U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-11-2007, 06:43 PM

1 posts, read 4,929 times

Advertisements

Hi! My family is moving to Orlando (Celebration) for business purposes. We have looked at many places in Orlando to live and ended up liking Celebration, but to afford the house we would like, Celebration does not give you much of a house or yard for the price. We live in a neighborhood that was modeled after Celebration in Gainesville, so apparently that is the type of neighborhood that we are trying to move into permanently. We have looked at Winter Park, Baldwin Park, Lake Nona, Avalon, Windermere("so called" WIndermere), Dr. Phillips, Oviedo and I can go on. We think maybe we are missing a neighborhood or missing something within these neighborhoods. We have a 2 and a 4 year old, so we are looking for good schools, but do not want to spend a fortune for an old house(as in Winter Park). We thought we liked Oviedo(Live Oak) and then when we decided to test out where we would like to eat, did not find an array of great places nearby. So, we are looking for a family- friendly neighborhood with good schools, educated people, nice places to go eat (more than a Sonny's)and shop, and a house at least 2100 sq ft, (preferably new) with decent prices. Any suggestions or does it not exist?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2007, 06:47 PM

165 posts, read 566,342 times
did you try winten garden .there getting a new mall over that way going to be really nice check that area out. good luck. oh what was the area called where you live my friends looking up that way.

Old 06-12-2007, 07:03 AM

442 posts, read 2,592,849 times
have you tried Harmony ? thats about a 40 minutes drive from Celebration with nice homes and a little bit bigger of a yard

Old 06-12-2007, 07:14 AM

1,594 posts, read 4,647,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ67 View Post
have you tried Harmony ? thats about a 40 minutes drive from Celebration with nice homes and a little bit bigger of a yard
Just what I was going to say! Harmony's prices are pretty good right now (much cheaper than Celebration) and they are getting a new elementary school and have a great High School (that is kicking butt in their sports program). Stay away from their "so-called" charter school. It is no more than a few portables with a fancy arch (that looks good in pictures) but has major problems.

Also, closer to Celebration is the four-corners area that includes Davenport, South Clermont and the Formosa Gardens area (Indian Ridge and Indian Oaks). There are many nice neighborhoods there that have nice yards and good schools.
Good luck!

Old 06-12-2007, 09:44 AM

21 posts, read 110,702 times
Oviedo (live oak) is very nice. That's where my family and I are heading. Plenty of professionals/hard working families in there. It can be a bit pricy. They are developping a new community and you can pay 450,000 for a 3500 sq Monterey brand new. The school they say is very good. Taking 417 Orlando is 15-20 minutes away. New restaurants and things will be coming soon as they are in the process of building a new downtown. (Read past comments). Keep in mind that you probably will not find everything that you need in one area.I live in New City NY, it is pretty safe yet a bit boring. We drive 20 minutes for excitement into Manhattan and other boroughs.
You can always try Winter Springs and Lake Mary(heathrow), watch for the school that feeds heathrow unless you do not mind private school. All of the neighborhoods that you mentioned plus Lake Mary(heathrw and Winter Spring are the best you might get around The Orlando area. Be careful not to miss on the best. It does happen.

Best of luck.
Yane.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdealvarado View Post
Hi! My family is moving to Orlando (Celebration) for business purposes. We have looked at many places in Orlando to live and ended up liking Celebration, but to afford the house we would like, Celebration does not give you much of a house or yard for the price. We live in a neighborhood that was modeled after Celebration in Gainesville, so apparently that is the type of neighborhood that we are trying to move into permanently. We have looked at Winter Park, Baldwin Park, Lake Nona, Avalon, Windermere("so called" WIndermere), Dr. Phillips, Oviedo and I can go on. We think maybe we are missing a neighborhood or missing something within these neighborhoods. We have a 2 and a 4 year old, so we are looking for good schools, but do not want to spend a fortune for an old house(as in Winter Park). We thought we liked Oviedo(Live Oak) and then when we decided to test out where we would like to eat, did not find an array of great places nearby. So, we are looking for a family- friendly neighborhood with good schools, educated people, nice places to go eat (more than a Sonny's)and shop, and a house at least 2100 sq ft, (preferably new) with decent prices. Any suggestions or does it not exist?

Old 11-26-2011, 11:17 PM

12 posts, read 32,383 times
Im in the same predicament you were in, where did you decide to move and how did your kids likemit.

Old 11-27-2011, 11:43 PM

8,217 posts, read 10,270,406 times
A lot of what you want may be affected by the price you want to be near. Winter Park is a great area for convenience, schools and dining. Newer homes will run from $400k up with few exceptions. Baldwin Park starts about 300k. Oviedo is a bit rural and remote. Windermere doesn't have the good high schools - prices in the 200-$5M range
Dr. Phillips- 350k + for the nicer areas.

Older Winter Park homes can be had from the 100's up. east orlando has 150's up and have the decent restaurants and shopping. Winter Garden - not such good schools.

The best for schools and dining/shopping would be Winter Park and Dr. Phillips or even the area S of Downtown - in the Boone District.

That's my take on things.

Old 11-28-2011, 06:42 AM

3,214 posts, read 5,251,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmj_fla View Post
Just what I was going to say! Harmony's prices are pretty good right now (much cheaper than Celebration) and they are getting a new elementary school and have a great High School (that is kicking butt in their sports program). Stay away from their "so-called" charter school. It is no more than a few portables with a fancy arch (that looks good in pictures) but has major problems.

Also, closer to Celebration is the four-corners area that includes Davenport, South Clermont and the Formosa Gardens area (Indian Ridge and Indian Oaks). There are many nice neighborhoods there that have nice yards and good schools.
Good luck!
One of her criterias was good restaurants-better than Sonny's type in the area. Harmony is sort of out in the Country with not a lot around it. It is sort of a drive to get to anything except for the new high school across 192.
Harmony is newer townhomes and homes but it can take forever to get through traffic on #192 to get from there to Celebration once the tourists are up and driving to the theme parks. We live in Melbourne area and son lives in West Kissimmee but we head up I 95 to 528 to 417 to get to his house because it takes forever to get through Kissimmee.
We can cut about 30 minutes off time to get there by using the tolls which take us miles out of the way instead of going straight across on 192.
For shopping people from Harmony often come all the way to the Melbourne area and we have had several who drove to Melbourne to work where I work, too. They loved where they lived over there, but put a lot of miles on the car.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando