Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2010, 02:20 PM

2,788 posts, read 5,092,366 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidwesternBookWorm View Post
Happy Independence Day, everyone!

We just got back from a spectacular fireworks display up at Warner Park, one of the best we’ve ever seen, featuring both a flyover by a contingent of Air National Guard F-16s and an astounding performance by the Golden Knights, the elite Army parachute team. It was amazing!

And now I’m drenched in sweat, covered in Deet, my hair is decorated with sawdust from some emergency tree surgery earlier today, and I desperately need a shower and my bed, in that order. But before I toddle off that direction, let’s all get an early start on:

Today’s Question(s):

Does your community celebrate Independence Day with a:

Parade?
Carnival or fair or festival?
Baseball game or other sports event?
Block parties?
Fireworks?
Other?

Bonus Question:

Are there any kinds of fireworks that are legal for private citizens to set off in your community?

What kinds?

Have you ever bent the rules just a teensy little bit so you could shoot off a bottle rocket or a Roman candle?

Extra Credit Question:

For those who have a vehicle, do you:

Lease your car?
Own your car?

Inquiring Minds Want to Know Question:

It’s Family Day! Which member of your family did you most recently talk with?

Was it in person, on the phone, by Skype or IM, or some other method?

Who is (or was) the “black sheep” of your family?

Just for Fun:

What kinds of creepy-crawly-buzzy critters do you have in your neck of the woods?

Which one do you most wish you could send on a one-way trip to the dark side of the moon?

Today in History:
1054 – A supernova near the star Tauri is observed by the Chinese, the Arabs and possibly by American Indians. For several months, it remains bright enough to be seen during the day. Its remnants form the Crab Nebula.
1636 – The City of Providence, Rhode Island is established
1776 – The United States Declaration of Independence is adopted by the Second Continental Congress in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
1802 – The United States Military Academy opens at West Point, New York
1817 – Construction on the Erie Canal begins in Rome, New York
1865 – Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland, written by Lewis Carroll, is published, and it has never been out of print since that date
1939 – Lou Gehrig, recently diagnosed with fatal Amyotrophic lateral sclerosis, delivers his famous “I consider myself the luckiest man on the face of this earth” speech during his retirement ceremonies at Yankee Stadium
1996 – HotMail, a free internet e-mail service, debuts

Word of the Day:
Pyrotechny \pī rƏ tĕk nē\, noun;
1. the art of making and using fireworks.
2. a brilliant and dazzling display, as of eloquence, wit, virtuosity, etc.

Today is:
Independence Day
Yankee Doodle Dandy Day
Big Brothers/Big Sisters Day
Family Day
Barbecued Spareribs Day
International Drive Your Studebaker Day

Today’s Question(s):
Parade?
Block parties?
Fireworks? going to see the firework show with a picnic and beer
Other?

Bonus Question:
Are there any kinds of fireworks that are legal for private citizens to set off in your community?
What kinds? all fireworks are illegal in colorado
Have you ever bent the rules just a teensy little bit so you could shoot off a bottle rocket or a Roman candle? of course, when I have some I'll light them

Extra Credit Question:
Lease your car?
Own your car? own my sexy # 1 red jeep and sexy #2 black jeep, yes I do call them sexy 1 and 2

It’s Family Day! Which member of your family did you most recently talk with? my kids
Was it in person, on the phone, by Skype or IM, or some other method? phone
my brother claims to be, so we just laugh about it

Just for Fun:
What kinds of creepy-crawly-buzzy critters do you have in your neck of the woods? ooh too scared to go find out
Which one do you most wish you could send on a one-way trip to the dark side of the moon? no one, everyone is here for a reason
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2010, 02:31 PM

14,810 posts, read 16,207,740 times
Today’s Question(s):

Parade?
Block parties?
Fireworks?
Other? We have a community picnic in the park.

Bonus Question:

Are there any kinds of fireworks that are legal for private citizens to set off in your community? I don't know. Kids do it anyway, legal or not.

What kinds?

Have you ever bent the rules just a teensy little bit so you could shoot off a bottle rocket or a Roman candle?

Extra Credit Question:

Lease your car?
Own your car? x

It’s Family Day! Which member of your family did you most recently talk with? grandson

Was it in person, on the phone, by Skype or IM, or some other method? in person

Who is (or was) the “black sheep” of your family? my sister always said she was because she was alcoholic and slept around a lot.

Just for Fun:

What kinds of creepy-crawly-buzzy critters do you have in your neck of the woods? it's a rural area so we have just about everything here.

Which one do you most wish you could send on a one-way trip to the dark side of the moon?
flies

Today in History:
1054 – A supernova near the star Tauri is observed by the Chinese, the Arabs and possibly by American Indians. For several months, it remains bright enough to be seen during the day. Its remnants form the Crab Nebula. Hmmmm....wonder why Europeans didn't see it.
1636 – The City of Providence, Rhode Island is established
1776 – The United States Declaration of Independence is adopted by the Second Continental Congress in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
1817 – Construction on the Erie Canal begins in Rome, New York "I've got a mule/ her name is Sal/ sixteen miles on the Erie Canal".
1865 – Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland, written by Lewis Carroll, is published, and it has never been out of print since that date A true classic.
1939 – Lou Gehrig, recently diagnosed with fatal Amyotrophic lateral sclerosis, delivers his famous “I consider myself the luckiest man on the face of this earth” speech during his retirement ceremonies at Yankee Stadium
1996 – HotMail, a free internet e-mail service, debuts

Word of the Day:

Today is:
Independence Day
Yankee Doodle Dandy Day
Family Day
Barbecued Spareribs Day
International Drive Your Studebaker Day when is Edsel Day?

HAPPY INDEPENDENCE DAY!!

Old 07-04-2010, 02:37 PM
bjh

60,096 posts, read 30,391,518 times
Today’s Question(s):
Haven't been to a parade this year, but saw some fireworks last night. Grilling some burgers and chicken later today. Meanwhile just kicking back.

Bonus Question:
I don't set off fireworks, so haven't looked into this.

We set off bottle rockets and firecrackers when I was a kid. Are those fireworks? I just think of those as finger eliminators, if you're not careful that its.

Extra Credit Question:
Owned outright.

It’s Family Day! Which member of your family did you most recently talk with? Was it in person, on the phone, by Skype or IM, or some other method?
One of my brothers texted about a car he just bought.

That brother. He's come a long way.

Just for Fun:
What kinds of creepy-crawly-buzzy critters do you have in your neck of the woods?
Too many to mention. This is summer in the south, ya know.

Squashed a "water bug," (ie roach) on the back porch yesterday. Once in a while once gets inside and gets dispatched asap.

Millipedes sometimes sneak inside in the spring and suffer a similar fate.

Skeetos buzzing outside this time of year don't mind coming in for a snack if they can.

The occasional fly buzzes in to see what's going on with its hundred eyes.

Outside the lightening bugs will buzz too. Them I don't mind.

Well, roaches of course.

Today is:
Independence Day
Yankee Doodle Dandy Day
Family Day
Barbecued Spareribs Day chicken or burgers here

Old 07-04-2010, 04:17 PM

401 posts, read 479,725 times
Today’s Question(s):

Parade? Not that I know of.
Carnival or fair or festival? No
Baseball game or other sports event? No
Block parties? No
Fireworks? Yes
Other? I believe they do just fireworks.

Bonus Question:

Are there any kinds of fireworks that are legal for private citizens to set off in your community? Apparently as I've seen a number of them for sale.

What kinds? I couldn't tell you what kind as I've never bought any of them.

Have you ever bent the rules just a teensy little bit so you could shoot off a bottle rocket or a Roman candle? The most daring I've ever gotten was setting off a sparkler.

Extra Credit Question:

Lease your car? No
Own your car? yes

It’s Family Day! Which member of your family did you most recently talk with? My dad.

Was it in person, on the phone, by Skype or IM, or some other method? on the phone

Who is (or was) the “black sheep” of your family? In my opinion, that would be my full sister who has decided she doesn't want anything to do with both sides of her family for some reason. No one has heard anything from her in years.

Just for Fun:

What kinds of creepy-crawly-buzzy critters do you have in your neck of the woods? Biggest nuisance is wasps/yellow jackets/hornets.

Wasps/yellow jackets/hornet. I dread getting stung.

Old 07-04-2010, 04:23 PM

604 posts, read 456,771 times
Happy Independence Day, Everyone! Hope you're all having a great weekend!

Today’s Question(s):

Parade? yes
Carnival or fair or festival? no
Baseball game or other sports event? no
Block parties? no
Fireworks? yes
Other?

Bonus Question:

Are there any kinds of fireworks that are legal for private citizens to set off in your community? all illegal, except for sparklers

What kinds?

Have you ever bent the rules just a teensy little bit so you could shoot off a bottle rocket or a Roman candle? no, never!

Extra Credit Question:

Lease your car?
Own your car?

It’s Family Day! Which member of your family did you most recently talk with? my mother

Was it in person, on the phone, by Skype or IM, or some other method? in person!

Who is (or was) the “black sheep” of your family? hmmmmmm, I don't know if we really have one.

Just for Fun:

What kinds of creepy-crawly-buzzy critters do you have in your neck of the woods? mostly mosquitoes, and horse flies!

mosquitoes!

Word of the Day:

Today is:
Independence Day
Yankee Doodle Dandy Day
Family Day
Barbecued Spareribs Day
International Drive Your Studebaker Day[/quote]

Old 07-05-2010, 01:50 PM

3,455 posts, read 2,787,312 times
Hello everyone... busy 4th weekend up here... very hot sunny days. 88 here now.... sorry for this late posting but have been enjoying a couple days tenting... sooooo nice. (no you r)

Today’s Question(s):

Parade?
no
Carnival or fair or festival? no
Baseball game or other sports event? no
Block parties? no
Fireworks? no but....we briefly watched the fireworks at two locations from Seawall beach way off in the distant. It was nice.
Other?
no

Bonus Question:

Are there any kinds of fireworks that are legal for private citizens to set off in your community? I think just sparklers is the only thing, unless your rich. Down near Bar Harbor there was probably some private fireworks going on. Those rich movie stars add them to the festivities

Have you ever bent the rules just a teensy little bit so you could shoot off a bottle rocket or a Roman candle? who hasn't?... enjoyed realitives who would come up to Maine to visit from down south and bring along some fireworks

Extra Credit Question:

Lease your car?
Own your car? this one

It’s Family Day! Which member of your family did you most recently talk with? brother #6

Was it in person, on the phone, by Skype or IM, or some other method?

Who is (or was) the “black sheep” of your family? its a tie in this family. Brother #1 and maybe I might be the newest member (but probably not) of the "Black Sheep club" (thats what happens when the "Big D" happens....

Just for Fun:

What kinds of creepy-crawly-buzzy critters do you have in your neck of the woods? usually it starts with blackflies and then later in the summer it changes to mosquitoes take over. But... during Sunday's cookout their seemed to be an abundance of horseflies

Which one do you most wish you could send on a one-way trip to the dark side of the moon?bugs don't seem to bother me too much. Last night the mosquitoes wanted to attack a little too much

Today in History:
1054 – A supernova near the star Tauri is observed by the Chinese, the Arabs and possibly by American Indians. For several months, it remains bright enough to be seen during the day. Its remnants form the Crab Nebula.
1636 – The City of Providence, Rhode Island is established - old stomping grounds...good food
1817 – Construction on the Erie Canal begins in Rome, New York
1865 – Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland, written by Lewis Carroll, is published, and it has never been out of print since that date
1996 – HotMail, a free internet e-mail service, debuts - sorry... gmail rules

Old 07-05-2010, 02:15 PM

4,596 posts, read 11,449,708 times
Default Here's to the red, white and blue!

Southport, NC, a small coastal town here has earned the distinction of hosting NC's officially-recognized Independence Day celebration.

I wish I knew the actual numbers drawn to Southport for the day. I imagine they are probably available online somewhere. The day begins with a parade -- everything featured that you can imagine. There are street vendors for all sorts of things; a juried art show; sailboat races and a flotilla (the days leading up to the 4th); a pageant for the NC Miss Fourth of July; coin shows; car shows; street dances; competitions for local bands -- usually featuring beach music, akin to rhythm and blues; and of course, fireworks on the night of the 4th.

Great, great fun if you are ever in the area this time of year.

Here, in our little neck o' the woods, we celebrate with a neighborhood party at the pool. Families bring dishes to share, and the kids play in the pool all afternoon, and up until dusk, at which time many will shoot fireworks to supplement what we can see in the night sky here.

There are a number of different activities in the general area of say, fifty miles, including parade(s), street fairs, art shows, street vendors who cook all sorts of treats, and the day generally ends with a fireworks display at dusk. Then, it's bumper-to-bumper traffic as everyone tries to get back home.

Fireworks that are legal for private citizens to set off in our community have to do with the size, and type of fireworks.
Of which, I am totally ignorant. I leave it to the professionals to put on the show! Fireworks scare me.

We own our two vehicles.
I am currently trying to decide what I want in my next car, aside from great gas mileage and being as green as I can get. It takes me quite awhile to decide as I tend to keep a car for 10 years, at least. My current vehicle is a 1994. I am leaning towards a compact SUV, or something with the features of a small SUV -- sits up a little higher, has cargo space (for the dogs). . .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics