Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2010, 12:25 PM

2,129 posts, read 4,509,869 times

Advertisements

Airboat rides and a rodeo?! Man, I never knew what I was missing...

I don't think Kissimmee is an awful place but it's certainly not really nice, either. Orlando in general has more entertainment options, dining, nightlife.. plus it's home to its own NBA team. Also there are other lakes besides Eola. At any rate, it's hard to compare a town to a city. To each his own.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2010, 09:45 PM

5,779 posts, read 14,573,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brinkofsunshine View Post
Airboat rides and a rodeo?! Man, I never knew what I was missing...

I don't think Kissimmee is an awful place but it's certainly not really nice, either. Orlando in general has more entertainment options, dining, nightlife.. plus it's home to its own NBA team. Also there are other lakes besides Eola. At any rate, it's hard to compare a town to a city. To each his own.
Osceola has a few big lakes whereas Orlando has chains of lakes, like Conway and Butler

Orange County also has Wekiva Springs, a great way to cool off in the sumemrtime, in Kissimmee, you have to cool off by going hotel hopping at their pools, or to Rainbow Water Park on Denn John Lane

Even with Celebration, Kissimmee and Osceola County have gone downhill as a whole. I remember when my family first moved here in 1995 Buenaventura Lakes and Meadow Woods (just over the Orange-Osceola line) was a relatively new development with a golf course, decent schools and decent people. The Osceola Square Mall was booming and had great stores and a movie theater.

Osceola Parkway ended at OBT, there ws no Super Wal-Mart on 192, or Osceola Parkway. No Napleton Chrysler, Celebration was being built, Poinciana was relatively new as well

Sad to say that 15+ years later, the golf course has closed. The Osceola Square Mall is dead, lost all its business to the Loop, and the two Wal-Marts on Osceola Pkwy and 192, crime has skyrocketed, and the school system there has gone down the toilet

Yeah Orange County has held up a lot better then Osceola has in the past 15 years

Old 05-08-2010, 11:08 PM

1,377 posts, read 4,212,021 times
Well let's see. Orlando has way too many disgusting areas I avoid at all costs, Semoran, OBT, Goldenrod, Sandlake, almost the whole area surrounding Metrowest, Pine hills, Parramore, Fl Mall area, Americana, Oak Ridge, Orange ave.just off the top of my head. Taft is disgusting too.
And they recently finished that fake "bridge" on the expressway which is tacky like most of the city.

Kissimmee is building a huge overpass on Osceola pkwy and John Young and widening Osceola Parkway and has added crosswalk signals and repaved all of Buenaventura Blvd and re-landscaped the area, not to mention plans to redevelop east 192 after they made west 192 much better. Because MORE people are moving down here.

The Festival Bay Mall has been a disaster from the start, feels like a ghost town just like the Fashion Square mall, while The Loop is almost always full. And the Premium outlets is always packed.

Lake Nona is practically considered Kissimmee, too. It's right on the county line and many Kissimmee companies are developing the area Kissimmee firm to build $3.5M Lake Nona mixed-use project - Orlando Business Journal:

But enough about the Kissimmee/Orlando debate. To me, everyday living in Kissimmee is much better than Orlando and nicer. But overall South Orlando and Kissimmee have ALOT more going on than North Orlando.

Old 05-09-2010, 06:56 AM

4,194 posts, read 11,691,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by **NoodLes** View Post
Well let's see. Orlando has way too many disgusting areas I avoid at all costs, Semoran, OBT, Goldenrod, Sandlake, almost the whole area surrounding Metrowest, Pine hills, Parramore, Fl Mall area, Americana, Oak Ridge, Orange ave.just off the top of my head. Taft is disgusting too.
And they recently finished that fake "bridge" on the expressway which is tacky like most of the city.

Kissimmee is building a huge overpass on Osceola pkwy and John Young and widening Osceola Parkway and has added crosswalk signals and repaved all of Buenaventura Blvd and re-landscaped the area, not to mention plans to redevelop east 192 after they made west 192 much better. Because MORE people are moving down here.

The Festival Bay Mall has been a disaster from the start, feels like a ghost town just like the Fashion Square mall, while The Loop is almost always full. And the Premium outlets is always packed.

Lake Nona is practically considered Kissimmee, too. It's right on the county line and many Kissimmee companies are developing the area Kissimmee firm to build $3.5M Lake Nona mixed-use project - Orlando Business Journal:

But enough about the Kissimmee/Orlando debate. To me, everyday living in Kissimmee is much better than Orlando and nicer. But overall South Orlando and Kissimmee have ALOT more going on than North Orlando.
lol you just listed the run down areas of Orlando and the nicer areas of Kissimmee. The loop is a small version of Waterford lakes town center (which is always packed too). And Orlando has malls like the FL mall and mall at millenia which blows the loop out of the water. And Lake nona is Orlando. Orlando has better health care, schools (public schools, UCF, Valencia), better jobs, and much more nicer areas than Kissimmee. I just can't see how Kissimmee is better, especially by you, someone who always complains about wanksters and and annoying people.

Old 05-09-2010, 08:39 AM

995 posts, read 1,695,029 times
I don't know why anyone would decide between north Orlando and south Orlando when there are some great downtown neighborhoods. So much more to offer while also having the best of both. If you read all the threads on this forum (and I've read most of them) you'll find a huge disparity between the people that live in downtown areas and those living out in the burbs. Generally speaking, the most miserable are in the burbs and the most positive are living downtown.

Old 05-09-2010, 10:48 AM

5,779 posts, read 14,573,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GLS2010 View Post
lol you just listed the run down areas of Orlando and the nicer areas of Kissimmee. The loop is a small version of Waterford lakes town center (which is always packed too). And Orlando has malls like the FL mall and mall at millenia which blows the loop out of the water. And Lake nona is Orlando. Orlando has better health care, schools (public schools, UCF, Valencia), better jobs, and much more nicer areas than Kissimmee. I just can't see how Kissimmee is better, especially by you, someone who always complains about wanksters and and annoying people.
Considering Kissimmee is filled with wanksters, wannabes and annoying people

Moderator cut: personal.

As somebody who lived in Kissimmee for 3 years, and Orlando for 7 years anything Noodles says about how Orlando sucks, I can throw something back about Kissimmee thats just as bad if not worse.

Lake Nona is in Orlando, but I think in due time Narcoosee Road south of the Orange County line will benefit with some real nice developments. Narcoosee in St. Cloud as well as Boggy Creek south of 417 wont be rural for much longer. The area north of East Lake Toho Between Boggy Creek and Narcoosee and south of 417 is gonna be a gorgeous prosperous area one day

Last edited by Granny Sue; 05-09-2010 at 07:03 PM.. Reason: not necessary

Old 05-09-2010, 01:12 PM

717 posts, read 2,808,527 times
I agree with what daviej says about the Lake Nona area when the "medical city" really starts to take hold and grow. Obviously those are going to be some well paying jobs for that sector of town which will contribute to growth in all supporting sectors of the economy.

I suppose I am really looking more at the demographics of the population--which I don't even want to bring up because that will just start a huge bashing about different prejudices, etc. I'm not prejudiced. I have many friends of many different races.

Old 05-09-2010, 05:42 PM

92 posts, read 227,434 times
noodles hate to break it to ya but orlando is far from being the 'fakest' city in florida, I'd chalk that up to Miami or Ft. Lauderdale.I live in conway and I dig it so far, 15min max from downtown/the arena ect, 20min from disney universal etc, 10min to the fl mall. parts of it are run down sure but a far cry from being ghetto. and trust me, I know ghetto I've lived in some of the nastier ones in south fl.

Old 05-09-2010, 09:11 PM

189 posts, read 436,063 times
Are we seriously arguing between kissimmee and orlando?? wooow!!
enough said, there is no comparison

Old 05-10-2010, 11:39 AM

2 posts, read 4,465 times
I have wanted to move to Orlando for many years and put it off until my recent vacation to Kissimmee. I hope I am not making a mistake. With all the bickering about North or South I am totally confused. I would like to hear something positive about Orlando area in general that will make me feel more confident. I am originally from the west side of Chicago, so crime is and urban environment are my roots but not in my future plans. I went on OBT while on my visit and it was nowhere near what we call the ghetto where I am from. I guess I will visit again and see what comes out after dark. Any positive posts or leads to the right neighborhoods would be great. Enough with the negative..it's making me ill.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando