Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-04-2010, 05:44 PM

2 posts, read 4,247 times

Advertisements

We currently live in the country in SW WA state & are ready for a change. My 13 yr old daughter loves to sing & has been involved in drama for a few years, so we have been looking at possible attending Osceola County School for the Arts. I have heard good things about the school, and my daughter has her heart set on going there starting the 2011-2012 school year. But I have been reading this site & have become really concerned about moving to the Osceola area. We are used to living on 50 acres in an area without traffic or crime. I am beginning to wonder if the move would be a terrible idea.n I really know next to nothing about Osceola County. I have been searching homes on realtor.com & from the pictures, they look really nice. But looks can be deceiving.

If we move this is what we would need:
1) A safe/low-crime neighborhood in Osceola County within an easy drive to Osceola School for the Arts.
2) I also have 2 elementary school-aged kids that I need good schools for.
3) A good hospital within easy driving distance where I could get a job as a labor & delivery nurse, or mother-baby nurse.
4) I have been looking at houses on the NW side of E Lake Tohopikaliga (Oaks Golf Club area) & on the NE side of E Lake Tohopikaliga off of Neptune. Any thoughts or opinions on these areas?
5) We are looking for a 3-4 bedroom approx 2000 sq feet with a screened-in pool.

Any thoughts or help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2010, 06:12 PM

2,124 posts, read 4,483,479 times
I don't know anything about the Osceola School for the Arts, but if you find that Osceola County in general does not suit your needs, Dr. Phillips High School offers an amazing audition-only theatre magnet program. The program ranks among the best in Florida, always receiving top honors at the Florida State Thespian Festival. Also, every four years they travel to the Edinburgh Fringe Festival in Scotland to present a musical there. The school is also in a really wonderful, safe area of Orlando and all of the area schools (elementary and middle) are good too. There is also a major hospital down the road from the high school.

Sorry if I sound like an advertisement, but I graduated from the Dr. Phillips program and absolutely loved it.

Old 05-04-2010, 06:19 PM

26,585 posts, read 61,832,528 times
You are considering moving 3000 miles cross country with no guarantee that your child will get into this highly competitive school? What happens if she doesn't get in? Then you've moved three kids into an otherwise generally deploarable and often F-rated school system for what?

Seriously, I think you need to rethink this idea.

Old 05-04-2010, 07:19 PM

2 posts, read 4,247 times
Well, I wouldn't move across the country for the school unless we could apply & be accepted. I don't even know if they would allow you to apply if you plan to relocate there. We are just in the thinking phase anyhow. We are planning on selling soon & want to move away from the Pacific NW. So we are only tossing around ideas at this point & just trying to get more info.

Old 05-25-2010, 05:24 PM

1 posts, read 2,016 times
I am actually a graduate from this school, (class 2008) now, just like the Dr. Phillips alumni I am proud of my school and this school has done a lot for itself AND put itself out there(won awards etc etc).

Don't move unless your child can be that committed, and put up with what the teacher will run them through. Also, look at the type of singing she is into. I'm not sure about now, but if she is into singing mainstream music on the radio she won't be happy at this school.

If you want to know more about that school then message me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
View detailed profiles of: