Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2010, 12:44 PM

4,194 posts, read 11,693,879 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by markhunt View Post
There usually isn't the sheer number of people at parks in CT like there is in FL no matter what season (thank goodness for that).

Many outdoor parks are not dead during the winter though. They don't have the traffic like they do when it's warmer, but there are many who go sledding, ice skating on ponds\lakes, fishing, ice hockey, snowmobiling, etc... But right now things are bustling up here. And will remain like this until November.

I would disagree that most people feel the same way. If it wasn't for air conditioning, I don't think the population down there would be one quarter of what it is today.

Are we talking humans or animals? And brutal is not how I would describe winter in CT. Syracuse NY I would say has brutal winters.

In any event, I would rather lose power in the middle of February in CT than go without power in August in FL. And I have experienced both. Back in 2003 when hurricane Charley hit, was the most uncomfortable I have ever been. Having to deal with the heat and humidity without the AC for days was simply disgusting. It's much easier for me to layer up with clothes and blankets to feel warm.

But, to each his\her own.
If it wasn't for heat/fire the north wouldn't even be livable period during the winter.

and in 2004 when Charley hit we lost power too and it did suck, but it wasn't hell. You could go swimming, take a cold shower, hangout outside. (it was much more stuffier indoors). and it wasn't that bad during evenings. If you really couldn't handle it you could get in your car with a/c and drive to a hotel and stay there untill your power came back on. (thats what we did after the 1st night, because my parents. I actually wanted to stay, because I liked hangning out with my friends on my block during the day). Try driving to a hotel when your snowed in with no power.

But like you said, to each his/her own.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2010, 02:14 PM

561 posts, read 1,923,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GLS2010 View Post
If it wasn't for heat/fire the north wouldn't even be livable period during the winter.
If by heat you mean modern electric or gas heat, of course it would be livable. Europeans started living in CT in the early 1600's. And before that native American Indians inhabited the state.

Also, fire is a natural element. Air conditioning is not.

My point is, if the human race had to rely on basic natural elements and basic building materials to shield themselves from the extremes of weather year round, I truly believe Floridas population would drop like a rock. History has already shown that most of the population increase of FL came AFTER the invention and mass availability of air conditioning.

Old 04-24-2010, 02:50 PM

4,194 posts, read 11,693,879 times
Quote:
If by heat you mean modern electric or gas heat, of course it would be livable. Europeans started living in CT in the early 1600's. And before that native American Indians inhabited the state.

Also, fire is a natural element. Air conditioning is not.

My point is, if the human race had to rely on basic natural elements and basic building materials to shield themselves from the extremes of weather year round, I truly believe Floridas population would drop like a rock. History has already shown that most of the population increase of FL came AFTER the invention and mass availability of air conditioning.
Europeans started living in FL before they started living in CT. and before that native Americans lived there too.

who cares how the source came about. The point is if there was no heating source or cooling source, summers would be more livable than winters. It's obvious and it's a fact. If some how heat sources disapeared, winters up north would not be livable. Where as if cooling sources disapeared the summers would still be livable, just extremely uncomfortable.

Old 04-24-2010, 03:29 PM

5,779 posts, read 14,577,035 times
Quote:
I've got family and friends all over CT. Some are in Waterbury, Naugatuck, and New Milford. I wouldn't want to raise my family in any of those towns though. You are correct about rampant drug use in Naugatuck. Especially Heroin and alcohol these days.

The thing with CT is if you can afford it, there is a very high quality of life to be had here for raising a family. If you can't afford it, CT can be one of the most depressing places in the country to live. Mostly "Have", and "Have Nots", here. Not too much in between. I think CT is pretty close to (if not #1), for having the biggest gap between the rich and the poor of all states. Just look at places like Greenwich and New Canaan. Then look at New Haven and Hartford.

I won't lie, this is one of the reasons I am happy to be back here. I like the fact that all 169 towns and cities here are incorporated and individual with no county government.

Good luck with your move in NV. Explore all you can now while your young. You never know, if you ever start a family of your own you may think about returning to CT.
Your right about there being all incorporated towns and no county gov'ts like in other states, it gets confusing sometimes who's jurisdiction is what here in Orlando, best way to tell is look at the street signs.

I also agree completely about the gap between have and have nots in CT. My family has always been one of the have nots, and as far as quality of life goes, we are much better off in Orlando then in CT as it is far more affordable.

I think Connecticut actually has quite a strong middle class presence, and people from other states when they think of CT they AUTOMATICALLY think "Fairfield County" and all the rich towns in it like Greenwich, New Canaan, Wilton, among others but IMO Fairfield County home to the worst city in the state, Bridgeport. But they forget there are 7 more counties in CT. New Haven, Fairfield, and Hartford counties are all urban or suburban, while the other 5 Litchfield, Tolland, Windham, New London, and Middlesex Counties are pretty rural

I have experience mostly with New Haven County and I can say most places outside New Haven, Meriden, and Waterbury are solidly middle class. Meriden is middle class as well but it has a high lower class presence as well with all the high rise housing projects downtown.

I dont know too much about CT in general though even though I was born there and lived there for half my life. I just know I hated living there (perhaps because of WHERE I lived in CT not the state in general, the state itself is ok)

I MIGHT return to CT if I get married and have kids, but the cold winters, taxes, the drug and alcohol influences around my kids are more then enough to keep me away. CT has the highest drug and alcohol use in the US (cant find a URL to back that up but I have read it before) But all those reasons are MORE then enough to keep CT as a "visit" place and not a "live" place. And even then I would only go in the summer time

To be quite honest, I would rather raise my future family in Las Vegas then CT. My kids would see the alcohol and gambling so much that they would not be interested in it, and it would make them better people as adults. Truth be told Vegas is far more family oriented then most people think. Off the strip it is perhaps one of the most family friendly places I have been. vegas is like two cities, The strip, and The Burbs. It is also a deeply religious place as well, lots of churches there.

Winters wouldnt be as cold as CT either

Old 04-24-2010, 04:08 PM

561 posts, read 1,923,205 times
Quote:
Europeans started living in FL before they started living in CT.
And even then, the majority of them chose to settle in the northeast (CT included).

Quote:
who cares how the source came about. The point is if there was no heating source or cooling source, summers would be more livable than winters. It's obvious and it's a fact. If some how heat sources disapeared, winters up north would not be livable. Where as if cooling sources disapeared the summers would still be livable, just extremely uncomfortable.
Your wrong. Winters in CT would still be livable and quite tolerable indoors with extreme insulation and proper attire. And even then, I still say more people would rather live north of FL (as the reality of past history shows).

Last edited by markhunt; 04-24-2010 at 04:25 PM..

Old 04-24-2010, 04:24 PM

2,727 posts, read 6,153,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavieJ89 View Post
perhaps you should try living in connecticut for a few years and then we'll see how you like cold winters lol
*agrees*

Davie - are you from CT?

ETA - okay, I continued reading and see that you are.

Old 04-24-2010, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTGirlNoMore View Post
*agrees*

Davie - are you from CT?
Yes, Waterbury to be exact. Was born at St Mary's Hospital.

What part are you from?

Old 04-24-2010, 04:32 PM

I actually wiagree th summer being easier without power, than winter. To the poster who was saying try driving in the snow to hotel, yup not fun and maybe not even doable. To the poster who said you can always go swimming or take a cold shower to cool down, I agree. When I lose power here, there is NOTHING to keep me warm. Even dressing in layers and blankets has never helped.

But, like said "to each their own".

Old 04-24-2010, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavieJ89 View Post
Yes, Waterbury to be exact. Was born at St Mary's Hospital.

What part are you from?
I grew up in Newington but have been living in Meriden for the past 12 years.

I do NOT like it here, but it's all I can afford.

Old 04-24-2010, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTGirlNoMore View Post
I grew up in Newington but have been living in Meriden for the past 12 years.

I do NOT like it here, but it's all I can afford.
Meriden isnt too bad, at least there you have the mall, Best Buy, Target, the movie theater near East Main and 691, along with Lido's Pizza in the same area, as well as Jacoby's further down East Main Street

I used to live on Bunker Ave by North Broad Street and Westfield Road, from 2001-2004 when I attended Washington Middle School, HATED that place. It was right down the street from Ted's Steamed Cheeseburgers, and Quality Time restaurant, great food at both places!

The Daffodil Festival was always fun too. I loved Hubbard Park, as well as Castle Craig, the views up there at all times of year were simply amazing! I miss it now
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando