Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2010, 09:04 AM

2 posts, read 3,676 times

Advertisements

I am a mother of two little boys....4 and 3. My husband and I just relocated here and we are looking for housing. Location is huge because of the boys...need safety and my oldest will be starting school this coming year. Also looking in the price range of $850.00.

I have been doing a bunch of research in regards to the areas and I am so confused, especially after reading reveiws and posts!!!! Most seem to have been completely negative on most of the places we have looked at or the areas!!!!!

I am looking for complete HONESTY regarding the areas!!! I am getting confused as to what areas are what and where, etc...still not completely familiar with the area....

So far we have checked out a place in Winter Springs...Park at Laurel South, Park at Vineridge in Altamonte, couple places off of Orange Blossom Trail...I have read tons of reveiws online about other places, but everyone is so negative!!!! Regardless of where it is it seem like.

If you do happen to post can you explain the actually area to me, where it is, etc...town, etc.
Getting very discouraged!!!!!

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2010, 09:07 AM

8 posts, read 17,265 times
where do u have to live???? in the Orlando area???????....or can u live anywhere in Fl????

Old 05-04-2010, 09:10 AM

2,563 posts, read 6,055,477 times
There are a lot of apartments off Semoran Blvd between University and 17-92 that would be in your price range. Closer to UCF is Spanish and College Kids, further away is Spanish families and older people. Since the boys are young you could probably get a 2 bedroom in your price range so you and your husband in one room and the kids in a second room. Definitely safer than OBT for the money.

Old 05-04-2010, 09:12 AM

2 posts, read 3,676 times
We would like to stay within a half hour or so of the Orlando area!!!!! Husband is in school in Orlando. Alot of the things I have been seeing have been horrible reveiws of the areas...really really bad, not safe, drug deals, etc. Its seems like everyone lives around here but has nothing nice to say!

Old 05-04-2010, 09:32 AM

4,167 posts, read 9,334,729 times
You have keep in mind that your budget is really limiting your options. Even if you could move up only a couple of hundred to $1000/month it would change your options dramatically. If your price range is an absolute, I would try the area mentioned along Semoran. Also consider Wymore road in Altamonte, somewhat older but much better option than OBT in my opinion. Also look in Sanford. And if you don't mind the commute I would look in Volusia in areas like Deltona and Debarry, it's really only a few exits up.

EDIT: Also remember that the majority people who post reviews on apartment websites are disgruntled former tenants. No one really says anything when their content. Just something to keep in mind. Park at Vineridge in Altamonte is fine as far as location, safety and schools. The area surrounding it is also fine.

Last edited by Crane's Rooster; 05-04-2010 at 09:52 AM..

Old 05-04-2010, 11:16 AM

2,563 posts, read 6,055,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crane's Rooster View Post
You have keep in mind that your budget is really limiting your options. Even if you could move up only a couple of hundred to $1000/month it would change your options dramatically. If your price range is an absolute, I would try the area mentioned along Semoran. Also consider Wymore road in Altamonte, somewhat older but much better option than OBT in my opinion. Also look in Sanford. And if you don't mind the commute I would look in Volusia in areas like Deltona and Debarry, it's really only a few exits up.

EDIT: Also remember that the majority people who post reviews on apartment websites are disgruntled former tenants. No one really says anything when their content. Just something to keep in mind. Park at Vineridge in Altamonte is fine as far as location, safety and schools. The area surrounding it is also fine.
Can't be stated enough

Old 05-04-2010, 07:14 PM

12,626 posts, read 32,046,770 times
There are some places in Lake Mary and Longwood in that price range. How many bedrooms do you need? Just sent you a DM with tons of listings in Lake Mary and Longwood.

Last edited by beckycat; 05-04-2010 at 07:35 PM..

Old 05-07-2010, 08:35 AM

43,854 posts, read 51,154,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crane's Rooster View Post

I so agree with you Crane's Rooster!! I get annoyed reading the posts in here from people who constantly complain about every area and make a big deal out of nothing. Granted, Orlando has it's worse areas to live, just as in any city, but you don't have to live in a high priced gated community to feel safe or have a nice place to raise your family. Overall, it is a great place to live!!!

I would personally stay away from the OBT area because it has it's own negative dynamics for a number of reasons, but there are so many other areas considered hard working middle class that are affordable and nice.

With so many deals and move in specials....$850 should get anyone a nice apartment or condo to rent. There are lots of vacant places to chose from.

Old 05-07-2010, 09:26 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,020,627 times
Semoran down near the airport might be an option. It's not perfect but it's fairly safe and there are apartments in your price range.

Old 05-09-2010, 07:07 PM

266 posts, read 1,161,684 times
There are a number of realtors on this site who could give you a great deal of valuable guidance. Just ask for a realtor's assistance - they all have good info.

I'm not crazy about the areas surrounding 436 near the airport -simply because the traffic is....uh....trying. Haha! And stay away from Orange Blossom Trail! I'm not posting negatively (keep reading), but I grew up near the trail and have seen the changes that have taken place - not for the better.

That being said....central FL is presently inundated with bank owned homes, short sales and vacant properties that are needing occupants. I agree w/Crane's Rooster....if you could bump up your budget just a little your horizon would expand greatly.

I'm not sure of the prices, but here are a couple of places I've seen rentals....
Oak Crest at Tivoli Woods has several homes available - ranging from 1700 sq ft to 3000+
Also, the area surrounding (Econlockhatchee Rd, Lee Vista) includes quite a few condos that might suit your needs. If you consider the Oak Crest community, you will find amenities like a pool, basketball & tennis courts, well lit streets, sidewalks throughout, and many other young families. A few yards down the street (literally) is a newly built recreation area with many other options - including a full gym that's under construction. This community is within 20 minutes of downtown Orlando. Could tell you lots more - inbox w/questions if you desire.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando