Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2010, 12:58 PM

8,963 posts, read 8,913,449 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavieJ89 View Post
Orlando's culture isn't "wild" like Miami and it's not as liberal. But we're not as backwards and conservative as Tampa/St. Pete or Jacksonville either

Orlando is a culturally middle of the road city. Which I think is how it oughta be. Being too progressive or too conservative is a bad thing.

Clothing is really no different then most other cities in America. The trendy people wear Ed Hardy, Hollister (insert trendy over priced douche bag brand name here) The hip hop crowd wears Sean John, Jordans, saggy pants. The skate park crowd wears Vans, flannel shirts, and skinny jeans, and the remaining individuals like me, choose our own personal style with what is comfortable and wear usually just a good ole fashioned tshirt and jeans, or something that suits their individuality. (Though I must point out I'm only vouching for my age group ages 18-22)

Orlando is different then Miami, which in a way is like an east coast Las Vegas, its a party city. Orlando is a unique city, with unique social cliques and crowds, which are quite varied. We have quite an eclectic mix of folks here

There really is no city like Orlando, IMO

Backwards and conservative? Those go hand in hand?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2010, 03:19 PM

8,289 posts, read 13,560,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phylos View Post
Culture in Orlando is bland, boring and predictable homogeneous people as a whole. Ideals and mindsets alike. Even though it's transient it's still the south and it has a very wolfpack type of mentality, very myopic and self centered. The exception is rare and you will find some pockets of creativity and original refreshing people but it's highly unlikely. If you're young and from somewhere that has a broad view of life, run like hell and don't look back.
I agree with your assertions. Orlando is a bland & boring city and of course I'm from Miami but have been living here for a few years now. There is just so much more to do in Miami. I used to vacation here and have been at conventions also but that was only for a few days. Living here is a different story. If your not into theme parks this place gets dull pretty quick!

Old 05-23-2010, 03:58 PM

184 posts, read 438,090 times
Orlando is more family orientaded and conservative, which is what I like!

Old 05-23-2010, 04:00 PM

184 posts, read 438,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiRob View Post
I agree with your assertions. Orlando is a bland & boring city and of course I'm from Miami but have been living here for a few years now. There is just so much more to do in Miami. I used to vacation here and have been at conventions also but that was only for a few days. Living here is a different story. If your not into theme parks this place gets dull pretty quick!
We LOOOOVE theme parks. Have Disney annual passes at all times. We don't even get to the beaches! I wouldn't even consider Miami. We were even bored in Hawaii. Give me Orlando anytime.

Old 05-23-2010, 04:31 PM

12,017 posts, read 14,316,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiRob View Post
I agree with your assertions. Orlando is a bland & boring city and of course I'm from Miami but have been living here for a few years now.
Try living in parts of the northeast and midwest outside of the big cities. That's boring.

Orlando is an interesting enough city because of what it has developed into over the last 20-30 years. You can literally fly anywhere you want across the country (and even internationally) from Orlando. There's also a big theater scene, music scene, a symphony orchestra and plenty of shopping and restaurant options. And of course world-class theme parks.

So no, Orlando isn't a boring city if you've truly lived in one.

Old 05-23-2010, 05:51 PM

4,194 posts, read 11,688,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by **NoodLes** View Post
Well said! Also got to point out that people DO dress differently day to day. One day I might dress flip flops, shorts, then the next day business casual, then jeans and shirt, etc. That wolfpack mentality is clearly shown from the posters here who think that people only dress one way. But, that's what you get when most of the posters here are barely out of puberty.
Most people I know dress in the same general style day to day. I don't know anyone who dresses gangster then dresses country the next day. People generally have their own styles. And the city is not boring.

Old 05-23-2010, 06:05 PM

2,563 posts, read 6,055,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavieJ89 View Post
I can't believe I forgot about the "redneck" outdoors crowd, considering my best friend classifies himself as a "country boy"

You're right about us being diverse and Orlando having a little something for almost everybody. I think the exception is we really don't have anything for people who love mountains. We'd have to drive to Georgia or Alabama for that

Moderator cut: off topic

As for the surfer crowd in Orlando, I never knew we really had one. I know a lot surf at Cocoa Beach, but I never thought it was that big. I always though the real surf crowd was in Los Angeles
Moderator cut: ophaned comment
I wear jeans and j.crew tailored shirts most days. I shop at Prime Outlets. I wear tailored because I workout and like a nice tailored shirt. I could give a **** what anyone thinks of my style though. Its not trendy or hip. I usually wear an item called 'jandals' which would be the cheapest flip-flops anyone here has ever seen. I got them while serving in the Peace Corps. Shoes still hurt my feet after not wearing any for 2 years. If I could walk around barefoot I would. My students all wear skinny jeans and saggy skinny jeans. And brightly colored high tops that I still have no idea if they were designed for girls or guys in mind. Purple is not in style, purple will never be in style. You young kids look like idiots. I saw a fit guy in khaki's and a nice collared shirt the other day. Overheard him mention he was going Army Officer. I wasn't surprised.

Last edited by Granny Sue; 05-23-2010 at 07:45 PM..

Old 05-24-2010, 06:50 AM

2,563 posts, read 6,055,922 times
Quote:
I forgot to add highly judgmental and high sense of self but not in a wise and humble way. And right on que we have a teacher no less talking about their students and how they look, wow no wonder our intelligence has gone right down some old rusty pipes. It's a shame really since I was born here in Orlando and have been here my whole life. There's still some good things here and there, but like I said. I feel sorry for those who come here on a whim and are young and still developing and expanding themselves as a person, I definitely wouldn't recommend it. There's no depth here, the people as a whole are about as shallow as a replica Gucci handbag, second rate material at it's wannabe finest.
Phylos,

I wrote a long reply to you, but it's just not worth it.

-Ender

Last edited by EndersDrift; 05-24-2010 at 07:11 AM..

Old 05-24-2010, 07:20 AM

51 posts, read 245,897 times
IMO, Orlando has quite a bit of cultural diversity. There are people living, not just visiting, here from all over the world. Many families moving here for work or retiring here really mixes a lot into our local melting pot.

There are a lot of southern influences but that's to be expected and perhaps admired. No matter what city you post something like this in, you're going to have a lot of locals claim it's the worst place on earth.

More often than not it's they have the "grass is always greener" complex and it's only a matter of time before they fall out of love in their new area.

Old 05-24-2010, 08:47 AM

2,168 posts, read 5,052,083 times
Quote:
The if you don't like it then get out mentality, awesome. And you don't think Orlando is over crowded and dirty for its size? Oh boy.
Downtown Orlando is one of the cleanest downtowns I have ever seen, bar none. It was also recently rated as one of the top 10 cleanest cities in the country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando