Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2010, 06:55 AM

10,295 posts, read 9,670,282 times

Advertisements

GOOD MORNING, PEEPS !!!

Today's Question(s):
This subject came up at dinner the other night, so I thought it would be interesting to see what is done in different parts of the country

Is it customary in your area to tip for the following:
I don't know if it is customary in my area, yet I feel in some way we should always let those who have given us some type of service especially 'GOOD' service by offering them some kind of a tip, either in monies, drinks, eats, to say thank you and how much we appreciate their hard work !!!

Furniture delivery ? Never had this done to tip....
Appliance delivery & set up ? This also we have never had done to tip....
Moving men ? Yes
Coffee shop counter service ? Always...

Extra Credit Question:
When was the last time the power went out at your home ?
Back in December I think it was !!

When this happens do you use flashlights or candles ?
We have a generator. We bought for our 5th wheeler. Yet, it has been the best investment as it seems we have always lived somewhere, where the electricity goes out for days at a time.... !!!

Bonus Question:
How many hours of daylight do you have each day ? Lets see, it starts about 4:30-5am and anywhere between 9-10 pm, so that would be about 17 hrs. !!! Wow, I didn't realize how long our days were !!! My goodness, no wonder I need a nap

Just for Fun:
On this "First day of Summer" - what is your expected high temperature ? 78°F

Is there one "souvenir" you always buy when on a trip ? Not really !!

Who was the last person you shared a handshake with ? It was Saturday with our neighbor from across the street who came over to introduce himself while I was out side in the front with my fur buddies !!!

HAVE A GREAT DAY !!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2010, 06:57 AM

10,781 posts, read 8,707,628 times
[quote=Karla with a K;14704885]
Today's Question(s):
This subject came up at dinner the other night, so I thought it would be interesting to see what is done in different parts of the country

Furniture delivery ?
Appliance delivery & set up ?
Moving men ?
Coffee shop counter service ?

We don't tip here in Australia, as a rule. Definitely not in restaurants but everyone else, it's optional and not that frequent. Out of the list above, the Moving Men would be the most likely to get a tip - probably a six-pack of beer, or a twenty.

Extra Credit Question:

When was the last time the power went out at your home ? March 22nd. Quite the memorable storm that was. Hailstones the size of golfballs, rain coming down our walls and out of our ceiling lights. Dimpled cars. Billion dollars in damage claims in our city of 1.2 million people. Power went out early in the storm.

When this happens do you use flashlights or candles ? Both - have lots of big candles and flashlights with fresh batteries. Also, lots of little tea lights. And matches. Some antique oil lamps too.

Bonus Question:

How many hours of daylight do you have each day ? It's winter here now, so 10 hours of daylight. In summer, we get 14 hours.

Just for Fun:

On this "First day of Summer" - what is your expected high temperature ?

Exactly the opposite here. Our high was 21C or 70F on this shortest day of the year down under.

Is there one "souvenir" you always buy when on a trip ?
A piece of art by a local artist. Nothing fancy or expensive, but something we like.

Who was the last person you shared a handshake with ? New hire at work.

Old 06-21-2010, 06:58 AM

3,464 posts, read 1,892,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karla with a K View Post
Good morning everyone
Happy Monday
Happy first day of summer

Though from what I have seen it seems like "summer temps" have been visiting many of the QOTD family for awhile already

Today's Question(s):

Furniture delivery ?
Moving men ?

Extra Credit Question:

When was the last time the power went out at your home ? ..its been awhile...i think about 3 years ago when the transformer blew...

When this happens do you use flashlights or candles ? both...

Bonus Question:

How many hours of daylight do you have each day ? around 14...

Just for Fun:

On this "First day of Summer" - what is your expected high temperature ? 95*...with a 103* feel like....yuck...

Is there one "souvenir" you always buy when on a trip ? t-shirts...

Who was the last person you shared a handshake with ? jo the coke rep...yesterday...
happy first day of summer.......
enjoy...

Old 06-21-2010, 06:58 AM

2,080 posts, read 4,834,692 times
Hi!
Quote:
Good morning everyone
Happy Monday
Happy first day of summer

Though from what I have seen it seems like "summer temps" have been visiting many of the QOTD family for awhile already

Today's Question(s):

Is it customary in your area to tip for the following: These are the ones I would tip:

Furniture delivery No (isn't that included in the delivery and set up fee?)
Appliance delivery & set up ? No
Moving men ? ??? The last time we moved years ago, we moved ourselves...but I think I would tip moving men for a job well done..
Coffee shop counter service ? Yes

In my area it is customary to tip everyone and it makes me crazy. Even the drive-thru Dunkin Donuts has a tip jar...

Extra Credit Question:

When was the last time the power went out at your home ? A few weeks ago it flickered...when the power goes out here it usually comes back on quickly.

When this happens do you use flashlights or candles ? Flashlights...NO candles...have young children...fire hazard

Bonus Question:

How many hours of daylight do you have each day ? Last night I noticed that at 9:15 pm it was dark outside but the sky was still light..I would guess about 14 hours of daylight

Just for Fun:

On this "First day of Summer" - what is your expected high temperature ? 86

Is there one "souvenir" you always buy when on a trip ? Salt water taffy

Who was the last person you shared a handshake with ? The Dr. at the Vets office that took great care of my pooch

Today in History:
1768 - 1st U.S. bachelor of medicine degree, Dr. John Archer
1857 - In Waco, Texas, a young pharmacist called Charles Alderton invented the soft drink "Dr Pepper"
1879 - F. W. Woolworth opens 1st store
1893 - 1st Ferris wheel premieres at Chicago's Columbian Exposition
1948 - 33 1/3 RPM LP record introduced (DR Peter Goldmark-Columbia Records)
1975 - "Jaws" by Steven Spielberg opens
1978 - Andrew Lloyd Webber and Rice's musical "Evita," premiers in London

Word of the Day:
tutelary \TOO-tuh-lair-ee; TYOO-\ , adjective:
Having the guardianship or charge of protecting a person or a thing;

Today is:
National Peaches and Cream Day
First Day of Summer
Dr. Pepper Day
Go Skateboarding Day
Baby Boomer's Recognition Day
World Handshake Day
Daylight Appreciation Day
Have a great summer day!

Old 06-21-2010, 06:59 AM

43,854 posts, read 50,996,243 times
BABY BOOMERS APPRECIATION DAY!

Fun 60's quotes:
Being president is like being a jackass in a hailstorm. There's nothing to do but to stand there and take it.Lyndon B. Johnson

"But what [...] is it good for?" - Engineer at the Advanced Computing Systems Division of IBM, 1968, commenting on the microchip.

"And for the tourist who really wants to get away from it all, safaris in Vietnam." - Newsweek magazine, predicting popular holidays for the late 1960s.

"We don't like their sound. Groups of guitars are on the way out." - Decca executive, 1962, after turning down the Beatles.

"With over 50 foreign cars already on sale here, the Japanese auto industry isn't likely to carve out a big slice of the US market." - Business Week, August 2, 1968

Hubert Humphrey talks so fast that listening to him is like trying to read Playboy magazine with your wife turning the pages.
Barry M. Goldwater

Old 06-21-2010, 07:00 AM

44,300 posts, read 19,967,508 times
Today's Question(s):

Furniture delivery ? Not that I know of. (Although, I do have one friend who always tips everybody, for everything, including furniture delivery.)
Appliance delivery & set up ? Not that I know of.
Moving men ? Not that I know of.
Coffee shop counter service ? Yes.

When was the last time the power went out at your home ? Friday, 6/18.

When this happens do you use flashlights or candles ? Both.

How many hours of daylight do you have each day ? Changes every day. Today's the summer solstice, longest day of the year. Now, each day will be shorter than the one before, until winter solstice.

On this "First day of Summer" - what is your expected high temperature ? 87(F) with extremely high humidity.

Is there one "souvenir" you always buy when on a trip ? Nope.

Who was the last person you shared a handshake with ? A bunch of people in church yesterday. Not sure who was last.

Have an excellent week, everyone!

Old 06-21-2010, 07:01 AM

20,549 posts, read 30,320,797 times
Good morning

Is it customary in your area to tip for the following: I don't think anyone tips in my area.....people are shocked when we give them tips

Furniture delivery ? We do and we help them bring it into the house and set it up.
Appliance delivery & set up ? We do if they did a good job "and" we didn't help them set up, move it, or install it
Moving men ? That would be us....and I haven't gotten tipped yet.
Coffee shop counter service ? We always do.

When was the last time the power went out at your home ? Never...we make our own power

When this happens do you use flashlights or candles ? N/A.

How many hours of daylight do you have each day ????? Right now about 14.

On this "First day of Summer" - what is your expected high temperature ? 88

Is there one "souvenir" you always buy when on a trip ? No, I don't buy junk I mean souvenirs

Who was the last person you shared a handshake with ? The couple who bought our property.

Have a great day.

Old 06-21-2010, 07:06 AM

11,874 posts, read 11,026,946 times
Quote:

Today's Question(s):

Furniture delivery ?
Moving men ?

I tip all of the above - I know a lot who don't at any 'counter' food place, but I always throw something in their jar. Not like they're making a lot of money in salary.

Extra Credit Question:

When was the last time the power went out at your home ? Well Karla now you're going to jinx me LOL had huge thunderboomers with lightening last weekend and through the week, but the power stayed on. I'd say it's been maybe 2 weeks? Of course now that I've said that it will probably go out while I'm typing this.

When this happens do you use flashlights or candles ? Kerosene lanterns and candles. Use them anyway at night, but they're particularly handy if power goes out.

Bonus Question:

How many hours of daylight do you have each day ? well starts getting light I think around 6:00-6:15AM and dark by around 7:00PM? Never really paid attention because it's pretty consistent year round.

Just for Fun:

On this "First day of Summer" - what is your expected high temperature ? Probably mid-60's? Looks like more rain so it'll stay cool.

Is there one "souvenir" you always buy when on a trip ? T-shirts

Who was the last person you shared a handshake with ? Probably the painter at the office on Saturday.

Today in History:
1768 - 1st U.S. bachelor of medicine degree, Dr. John Archer
1857 - In Waco, Texas, a young pharmacist called Charles Alderton invented the soft drink "Dr Pepper" My fav!
1879 - F. W. Woolworth opens 1st store
1893 - 1st Ferris wheel premieres at Chicago's Columbian Exposition Now ferris wheels I like - just not those dang roller coasters.
1948 - 33 1/3 RPM LP record introduced (DR Peter Goldmark-Columbia Records)
1975 - "Jaws" by Steven Spielberg opens remember seeing that in the theatre and being scared to death.
1978 - Andrew Lloyd Webber and Rice's musical "Evita," premiers in London

Word of the Day:
tutelary \TOO-tuh-lair-ee; TYOO-\ , adjective:
Having the guardianship or charge of protecting a person or a thing;

Today is:
National Peaches and Cream Day
First Day of Summer well not here
Dr. Pepper Day
Go Skateboarding Day sure though one of the kids will go zooming down the sidewalk on one.
Baby Boomer's Recognition Day
World Handshake Day
Daylight Appreciation Day
Have a good one everybody. Have to get to the office much earlier than norm with workers there - as if Mondays aren't long enough.

Old 06-21-2010, 07:08 AM

10,090 posts, read 42,326,225 times

Today's Question(s):

Furniture delivery ?
Moving men ?
Coffee shop counter service ? I not sure if it is so much parts of the country, but the individual person. But yes, we do tip for all of these services.

Extra Credit Question:

When was the last time the power went out at your home ?It will go out for a few seconds quite often. But it has been yrs, that it has been out for more than 15 minutes.

When this happens do you use flashlights or candles ? Flashlights. Cats and candles don't mix.

Bonus Question:

How many hours of daylight do you have each day ?
14 1/2

Just for Fun:

On this "First day of Summer" - what is your expected high temperature ? 96

Is there one "souvenir" you always buy when on a trip ?Usually a tee shirt and/or a Starbucks coffee mug

Who was the last person you shared a handshake with ?General Mgr. of a car dealership

Old 06-21-2010, 07:13 AM

14,688 posts, read 26,535,443 times
Today's Question(s):

Furniture delivery ? Don't know if it is customary, but I don't do it
Appliance delivery & set up ? Don't know if it is customary, but I don't do it
Moving men ? Don't know if it is customary, but I don't do it
Coffee shop counter service ? Don't know if it is customary, but I don't do it

Extra Credit Question:

When was the last time the power went out at your home ? Last week. There were some bad storms.

When this happens do you use flashlights or candles ? Depends on how long it is out. Flashlights for short term, candles for long.

Bonus Question:

How many hours of daylight do you have each day ? RIght now, a lot. From like 6 something am until around 8:30 pm

Just for Fun:

On this "First day of Summer" - what is your expected high temperature ? 95 F

Is there one "souvenir" you always buy when on a trip ? I almost always buy a hat

Who was the last person you shared a handshake with ? My FIL on Sunday.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics