Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2010, 04:56 AM

18,717 posts, read 30,979,760 times

Advertisements

Today’s Question(s):

So with Labor Day just a little over a month away, how many of you have seen stacks of loose-leaf paper, boxes of pencils, rulers and backbacks filling the aisles at your favorite stores?

Most definitely. And, we've started buying them (although for home use).

How many of you have seen Hallowe’en decorations and candy appearing?

No Halloween things yet... but the stores are selling snow blowers!!!!!

Bonus Question:

When you attended school, what was your favorite thing about the school supply shopping trip?

Choosing which "cool" notebook covers you wanted for the upcoming year.

What was the worst part about it?

Buying the ink cartridges when pens used to be refillable. I'm so glad disposable ball point pens were invented.

Extra Credit Question:

Since this is National Literacy Month, what is the title of the last book you read?

"How To Fix Your Plumbing In An Emergency"

Would you recommend it to someone else?

I hope I never have to!

As for a "literary" book, I just finished Pride and Prejudice again. I can never read that book enough.

Just for Fun:

August 1 is Homemade Pie Day, and I love-love-love to make pies! What kind of pie shall I make for you today? [/b]

Anything but Nutella Pie. I had my fill yesterday.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2010, 05:14 AM

16,894 posts, read 16,023,708 times
Today’s Question(s): Already? Geez, I just woke up....!...LOL!

So with Labor Day just a little over a month away, how many of you have seen stacks of loose-leaf paper, boxes of pencils, rulers and backbacks filling the aisles at your favorite stores?
I just woke up, I said. ^^^I DON'T KNOW.....NO! I'm drinking my coffee, alright?

How many of you have seen Hallowe’en decorations and candy appearing? You better duck!!!

Anyone noticed any Christmas decorations emerging yet?
AGHHHHHHH!!! NOOOOOO!!!.......

(coffee with honey.....it's so good...slurp, slurp, slurp!)...

Bonus Question:

When you attended school, what was your favorite thing about the school supply shopping trip? The smell of a new ream of looseleaf paper; buying and using a new plastic protractor; getting those reinforcements to put on the binder holes of the looseleaf paper.
Oh, and getting a ruler.

What was the worst part about it? It also meant that you had to go to school soon.

Extra Credit Question:

Since this is National Literacy Month, what is the title of the last book you read? A Field Guide to Reptiles and Amphibians of the Eastern United States by Roger & Isabelle Conant.

A big yes...it is the book to own!

Why, or why not? Nothing else compares to it....nothing else compares to the entire "Peterson Field Guide" series!

Just for Fun:
I like fun.

August 1 is Homemade Pie Day, and I love-love-love to make pies! What kind of pie shall I make for you today?
Key Lime....or Lemon Meringue. That's all I really like.

Today In History:
1498 – Christopher Columbus lands on Isla Santa, off the coast of what is now VenezuelaI wonder if they went fishing while they were floating around? I wonder what kind of reel he had?
1790 – The official date of the first US census, in which 3,939,214 people were enumerated Sto' what.
1876 – Colorado becomes the 38th US state Good.
1902 – The United States buys the rights to the Panama Canal from France We shoulda just TOOK it.
1914 – Germany declares war on Russia at the opening of World War I They coulda had a V8.
1941 – The first Jeep is produced Love the body, but reliability sucks.
1944 – Anne Frank makes the final entry in her diary Encore! Encore!
1960 – Chubby Checker releases “The Twist”
1981 – MTV begins broadcasting in the US, airing its first video “Video Killed the Rock Star” by the Buggles Okay, nothing wrong with that....but I'll be outside while you watch that crap.

Word of the Day:
Squinch \skwĭnch\
1 Noun: A structure, such as a section of vaulting or corbeling, set diagonally across the interior angle between two walls to provide a transition from a square to a polygonal or more nearly circular base on which to construct a dome.
2 Transitive Verb: To squeeze, twist, or draw togetherGood one!

August Is:
National Parks Month
National Literacy Month won't be a very big gathering these days, will it?
Admit You’re Happy Month Don't worry...be happy....
Romance Awareness Month Cool!
National Napping Month Great! That's for everybody, right? Cops, paramedics, cashiers, robbers, brewers....???
What Will Be Your Legacy Month
Alright, wisenheimer...what the hell does that mean? We got this far without the El Dumbo question and now we blew it.

Today Is:
Lughnasadh (Celtic harvest festival) "A Great Day for our Quiet Walker's Music"!!
Homemade Pie Day I will give my pie away....
Spiderman’s Birthday I buy him some bug spray.
Girlfriends’ Day Double cool! How many can we have?
~~~>LOOK, "CELTIC" IS GOOD!:

!!!

Thanks for the goodly questions for this day!
Good wishes for all you good people in C-D land on this Sunday!

Last edited by rainroosty; 08-01-2010 at 06:15 AM..

Old 08-01-2010, 05:30 AM

15,402 posts, read 28,856,394 times
Today is Spiderman’s Birthday? How web-a-rific!

After Saturday’s crisis with the mass counseling session and all those cases of Nutella that were consumed (and by the way, did anyone ever find Big Mike??)

I hear he was out buying stock. Specifically, shares of Nutella. He made a killing!

Today’s Question(s):

So with Labor Day just a little over a month away, how many of you have seen stacks of loose-leaf paper, boxes of pencils, rulers and backbacks filling the aisles at your favorite stores? How many of you have seen Hallowe’en decorations and candy appearing? Anyone noticed any Christmas decorations emerging yet?

LOL, good luck trying to find a swimsuit, they're being packed away and the Halloween costumes are being put out.

Bonus Question:

When you attended school, what was your favorite thing about the school supply shopping trip?

Buying the BIG box of crayons.

I can't recall. I'm sure there must have been some unhappy memories, but how good of my brain to have forgotten them.

Extra Credit Question:

Since this is National Literacy Month, what is the title of the last book you read?

Right now I'm reading "I'm a Stranger Here Myself" by Bill Bryson. Short humorous essays. Perfect for afternoons in a hammock.

I'm enjoying it. The kind of book I'd happily loan to someone but I'm not sure I'd recommend it as a book to go out of your way to find. It's mildly funny, not laugh out loud funny.

Why, or why not?

Just for Fun:

August 1 is Homemade Pie Day, and I love-love-love to make pies! What kind of pie shall I make for you today?

Apple. Makes me think of fall, and I'm in the mood for some crisp fall weather and apple pie today.

Old 08-01-2010, 05:35 AM

20,549 posts, read 30,300,257 times
Happy August. Thank you MWB for doing the QOD. I won't be around for a few days. Hubby and I are taking our granddaughter camping tomorrow.

So with Labor Day just a little over a month away, how many of you have seen stacks of loose-leaf paper, boxes of pencils, rulers and backbacks filling the aisles at your favorite stores? I saw them and bought some stuff. I always buy notebooks for 10 cents each. I use them all year long and you can't beat the price. Also got a big box of markers for my granddaughter for 70 cents.

How many of you have seen Hallowe’en decorations and candy appearing? Not really.

Anyone noticed any Christmas decorations emerging yet? Oh heck no.

When you attended school, what was your favorite thing about the school supply shopping trip? I love office supplies(not so much for school supplies) and always have. My father used to take me to a big office supply store when he shopped for his business. I loved it...all the different color markers, all the "organizing" stuff, notebooks, calendars, it's all good

What was the worst part about it? I had to go back to school, lol.

Since this is National Literacy Month, what is the title of the last book you read? Last night I finished Say Goodbye by Lisa Gardner.
Lisa Gardner » Say Goodbye

Would you recommend it to someone else? No...it was only okay.

Why, or why not? It was good because it took awhile to figure out the pieces but it was drawn out. I also didn't care for the relationship between the main character and her husband. This was not one of her better books.

August 1 is Homemade Pie Day, and I love-love-love to make pies! What kind of pie shall I make for you today? Chocolate Cream or French Silk.

National Parks Month
National Literacy Month
Admit You’re Happy Month
Romance Awareness Month
National Napping Month

It looks like it's going to be a great month

Old 08-01-2010, 05:37 AM

51,696 posts, read 15,644,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MidwesternBookWorm View Post
Good very early morning, all, and happy August! This is a month I?m always glad to welcome, as it heralds the conclusion of fiscal-year-end insanity and a return to the usual mere chaos that characterizes my life. I hope the month is bringing you good things as well.

After Saturday?s crisis with the mass counseling session and all those cases of Nutella that were consumed (and by the way, did anyone ever find Big Mike??), I certainly don?t want to delay Sunday?s QOTD thread any longer than I absolutely have to, so let?s dive on in and have some fun with:

Today?s Question(s):

So with Labor Day just a little over a month away, how many of you have seen stacks of loose-leaf paper, boxes of pencils, rulers and backbacks filling the aisles at your favorite stores? I haven't really paid attention since my kids are adults now but I've noticed the commercials for school supplies on tv lately.

How many of you have seen Hallowe?en decorations and candy appearing? Not yet

Anyone noticed any Christmas decorations emerging yet? No

Bonus Question:

When you attended school, what was your favorite thing about the school supply shopping trip? Seeing what notebooks with cool covers I was going to get. My main concern was what clothes to buy!

What was the worst part about it? Nothing that I can think of right now.

Extra Credit Question:

Since this is National Literacy Month, what is the title of the last book you read? "My Life Outside The Ring" by Hulk Hogan

Would you recommend it to someone else? If you like HH then you might find it interesting.

Why, or why not? It's a quick read, at least for me it was.

Just for Fun:

An apple pie would be good or a coconut custard pie .......I leave it up to you.

Today In History:
1498 ? Christopher Columbus lands on Isla Santa, off the coast of what is now Venezuela - He sure did get around.
1790 ? The official date of the first US census, in which 3,939,214 people were enumerated
1876 ? Colorado becomes the 38th US state
1902 ? The United States buys the rights to the Panama Canal from France
1914 ? Germany declares war on Russia at the opening of World War I
1941 ? The first Jeep is produced
1944 ? Anne Frank makes the final entry in her diary -Everyone should read her diary.
1960 ? Chubby Checker releases ?The Twist?
1981 ? MTV begins broadcasting in the US, airing its first video ?Video Killed the Rock Star? by the Buggles

Word of the Day:
Squinch
\skw?nch\
1 Noun: A structure, such as a section of vaulting or corbeling, set diagonally across the interior angle between two walls to provide a transition from a square to a polygonal or more nearly circular base on which to construct a dome.
2 Transitive Verb: To squeeze, twist, or draw together

August Is:
National Parks Month
National Literacy Month
Admit You?re Happy Month - If you say so
Romance Awareness Month
National Napping Month
What Will Be Your Legacy Month- Hmm..............

Today Is:
Lughnasadh (Celtic harvest festival)
Homemade Pie Day
Spiderman?s Birthday
Girlfriends? Day
Have a nice Sunday everyone.

Old 08-01-2010, 05:48 AM

5,987 posts, read 11,640,142 times
My schedule should be back to something close to normal. Brother and sisters are gone. The Lousy Little One is going home tonight. It's "take a lousy little one to work day" so he's comming to the track with me today. Thanks to all of you for your prayers and words of support. I found CD when I was home alone after my heart surgery so I expect I'll spend more time here for at least the near future.

Today’s Question(s):

Not only on display but the state had or will have (I don't know the dates) a "No tax on school supplies" sale to help during tough times

Not that I noticed

Bonus Question:

I hated school and everything to do with it.

I really disliked, and still do, buying clothes.

Extra Credit Question:

When Jesus Whispers Your Name by Max Lucado

I would almost insist, if you claim Jesus as your savior, that you read it.

Why, or why not?
It is an easy reading style with each chapter a short story that makes you think about the call of God in every day things.

Just for Fun:

Pecan Pie with a cup of yesterday's coffee, at room temp please.

Today In History:
1498 – Christopher Columbus lands on Isla Santa, off the coast of what is now Venezuela
1790 – The official date of the first US census, in which 3,939,214 people were enumerated
1876 – Colorado becomes the 38th US state
1902 – The United States buys the rights to the Panama Canal from France
1914 – Germany declares war on Russia at the opening of World War I
1941 – The first Jeep is produced
1944 – Anne Frank makes the final entry in her diary
1960 – Chubby Checker releases “The Twist”
1981 – MTV begins broadcasting in the US, airing its first video “Video Killed the Rock Star” by the Buggles

Word of the Day:
Squinch \skwĭnch\
2 Transitive Verb: To squeeze, twist, or draw together

August Is:
National Parks Month
National Literacy Month
Admit You’re Happy Month
Romance Awareness Month
National Napping Month

Today Is:
Homemade Pie Day
Spiderman’s Birthday
Girlfriends’ Day[/quote]

Old 08-01-2010, 05:48 AM

4,348 posts, read 7,337,383 times
Today’s Question(s):

So with Labor Day just a little over a month away, how many of you have seen stacks of loose-leaf paper, boxes of pencils, rulers and backbacks filling the aisles at your favorite stores? I have not noticed any more than normal. I think it is due to the high number of year round schools we have in this area.

None yet

I don’t think so, but they do push the holidays these days.

Bonus Question:

Been a long time ago, but I think it would be the new clothes for going back to school

Having to go with siblings which would take most of a day.

Extra Credit Question:

Since this is National Literacy Month, what is the title of the last book you read? I am reading three now
The epic life of Cornelius Vanderbilt, The Malacca Conspiracy, and Jesus Interrupted.

All three are good The Malacca Conspiracy is fiction and light action reading, the book on Vanderbilt is a biography, and the Jesus Interrupted is a deep book discussing the contractions in the Bible. Very heavy reading, but very interesting and my second time reading it.

Why, or why not?
I like all three books. They are all different subjects to feed three different parts of your thought process. I would recommend all three.

Just for Fun:

I don’t make pies now, but I doo have apple pie that is requested for holidays.

Today Is:

A little early to harvest here
Homemade Pie Day:
I may have to go to the store and pretend it is homemade.
Spiderman’s Birthday
Girlfriends’ Day
I don’t think so, Mrs. Cncracer has rules about such things.

Old 08-01-2010, 05:53 AM

11,032 posts, read 17,415,056 times
So with Labor Day just a little over a month away, how many of you have seen stacks of loose-leaf paper, boxes of pencils, rulers and backbacks filling the aisles at your favorite stores? Of course! School starts here August 11.

How many of you have seen Hallowe’en decorations and candy appearing? Yeah I saw the Halloween crap out already.
I AM surprised I haven't seen Christmas out already.

Bonus Question:

When you attended school, what was your favorite thing about the school supply shopping trip? How easy it was! I lived in a small town. The afternoon of the first day of school Mama would take us to the book store in town. All we had to do was tell them who our teacher was and they knew everything we needed.
A little hint for college students, my son found most of his books on ebay. Saved him almost $250!

What was the worst part about it? The hassle of getting everything together. Glad we're out of that part! lol

Extra Credit Question:

Since this is National Literacy Month, what is the title of the last book you read? Ancestors and Appetites. A small book my aunt wrote about growing up in our hometown.

Would you recommend it to someone else? Not really

Why, or why not? If you grew up there and were older you might enjoy it. Other wise most of it wouldn't be very interesting.

Just for Fun:

August 1 is Homemade Pie Day, and I love-love-love to make pies! What kind of pie shall I make for you today? Apple!!!

Old 08-01-2010, 05:55 AM

16,199 posts, read 11,635,890 times
Oh darn...I missed Sat session. Nutella? Toosie had to be involved. LOL
Happy August

Today’s Question(s):

So with Labor Day just a little over a month away, how many of you have seen stacks of loose-leaf paper, boxes of pencils, rulers and backbacks filling the aisles at your favorite stores? oh yeah

How many of you have seen Hallowe’en decorations and candy appearing?hum....no I haven't yet.

Anyone noticed any Christmas decorations emerging yet?lol....oh come on now.

Bonus Question:

When you attended school, what was your favorite thing about the school supply shopping trip?pens. Years ago we had fountain pens. I remember trouqoise was the color ink I loved.

What was the worst part about it? Not sure there was one. Ilike shopping for supplies. Best part of school.

Extra Credit Question:

Since this is National Literacy Month, what is the title of the last book you read? haven't been reading but was a nicholas sparks book. bring it to the pool but too many interruptions so I never finished it.

Would you recommend it to someone else? probably

August 1 is Homemade Pie Day, and I love-love-love to make pies! What kind of pie shall I make for you today? anything but Mud

Old 08-01-2010, 06:11 AM
Gue

24,118 posts, read 10,112,155 times
Good Morning!

Today’s Question(s):

So with Labor Day just a little over a month away, how many of you have seen stacks of loose-leaf paper, boxes of pencils, rulers and backbacks filling the aisles at your favorite stores? Yup!

How many of you have seen Hallowe’en decorations and candy appearing? Yup!

Anyone noticed any Christmas decorations emerging yet? No~Thank God!

Bonus Question:

When you attended school, what was your favorite thing about the school supply shopping trip? fresh new box of crayons..

What was the worst part about it? Trying on new school shoes, after running barefoot all summer...

Extra Credit Question:

Since this is National Literacy Month, what is the title of the last book you read? A new Green History of the World~by Clive Ponting

Would you recommend it to someone else? Yup!

Why, or why not? Fascinating information about the Environment..

Just for Fun:

August 1 is Homemade Pie Day, and I love-love-love to make pies! What kind of pie shall I make for you today? I'd like a tomato quiche please! That's a pie~sort of!

Happy Pie Day!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics