Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2010, 12:49 PM

14 posts, read 99,084 times

Advertisements

Hello all you Central Floridians!

So I'm an Accountant. I have a BBA in Accounting from a good school. I worked two years as an Account, and the prior two part time (while in school) as an Internal Auditor. I moved, and I'm currently living in Winter Garden, FL (eash Orlando right off HWY 50).

Here's the situation! Day-IN and Day-OUT I look for an Account (or similar role) opportunity. I mean seriously, I dream about searching every last website and calling every last recruiter! But so far NOTHING!

What's going on here guys! I don't even have any requirements, I just want a job in somewhat accounting area. I even apply for part-time, entry level no-where landing jobs, low, and I mean LOW down pay, and so far nothing!

I just moved here (well about TWO MONTHS now) with my family. (I don't know if I dare mention I'm from NYC)

But anyway, is this seriously how the rest of my life will be? Think I should just pack up and move back. I mean how bad is bad down here when time comes for finding a job.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2010, 01:27 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,017,224 times
That's a particularly difficult field in this area right now. It's a little easier if you are a CPA or a bookkeeper that can double as an office manager, but accounting? Almost impossible. On top of that there is a distinct distaste for NY'ers with many of the locals, even the ones who started in NY. Lose the accent and try to blend in as well as you can. (Advice from a former NY'er who very quickly realized that the accent and trendy NYC clothes were not helping me in the job search.)

Old 04-27-2010, 01:29 PM

2,727 posts, read 6,151,260 times
Wow, that it interesting to know. My friend is an accountant and thinks when he gets t FL he will have NO problem finding a job as one.

Old 04-27-2010, 01:47 PM

433 posts, read 1,228,174 times
Our company is looking, but only for a Tax accountant atm.

But, they also like New Yorkers..

Also, not to nit pick, but you listed you are looking for an Account opportunity.. hopefully that is a typo.

Positions ARE scarce, unless you know people.

Old 04-29-2010, 07:43 AM

428 posts, read 1,082,354 times
Trendy NYC clothes? What does that mean?
You see some pretty trendy stuff in my trailer park don't ya know.
Oh you mean shoes with no holes in the sole.

OK seriously; hopefully you find something. My son went back to school for his MBA in Accounting after losing his automotive job and finding nothing. He is still looking too.
It's rough out there.

Old 04-30-2010, 07:54 PM

19 posts, read 43,531 times
Default Just a thought

Sometimes it is very hard to plan ahead in life. Of course moving to anyplace with a job lined up is the ideal scenery. In real life some situations are harder than being jobless or underemployed; escaping from domestic violence for example. I wish luck to all the brave souls who come to Orlando to reinvent themselves.

Old 04-30-2010, 09:03 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,622,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
That's a particularly difficult field in this area right now. It's a little easier if you are a CPA or a bookkeeper that can double as an office manager, but accounting? Almost impossible. On top of that there is a distinct distaste for NY'ers with many of the locals, even the ones who started in NY. Lose the accent and try to blend in as well as you can. (Advice from a former NY'er who very quickly realized that the accent and trendy NYC clothes were not helping me in the job search.)
So pretend to be something you're not?

Would you tell someone from Ireland say to lose the brogue?

People should be who they are, especially in a job interview.

Besides the resume is going to show their education and experience in NY anyway.

Old 05-12-2010, 08:49 AM

33 posts, read 99,136 times
I moved from NYC in 2007 with a B.S. and a Masters in Human Service. I currently work as a Support Coordinator for people with disabilities after going on over 30 interviews. I only make $28,000. Do not go into the interview in a suit. Please, make sure you omit the jacket. I went on serveral interviews in a suit, black stockings, polished shoes and hairstyle minimal with tiny earrings and no bling and they looked at me as if I was running for PResident. Style of dressing is a little bit more relax here.

On that note, be prepared to make just enough to get by when you do find something. Things are really different here and yes, FL is not too thrilled about New Yorkers. LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It is not always easy to find a job prior to relocating. I tried for months to find employment before I left NYC and it did not happen. The economy was beginning to crumble. A few years prior, perhaps I would have find employment before I relocated so don't feel that you did the wrong thing by not seeking employment before you got here. Some potential employers do not want to see a out-of-town address and phone # on a resume.

Maybe you should look into sending your resume to law firms. You may find something working as a paralegal for a while.

Good luck with everything. Stick it out. I guarantee, you will love it here.

Old 05-12-2010, 09:57 AM

429 posts, read 1,104,238 times
I don't know if people here are implying that Florida doesn't like NY'ers in Accounting, or in general, but they certainly had no problem with my wife and I.
At work and outside, we have no problems.
I will say I did NOT change who I was when interviewing and neither did the wife, although the job I'm at, the first comment the interviewer said was "are you attached to the suit?" , I said "No" and he said "good, were not so into those here" in a joking way...

Also, the out of town address.. 100% makes sense.. the phone number not so much anymore, people realize that cell phones can easily be carried to a new residence.

Old 12-01-2010, 08:27 PM

292 posts, read 725,033 times
The only decent jobs they have in Orlando are Lockeed Martin and related defense contractor industries on the east end of town in Research Park by UCF.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
View detailed profiles of: