Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2010, 08:56 PM

12 posts, read 28,742 times

Advertisements

I have a budge of 100K, want to buy a house, condo or townhouse in Orlando area, where is easy to rent out to snowbirds or long term tenants. I need some advise on the location. I thought about Davenport and Kissimmee, but I heard some people say these area is for short term renters. I need your professional advise on where is the good place to buy? house or condo or townhouse? Do you know any real estate agent who have experience with international investors? Your input is much appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2010, 10:34 PM

793 posts, read 2,524,718 times
Sent you a PM

Old 04-19-2010, 07:25 AM

433 posts, read 1,228,544 times
If you tell us what you are wanting to do with a property, we might be able to help.

Example:

You want to live in it 3 months during the summer, or 3 months during the spring, etc.

You want a place to come to 3 times a year for 2 weeks each time..

Do you need a small place? bigger? 3 bedrooms, 2 baths minimum?

Probably, Kissimmee would still be good..

like this condo:

8703 KNIGHTSBRIDGE CT # 8703 Kissimmee FL 34747 3bd, 2 ba for $90,000
MLS# O4975344

or this townhome:

8411 CRYSTAL COVE LOOP, 3bd, 2.5 ba for $84,900 (short sale)

(I am not a realtor)

Old 04-19-2010, 08:46 AM

Default Short term rental or long term rental?

The property we want to buy in Orlando is for investment purpose. We have some cash in the bank doesn’t make much return. We were thinking to invest in the real estate market in US. I will be happy if I can have around 8% cash flow each year. In the long run, I still believe US real estate market has room to grow. We plan to buy a couple of properties in different cities. I choose Orlando first because I thought Disney is a big attraction, rental market might be better than other part of the country. We prefer long term rental, but if short term rental is manageable and profitable, we can do that as well.

We don't need the place right now. Maybe in next two years when my son are over 3 years old, we might need the place twice a year for two weeks. but right now i can rent out for the whole time. I prefer to have 3 bedroom, at least 2 bath.

I still can’t decide whether we should buy condo or house. Condo has maintenance fee and HOA. It can be very high. I heard house has high insurance, it is also very costly. What is your opinion?

Kissimmee and Davenport are the two locations I am currently focus on. I guess most condo and townhouses are short term rentals. If I want to rent for long term, do I have other better locations?

Thank you very much

Last edited by bluecherry; 04-19-2010 at 09:01 AM..

Old 04-19-2010, 01:40 PM

433 posts, read 1,228,544 times
One thing to understand is..Make sure that you know you WILL not cover your expenses for everything. You MUST be able to make payments for EVERY expense that will be for your new place. Any rentals you may get will be a bonus.

I tell all my clients who will listen about this.

Example that I just looked at this past month:

2913 Pembridge Kissimmee, FL Asking $125,000, put down US$75,000
P&I = $292.00 and Escrow= $272.92 = $564.92
Add the maintenance every month(Lawn, Pool, cleaning) = $250.00
Utilities(phone, internet, water, electricity) = $360.00
for a total of $1,174.92 out the door every month.

so, you will need to rent for 12 days a month @ over $100 a night to break even! (Right now the rates are under $100 a night for a 3bd 2ba place)

Usually the rental days are less than 12 days per vacation home per month.

Old 04-19-2010, 02:04 PM

how about long term rental? it is hard to find a long term tenant? how much can rent for a 3 bedroom and 2 bath townhouse in Kissimmee? thanks

Old 04-19-2010, 02:04 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,038,899 times
You need to choose long term or short term. You can't rent short term in a regular neighborhood, and many long term renters don't want to be in a neighborhood with short term rentals. (Some short term neighborhoods don't even offer mail delivery.)

Old 04-19-2010, 02:06 PM

thanks for your reply. We prefer long term rental.

Old 11-05-2010, 10:59 PM

2 posts, read 4,185 times
I am in a similar situaton to Blueberry...I want to invest in the Orlando market, would like something close to Disney that could be used as a short term rental sometime in the distant future, but don't want to deal with the extra risks and costs of running a short term rental at this time. Although I do want to take advantage of the great interest rates and low prices being offered. Are there any townhomes or homes for $125k or less in the area that could be used for LTR for the immediate time and still be in an area which allows STR if I choose to do so in the future?

Where do all the Disney employees tend to live? Wouldn't areas like Oakwater or Crestwynd Bay be desired areas for long term renters? I can handle several months of a unit sitting empty just paying small mortgage, tax and Maint/HOA Fee. If the unit is in STR though, it seems to me like the price nearly doubles after paying managment fee's, utilities, taxes, cleaning ect.. and I do not want to pay those cost's if it doesn't rent!!! Not looking for a huge cash flow, but at least to break even most of the year.

Old 11-06-2010, 05:38 PM

184 posts, read 438,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oahufish View Post
I am in a similar situaton to Blueberry...I want to invest in the Orlando market, would like something close to Disney that could be used as a short term rental sometime in the distant future, but don't want to deal with the extra risks and costs of running a short term rental at this time. Although I do want to take advantage of the great interest rates and low prices being offered. Are there any townhomes or homes for $125k or less in the area that could be used for LTR for the immediate time and still be in an area which allows STR if I choose to do so in the future?

Where do all the Disney employees tend to live? Wouldn't areas like Oakwater or Crestwynd Bay be desired areas for long term renters? I can handle several months of a unit sitting empty just paying small mortgage, tax and Maint/HOA Fee. If the unit is in STR though, it seems to me like the price nearly doubles after paying managment fee's, utilities, taxes, cleaning ect.. and I do not want to pay those cost's if it doesn't rent!!! Not looking for a huge cash flow, but at least to break even most of the year.
I keep getting emails from D.R. Horton Builders who have townhouses for sale advertised as being short-term rentals along Highway 27, in Winter Garden. I didn't think Winter Garden's boundaries went that far West, but they were inexpensive and new!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando