U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2007, 11:34 PM

972 posts, read 1,909,111 times

Advertisements

What would you guys say are the best 5 areas to live in the Orlando area.I'm in Miami right now but plan to move somewhere in the Orlando area sometime and just want to get an idea of what people think!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2007, 12:31 AM

95 posts, read 301,909 times
Different people have different needs and therefore like one area over another. Singles will be happy close to downtown but folks with kids want good schools etc. etc. Depends on what you are looking for.

Old 06-16-2007, 08:59 AM

1,682 posts, read 5,884,305 times
My top picks for various reasons.....

Windermere - if you've got the BIG bucks....

Winter Park - if you have the BIG bucks OR don't mind paying BIG bucks for a small, 50-60's style ranch home

East Orlando (NOT the area around 436) Waterford Lake, Vista Lakes, Lake Nona, etc. There are a number of GREAT, newer family friendly neighborhoods built in the last 10 or so years that are reasonable priced but much nicer and newer than what you'll find in the above two areas for the money. GREAT schools, great access roads that will take you anywhere in Central Florida quickly, and larger lot sizes than some areas.

Oviedo - Has most of the same advantages as New East Orlando but seems to be a little pricier.

Lake Mary - Good schools and has some very upscale communities, i.e. Heathrow as well as middle income homes - although the homes tend to be higher here. To me, Lake Mary is a little far out and you would be forced to use I4 to commute downtown, but it depends on where you work - you may not need that commute.

Having said that, know that all these areas have 'pockets' of places I wouldn't live - except perhaps New East Orlando and that is because it was developed out of the swamp - there are not really any old communities there. That is one of its appeals IF you like that kind of thing - everything is modern, fresh, clean and new. Some people love the older architecture, etc. think it gives a place character.

There are also some great communities in areas I didn't mention - but they may be very near so not so great areas - I have friends in great communities built in Longwood, Winter Springs and even Casselberry.

Old 06-16-2007, 09:26 AM

11 posts, read 71,548 times
is poinciana a good are 2 live in

Old 06-16-2007, 10:15 AM

1,418 posts, read 7,043,371 times
[I'm writing this without first looking at other responses]

1. Isleworth - multi-million dollar McMansion neighborhoods on Buttler Chain of Lakes - Nuvo-rich.

2. Windermere - Nice, quaint, area with large expensive houses on Buttler Chain of lakes

3. Dr. Philips area and Bay Hill - $600,000 - multi million dollar houses.

4. Winter Park - Old blue-blood expensive neighborhoods with a mixture of McMansions. The lowest price for a "dumpy" house will be close to $700,000.

5. Heathrow / Alaqua - newer area with large gated communities, golf courses and homes rangingin price from about $500,000 - multi-millions of dollars.

6. Orlando - Delaney Park area and Thronton Park - mixture of big "vintage looking" houses on small lots - mature trees - old city look to it, smaller renovated houses as well. $600,000 - $2,000,000.

7. Maitland - Nice older neighborhoods just north of Winter Park, very family oriented - average starting price is around $500,000.

8. East Winter Springs - $400,000 - multi million dollar.

9. Oviedo: Family oriented in East Seminole County: $350,000 - 900,000.

10. West Longwood: $400,000 - millions?

11. Lake Mary - just east of Heathrow. $350,000 - close to a million.

12. People also like Mt. Dora, which is NW of Orlando, but it is still considered a seperate city, and it is in Lake County. Tavares, Mt. Dora and Howey-In-The-Hills (yep, real place) are all towns on the large Dora/Harris chain of lakes.

Old 06-18-2007, 08:16 PM

28 posts, read 191,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zzNEWYORKzz View Post
is poinciana a good are 2 live in
No, you can see it hasn't made anyone list yet; but then neither has Celebration - Disney's answer to the real world

I don't get Windermere either, yes it is a cute little area, with dirt roads, grossly overcrowded and built up by thousands of subdivisions that want that Windermere address. 10 years ago, if you like dirt roads, it would have been nice, but now, I don't get it, unless you live next to Tiger in the Isleworth subdivision, but only if he gave out free golf balls

Old 06-19-2007, 05:50 AM

The dirt roads in Windermer keep the unwanted "outsiders" out. It's allways been that way. They don't pave their roads because they don't want a bunch of nosey "lookey lous" driving up and down their roads. And I can't blame them one bit! The best way to keep outsiders out of your neighborhood is to stop paving the way for them to move right next door to you.

Old 06-19-2007, 01:07 PM

28 posts, read 191,231 times
I've heard that before and it is just plain stupid and it sure didn't stop the massive traffic from overrunning the downtown area in the last few years. Yes, it may keep a few lookers from driving their residential streets, but I won't want to live on dirt, unless there are farm animals involved

I guess they don't have running water and indoor plumbing either

Old 06-19-2007, 02:00 PM

When I grew up in the suburbs of Orlando, most of the Seminole County roads were not paved. Even many Winter Park roads were not paved. In fact, it was quite common for people to live on dirt roads. I'm kind of glad that Windermere doesn't feel the necessity to conform by paving their roads because non-residents think its "stupid". Good for them! It wouldn't stop me from living in Windermere.

Old 06-20-2007, 12:19 PM

2 posts, read 50,511 times
I live on the north side of Orlando and think it is the best part of town
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando