U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 04-17-2010, 02:11 PM

68 posts, read 120,283 times
Default Karate School for children in Lake Mary

I will be moving to Lake Mary from N.J. in late June. My daughters, ages eleven and eight have been going to karate since they were five years old. I would like them to continue in Florida. The dojo they attend now caters mostly to children. Can anyone recommend a similar school in the Lake Mary area? Thank you.
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2010, 05:09 PM

2,459 posts, read 2,871,564 times
This is one of my fields of expertise so I can try to help you out, are you using Karate as a generic term for After School Martial Arts program type of place or are you looking for a serious traditional martial arts school in a particular style?

Old 04-17-2010, 08:38 PM

307 posts, read 1,596,780 times
My daughter and I both go to Champion karate. They are very age specific, and they follow the form of kenpo karate. feel free to pm me and i can give you their website!

Old 04-18-2010, 06:54 AM

Champion Karate is only good if you're not serious about your martial arts. End of the day the head instructor and his assistants aren't very good. I'd only recommend it as an afterschool/fun program at best. Which is why I asked the question I did. If your daughters want to compete Champion isn't going to cut it.

Old 04-18-2010, 04:33 PM

I am very serious about my martial arts training, and I can honestly state that my daughter and I have both have learned lifesaving skills. My daughter has attended there for 4 years, and me for 3. Kenpo may not be like Kung Fu, but we like the street fighting style and I have felt the instructor and his staff have a good business there. I can only speak from my and my daughters experience, and they have been above and beyond for our training.

Old 04-18-2010, 05:26 PM

Champion Karate does not do any major tournaments. They also do not pay their instructors enough. I know this because I met with him for a job, was offered it on the spot, for less than the ad advertised or than the going rate. Actually he wanted me to take his courses for free for 3 months to quickly learn his way of doing things and then become an instructor for $10/hr. He tried to convince me the low pay was because I was getting to train under him for free.. Its far from the worst that I've seen but its far from the best as well, sorry if this bursts any of your bubbles. Could be worse, it could be Von Schmeling's.

Old 04-18-2010, 06:26 PM

I'm sorry it didn't work out as far as a job goes. But speaking from a student's perspective, my daughter and I have recieved excellent training. Could be worse is right! I could think of a few schools around here that aren't up to par but I'll not mention them.

Old 04-18-2010, 09:21 PM

Like I said and told OP in a PM the school isn't bad. It bothers me more that they don't do competitions. When I said serious sorry if I wasn't specific but there are I suppose 2 elements of serious in TMA. The serious for purely the love of the sport, focused, determined enjoy it for fitness and self-defense. Then the serious for competition. Then there are children dropped off like its a daycare.

If you are looking for a daycare it is a great one. If you are looking for the first level of seriousness it is a good one. If you are looking for the third one it is a terrible one.

Old 04-19-2010, 08:38 PM

2 posts, read 3,077 times
Hello there Mr. Enders. Is there a reason why you don't share your real name with everyone? Yes, you did meet with me and i'm sorry you didn't like what was offered, but i've been in this business for quite some time now, and quite frankly what was offered to you was quite generous considering your experience and what I saw from you. I was attempting to offer you an Instructor Training program, and I see the thanks I get. now, if I may address some of your worthless banter point by point:
"Champion Karate is only good if you're not serious about your martial arts. End of the day the head instructor and his assistants aren't very good."
I would like to know on what basis you say this? Have you seen any of my classes in person? Have you ever been on the mat training with me or my instructors? Have ever taken one class here? What do you know about my training history, or experience as a competitor or an instructor? finally, why don't you start by telling the people of Lake Mary what your experience is in any of these areas. first you would have to give us your name, but you won't do that because the only art you are proficient in, is the one with the keyboard.

"If your daughters want to compete Champion isn't going to cut it."
I have been competing in black belt divisions from 1995-2003. I competed in N.A.S.K.A, A.S.K.L. R.S.K.C. F.B.B.A. F.L.M.A, Fame2K to name a few, and i've won my fair share of trophies and championships in adult black belt fighting and forms. More importantly, I have trained my students to compete and win as well. Can you share with us what you have done? We do not travel the circuit anymore because I have chosen to take the school in the direction of training for combative encounters instead of sport. We still spar in all of my classes, and if you think we're not the real deal because we don't compete, I invite you to come to my sparring night class and bounce around with us. As Ed Parker once said...."to here is to doubt, to see is to be deceived, but to FEEL is to believe."

"If you are looking for a daycare it is a great one."
yes, another uniformed comment. I do have a very good after school karate program here, but it amounts for less than 10% of my active student count. That means over 90% of my students either drive themselves here, or parents stay and watch class. I don't think that qualifies as a daycare.

I will sign off with an interesting riddle I have heard my Arnis Instructor say....."Why do you think the fish ended up in hot oil? Because he opened his mouth"

With Respect, (and my real name)
Mike Friedman
407-322-1434
Champion Karate

Old 04-19-2010, 09:48 PM

I will address all of this in private message to you, I clearly offended you and don't see how addressing it on a public forum would do anything for you or your business. Something you obviously feel I injured. Ironically I said you are far from the worst I've seen. There are plenty of hacks out there and I don't believe you are one of them. I think its a good school for general fitness, well being, and discipline.

I do not think it is the right school for someone wanting to compete at a National or International Level despite your own history you openly accept that your school no longer competes. My implications were a combination of the price you offered me which was less than half what any other school offered me, the notion you gave me when you stated something along the lines of, "And keep in mind though the salary is low you are getting to train here for free and learn my style", and the lack of competition or affiliation with the USAKarate, the Olympic Karate committee and the only one that really matters. Its unfortunate Karate is that way but like Boxing it has too many governing bodies and its about time Karate got a single entity to look for in a school. Unfortunately, your school is not affiliated with them. The schools I told OP to look at was your school if not interested in competing or ones affiliated with either the WTF or the USANKF if they are. (The OP sent me a private message and that is where this conversation took place)

For the sake of these forums my own experience is in Coaching.

I've coached an Olympic Level Taekwondo team for 2 years. I carry Adult, Child, AED Certification. WTF and Kukkiwon Certification. My students took medals at the Oceanic Games, South Pacific Games, Australian Open, and New Zealand Open. One student was given a free ride to train with the USOlympic Taekwondo team. Three other students were given a free ride by the WTF to travel to and compete in the World Taekwondo Championships last year in Coppenhagen. I founded and ran an additional club for students at the school I was teaching at. Not to mention I was teaching and doing curriculum development in a formal school setting. I did all of this for absolutely nothing and with little resources without any expectation to do any of this. My job was only the formal classroom teaching Computers. I go above and beyond all expectations.

I'm not going to state details about what you offered me or what others have offered me in the Public Forum. I will PM you further responses.

"If you are looking for a daycare it is a great one."
yes, another uniformed comment. I do have a very good after school karate program here, but it amounts for less than 10% of my active student count. That means over 90% of my students either drive themselves here, or parents stay and watch class. I don't think that qualifies as a daycare.

I didn't know that saying a school is good for something is such an insult. Lots of schools, in fact most that stay in business receive some of their business from after school kids of varying ages. If this is a capacity that the OP is looking for your school is great. What in that is so hurtful? If you are looking for something more traditional but noncompetitive the school is good, you are not a Grandmaster that I am aware of, I would not consider any school without a Grandmaster to be a great one when there are Grandmasters present in the same city. If you are looking to compete the school is not the right choice.

As for my real identity, I don't state it for personal reasons that are none of your concern. I take little effort to hide it but enough effort that I cannot be found by certain individuals. I will leave it at that.

Fixed your riddle "Why do you think the fish ended up in hot oil? Because rholborn violated the City-Data TOS."

Here is what I told a recent parent that asked me about private coaching for their sons age 4 and age 6. "I can coach your kids, thats not the problem, I have that ability. But at that age they would probably benefit more from being in a traditional after-school type program. If you tell me where you are located I can suggest one. If you really want it to be private here is my number." I don't tell everyone the same school or same city is right for them. We are all unique and have our own viewpoint. That discussion on this forum was in Private Message the one I just quoted is from a different conversation that took place in real life.

With Respect,
Ender

p.s. I attempted to edit my other posts to be less targeting of your school. This does not seem possible as it is only letting me edit my most recent post.

p.s.s. Rholborn, you have such strong feelings towards Champion Karate and Master Freidman, what other schools and instructors have you attended to give any comparison to if you don't mind sharing?

Last edited by EndersDrift; 04-19-2010 at 10:10 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando