Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2010, 10:54 AM

157 posts, read 332,518 times

Advertisements

I actually moved away from Orlando to San Francisco because I've been told and thought it's more friendly than Orlando but I was so wrong. Maybe it's a big city mentality or I just don't fit the lifestyle here, but I definitely made more friends working in Orlando for 2 years than I have here in SF. I'm just about to give up here and move back home to Orlando where the weather is nicer, girls are prettier and people to me are generally nicer!!! Has the OP tried to hang out with people at work?

Old 04-15-2010, 12:04 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,038,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorgrad2004 View Post
I actually moved away from Orlando to San Francisco because I've been told and thought it's more friendly than Orlando but I was so wrong. Maybe it's a big city mentality or I just don't fit the lifestyle here, but I definitely made more friends working in Orlando for 2 years than I have here in SF. I'm just about to give up here and move back home to Orlando where the weather is nicer, girls are prettier and people to me are generally nicer!!! Has the OP tried to hang out with people at work?

Wow, that's too bad. I've got several really good friends in the Bay area and have always found it very friendly. Hope things turn around for you!

Old 04-15-2010, 12:04 PM

5,969 posts, read 9,561,897 times
I have to agree, as a whole Orlando is pretty unfriendly. But I think that is mostly due to the transient nature and suburban sprawl of the area.

Old 04-15-2010, 12:37 PM

157 posts, read 332,518 times
Well, if things don't improve, guess I'll be get back to Orlando and enjoy a real summer! I miss the heat and friendly people!

Old 04-15-2010, 05:20 PM

3,633 posts, read 5,788,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
And again, you live in a crappy neighborhood and aren't accepting of anyone who isn't a WASP, which eliminates many potential friends. Most of us have had very different experiences.

I would agree...I think it all depends on what social class you might be and what kind of places you go or work to meet people...I made some of my best friends in Orlando...Work at a pizza place part time delivering....i bet you'll make some friends after a month or so...I did....I made lots of acquaintances that would hang out every now and then in Orlando doing that and I made some life long friends doing that....I just moved to Nashville and people seem to be nice on the surface as far as being courteous to others but it has been hard meeting people up here in my first 5 months here

Old 04-15-2010, 06:29 PM

8,963 posts, read 8,918,308 times
It's not true that I am accepting of WASP's only. That's ridiculous. I like nice and friendly people, no matter color. Just because I have seen a large portion of the unfriendly, ghetto behavior much more so from a particular ethnicity, doesnt mean I dont take people for who they are as an individual. I have said it many times that the friendliest neighbors I have ever been around are from Puerto Rico. I talked to them the other day for a half hour or so talking to the parents and their kids. It's about class and how you treat others, not the color.

Old 04-15-2010, 07:29 PM

181 posts, read 687,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by friendly1 View Post
My wife and I are about ready to get out of Dodge (Orlando). We have made every effort to make friends in Orlando and bottom line, folks are just into themselves here. It took me 15 years, but I finally have it figured out. It's all about who has the nicest car and the biggest house, but it's all just a front. Most people here are in debt up to their eyeballs or have multiple skeletons in their closets and are afraid to open up. My wife is from Europe and I'm from upstate NY; places where people know how to be friendly. Our neighbors look the other way when we see each other outside. Last time I looked, we aren't needy and are not ogres.

My advice to those wanting to live here is to bring your own circle of friends as you won't make any here. You might make a bunch of acquaintances, but that's about it ...

Since we don't like cold weather anymore, we are looking for a kid and parent friendly town with decent weather. Any advice appreciated ...
Gosh I can't understnad this AT ALL. We have made more friends in the Orlando area than we made in the last 30 years in the uppermidwest!! People are so friendly here. Noone is a stranger. They tell you their life story within minutes of meeting you! WE love it to no end.

Old 04-16-2010, 01:23 PM

233 posts, read 701,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DailyJournalist View Post
I have to agree, as a whole Orlando is pretty unfriendly. But I think that is mostly due to the transient nature and suburban sprawl of the area.
A problem present to one degree or another in all sun belt metro areas. The OP took a little bit of a beating, but this is a social phenomena that does exist in modern day America. I don't believe he and his wife have horns or three eyes or lack in the social graces to the degree that no one wants to come out and play with them. All social and cultural factors are on the downswing, and I when I think of "friendly" metro areas in the US, Orlando does not come to mind.

Old 04-16-2010, 02:56 PM

181 posts, read 687,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAI126 View Post
A problem present to one degree or another in all sun belt metro areas. The OP took a little bit of a beating, but this is a social phenomena that does exist in modern day America. I don't believe he and his wife have horns or three eyes or lack in the social graces to the degree that no one wants to come out and play with them. All social and cultural factors are on the downswing, and I when I think of "friendly" metro areas in the US, Orlando does not come to mind.

Well then you haven't lived in the "upper" midwest! Try making a friend there! Orlando is super friendly, like I said before. The best part it's not cliquey. We absolutely love it.

Old 04-16-2010, 03:01 PM

18,120 posts, read 11,754,865 times
Not a healthy attitude thread.
Thread closed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando