlando are compared to where I live, in East Orlando. This may be the case, maybe people where I live dont want to be bothered with waves and/or hello's. I dont know. Orlando's FAR different from Asheville though, I guarantee that. You wanna see down to earth and cool people, try Asheville NC. People with more money than God live up there and you wouldnt even know it, whereas here in Orlando, it seems like ppl go out of there way.
I spent 35 years of my life in upstate NY and think this area is equally as friendly. Actually I find the greater Orlando area to be overall much friendlier than Syracuse was.

Old 04-14-2010, 09:53 PM

2,563 posts, read 6,031,513 times
You've made your decision so what was the point in posting this thread or your other one?
(http://www.city-data.com/forum/gener...ng-utopia.html)

Seems all you're doing is looking for a place to complain and want others to pat you on the shoulder and say, you're right Orlando is terrible! Maybe instead you should either ask questions about your interests so we could direct you on where to meet people in Orlando that you might get along with (like GrannySue suggesting Meetup.com) or leave. I don't see how this thread is anything more than a pointless rant of one person that couldn't make friends.

If your kid was complaining they couldn't make any friends in school would you cry about it on a forum and switch to a different school zone? Or if your kid's best friend moved away would you then post on a public forum how the school is horrible and that you want to put your kid in a different school? That's basically what you're doing here.

Old 04-14-2010, 10:25 PM

189 posts, read 434,166 times
I seem to find a little bit of everything here in orlando. Friendly, nice, proud, rude, obnoxious, whiney etc. Its pretty much the same anywhere in other cities. I feel people here can be less uptight than other cities where they think they are better just because they are from that city.

Old 04-14-2010, 10:28 PM

433 posts, read 1,007,240 times
I find Orlando people to be friendly.

I do notice what your saying though. Many are more aquantances. This is a factor of the entire state though (maybe not smaller areas) Being from the new england area myself I definately see a difference. People down here only want to become your friend if there's something in it for them.

These kind of critisms don't play out well with them because often they dont understand what its like in places like the midwest or new england where people become friends to become friends and not to get something.

Its a lot easier to meet people down here then up there but when you meet someone up there its more likely they become a good friend.

There are exceptions to that rule down here though, you just have to look very hard and meet a lot of people to find them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando