Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2010, 10:26 AM

15,927 posts, read 8,138,809 times

Advertisements

On the very rare occasion that I go shopping at a mall. I put pink sponge curlers in my hair, wear a bathrobe over my clothes, my bunny slippers on my feet, smear my lipstick on my face, and act derainged. That usually keeps those pesky sales people away!!!! LOL!!!

It embarrasses the heck out of DH, though!!!

J/K
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2010, 10:47 AM

25,464 posts, read 13,574,744 times
Oh my, having been a salesperson at one time and a Realtor for 22 years, I do know how y'all feel. One of our sons was a Realtor also and worked for me and then later a new car salesman for many years. We both were aware of the 'pushy' side of sales and did our best to not be that way. However, we both were also aware of the games that 'buyers' sometime played.

I think that we both knew when to back off and just 'lurk' by the sidelines!! lol...Then pounce on'em. JK...Anyway, my point is that I've been on both sides of this fence and appreciate both scenarios. Unfortunately there are players on both sides and make it look bad for the good ones out there. Now the 'phone' sales? Oh my. I tried that also when I was very, very much younger. Whew........never again. That has to be one of the most unappreciated jobs ever. Calling random numbers and trying your best to speak professionally, keep their interest and get appointments, make the sale, etc.

Flipping hamburgers in a local restaurant was a better choice until my bookkeeping job came along. Oh yes.

Old 06-28-2010, 10:55 AM

12,169 posts, read 17,647,423 times
I find those, "Live Chat" pop ups annoying, when I shop on line. When the personal shopper asks me if I need help finding anything, I ask, if she has any ladies pants half off.

Old 06-28-2010, 11:07 AM

54,498 posts, read 33,866,725 times
Another way you can get a pushy sales person away from you is by pretending you're very sick, and cough a lot...

Old 06-28-2010, 11:34 AM

28,803 posts, read 47,699,483 times
I don't answer the land line. We only have it for Mrs. Tek's work and when she retires it will likely go away. I have over 60 contacts in my cell phone that are "Telemarket". When it tells me I have a call from Telemarket you know what I do...

I don't answer the door unless I know someone is coming to the house.

I tell sales people I'm browsing. If they bother me past that I let them know they have two choices: Go away and leave me alone and maybe make a sale if I find something I want, or watch me walk out the door. The smart ones figure it out. I have been know to discourage sales people with a look. Mrs. Tek laughs her butt off when I do that. Kinda ruins the moment...

I used to work in a nursery (flowers and such) and the gentleman that trained us taught us to always let a customer know we were aware of them even if everyone was busy with other customers. If you walked in the door at least one person would say, "We are all busy, but someone will be with you as soon as possible." If a customer told us they were browsing, we told them to let us know if they had any questions. They may be told this multiple times, but as long as it's not the same sales person over and over most customers won't mind.

Worked like a charm.

Old 06-28-2010, 11:43 AM

20,797 posts, read 9,743,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elizamary View Post
Anyone ever come across these good looking guys trying to sell nail products in the mall.
They see you come and prance up to you with love and a big smile cuz they want to show how their buffer and cream makes your nails like nothing you have ever seen.

Got suckered into this once and never again. I walk on buy and I'm not polite either. They still come prancing down the mall after me and I almost have to use restraint. LOL
I was walking by one day minding my own business and one of those jerks grabbed my hand and started buffing...I almost decked him

I hate it when people chase you in the mall....The second they make eye contract with me I just say NO

Old 06-28-2010, 11:44 AM

10,229 posts, read 16,301,087 times
I don't answer the answer the phone, but the only telemarketers I get (who leave messages, anyway) are from communication companies. And I always cringe when elections time rolls around because I get a lot of loooong campaign messages.

In stores . . . Good way to make me walk out without a purchase! I don't want to have to tell a salesperson twice to leave me alone.

And, yes, Crazyworld, those mall kiosk people are incredibily annoying!

Old 06-28-2010, 11:45 AM

5,987 posts, read 11,674,449 times
I tell tell them "I can't talk to you know. The people next door are going swimming tomorrow." That is generally met with silence and then something like "What does that have to do with it?" If I don't want to talk to you any reason will do

Old 06-28-2010, 02:03 PM

114,838 posts, read 65,832,592 times
Our last remaining dinosaur Newspaper is guilty as charged... They send kids to our door constantly begging us to take the paper. Many will absolutely not take no for an answer. I'll listen for amusement for a moment then give them the boot!

Old 06-28-2010, 02:36 PM

8,746 posts, read 9,032,916 times
If it's a pushy person on the phone I just simply say "Oh, I forgot something, I've gotta go!" and hang up. It it's in a store I usually don't say anything because they will persist anyway, I just leave and go someplace else or ask for another salesperson if I need help. I've never understood pushy salespeople. It's a failed sales strategy. I used to work in commision sales when I was younger and I usually made more overall sales, especially repeat sales, than the pushy sales people I worked alongside. I always tried to treat my potential customers exactly how I would like to be treated. By watching some of my co-workers I noticed very quickly how irritated people get when they are hassled like that and they usually won't come back if you treat them that way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics