U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2010, 11:55 PM

5,685 posts, read 5,560,296 times

Advertisements

Good very early morning, all, and happy August! This is a month I’m always glad to welcome, as it heralds the conclusion of fiscal-year-end insanity and a return to the usual mere chaos that characterizes my life. I hope the month is bringing you good things as well.

After Saturday’s crisis with the mass counseling session and all those cases of Nutella that were consumed (and by the way, did anyone ever find Big Mike??), I certainly don’t want to delay Sunday’s QOTD thread any longer than I absolutely have to, so let’s dive on in and have some fun with:

Today’s Question(s):

So with Labor Day just a little over a month away, how many of you have seen stacks of loose-leaf paper, boxes of pencils, rulers and backbacks filling the aisles at your favorite stores?

How many of you have seen Hallowe’en decorations and candy appearing?

Anyone noticed any Christmas decorations emerging yet?

Bonus Question:

When you attended school, what was your favorite thing about the school supply shopping trip?

What was the worst part about it?

Extra Credit Question:

Since this is National Literacy Month, what is the title of the last book you read?

Would you recommend it to someone else?

Why, or why not?

Just for Fun:

August 1 is Homemade Pie Day, and I love-love-love to make pies! What kind of pie shall I make for you today?

Today In History:
1498 – Christopher Columbus lands on Isla Santa, off the coast of what is now Venezuela
1790 – The official date of the first US census, in which 3,939,214 people were enumerated
1876 – Colorado becomes the 38th US state
1902 – The United States buys the rights to the Panama Canal from France
1914 – Germany declares war on Russia at the opening of World War I
1941 – The first Jeep is produced
1944 – Anne Frank makes the final entry in her diary
1960 – Chubby Checker releases “The Twist”
1981 – MTV begins broadcasting in the US, airing its first video “Video Killed the Radio Star” by the Buggles

Word of the Day:
Squinch \skwĭnch\
1 Noun: A structure, such as a section of vaulting or corbeling, set diagonally across the interior angle between two walls to provide a transition from a square to a polygonal or more nearly circular base on which to construct a dome.
2 Transitive Verb: To squeeze, twist, or draw together

August Is:
National Parks Month
National Literacy Month
Admit You’re Happy Month
Romance Awareness Month
National Napping Month
What Will Be Your Legacy Month

Today Is:
Lughnasadh (Celtic harvest festival)
Homemade Pie Day
Spiderman’s Birthday
Girlfriends’ Day

Last edited by Crew Chief; 08-01-2010 at 04:51 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

25,444 posts, read 7,167,663 times
Good very early morning, all, and happy August! Happy August to you as well!! This is a month I’m always glad to welcome, as it heralds the conclusion of fiscal-year-end insanity and a return to the usual mere chaos that characterizes my life. I hope the month is bringing you good things as well. Thank you!

After Saturday’s crisis with the mass counseling session and all those cases of Nutella that were consumed (and by the way, did anyone ever find Big Mike??), I certainly don’t want to delay Sunday’s QOTD thread any longer than I absolutely have to, so let’s dive on in and have some fun with:

Today’s Question(s):

So with Labor Day just a little over a month away, how many of you have seen stacks of loose-leaf paper, boxes of pencils, rulers and backbacks filling the aisles at your favorite stores? They are beginning... and in the Newspaper Ad's as well.

How many of you have seen Hallowe’en decorations and candy appearing? Not yet... but soon I'm sure.

Anyone noticed any Christmas decorations emerging yet? No... way to early for that.

Bonus Question:

When you attended school, what was your favorite thing about the school supply shopping trip? None of it.

What was the worst part about it? Having to shop for school supplies!

Extra Credit Question:

Since this is National Literacy Month, what is the title of the last book you read? Oh for even sake... I have no idea... it's been so long since I've had time to read a book.

Just for Fun:

August 1 is Homemade Pie Day, and I love-love-love to make pies! What kind of pie shall I make for you today? Pumpkin!

Today In History:
1498 – Christopher Columbus lands on Isla Santa, off the coast of what is now Venezuela
1790 – The official date of the first US census, in which 3,939,214 people were enumerated
1981 – MTV begins broadcasting in the US, airing its first video “Video Killed the Rock Star” by the Buggles

Word of the Day:
Squinch
\skwĭnch\
1 Noun: A structure, such as a section of vaulting or corbeling, set diagonally across the interior angle between two walls to provide a transition from a square to a polygonal or more nearly circular base on which to construct a dome.

August Is:
National Parks Month
National Literacy Month
Admit You’re Happy Month
Romance Awareness Month
National Napping MonthI bet Nomadicus will like this one!

Today Is:
Homemade Pie Day
Spiderman’s Birthday
Girlfriends’ Day

131,622 posts, read 43,480,812 times
Good very early morning, all, and happy August! This is a month I’m always glad to welcome, as it heralds the conclusion of fiscal-year-end insanity and a return to the usual mere chaos that characterizes my life. I hope the month is bringing you good things as well.

Today’s Question(s):

So with Labor Day just a little over a month away, how many of you have seen stacks of loose-leaf paper, boxes of pencils, rulers and backbacks filling the aisles at your favorite stores? Haven't noticed

How many of you have seen Hallowe’en decorations and candy appearing? Haven't been out to see.

Anyone noticed any Christmas decorations emerging yet? Not me.

Bonus Question:

When you attended school, what was your favorite thing about the school supply shopping trip? New Clothes

What was the worst part about it? Nothing really

Extra Credit Question:

Since this is National Literacy Month, what is the title of the last book you read? I think it was "The Healing Foods"

Would you recommend it to someone else? Yes

Why, or why not? Interesting food facts.

Just for Fun:

August 1 is Homemade Pie Day, and I love-love-love to make pies! What kind of pie shall I make for you today? Blueberry

Today In History:
1981 – MTV begins broadcasting in the US, airing its first video “Video Killed the Rock Star” by the Buggles

Word of the Day:
Squinch
\skwĭnch\

August Is:
National Parks Month
National Literacy Month
Admit You’re Happy Month
Romance Awareness Month
National Napping Month

Today Is:
Homemade Pie Day
Spiderman’s Birthday
Girlfriends’ Day I have a few.... Shhhh.

Another great job MWBW...

Last edited by Nomadicus; 08-01-2010 at 12:03 AM..

Old 08-01-2010, 12:08 AM

5,942 posts, read 6,793,566 times
Good Sunday morning everyone! Can't believe it's August!!!

Today’s Question(s):

So with Labor Day just a little over a month away, how many of you have seen stacks of loose-leaf paper, boxes of pencils, rulers and backbacks filling the aisles at your favorite stores?
Haven't seen them yet, but I haven't been to those types of stores recently.

Same as above. :-)

No, not me.

Bonus Question:

When you attended school, what was your favorite thing about the school supply shopping trip?
Looking for cool, new look stuff.

Parents voting down cool, new stuff!

BTW, I love that Staples Back to School commercial with the song "It's the Most Wonderful Time of the Year". Classic!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwcYbo7pjto

Extra Credit Question:

Since this is National Literacy Month, what is the title of the last book you read?
"Honor, Courage, Commitment"... It's a look at the whole induction process and entry into the US Navy for prospective candidates.

Absolutely, if you've got a loved one thinking about going in, you both should read it.

Why, or why not?
It details the process from the authors view and include opinions at each step of the enlistees and the training staff.

Just for Fun:

August 1 is Homemade Pie Day, and I love-love-love to make pies! What kind of pie shall I make for you today?
I'm in the mood for warm Pecan pie with a scoop of vanilla ice cream.

Today In History:
1498 – Christopher Columbus lands on Isla Santa, off the coast of what is now Venezuela Wow, it took 6 years, huh?
1790 – The official date of the first US census, in which 3,939,214 people were enumerated They probably thought that was alot of people!!!
1902 – The United States buys the rights to the Panama Canal from France Too bad we screwed that deal up in the 70's
1941 – The first Jeep is produced What an American icon!
1960 – Chubby Checker releases “The Twist” I have the follow up "Let's Twist Again" on my iPod.
1981 – MTV begins broadcasting in the US, airing its first video “Video Killed the Rock Star” by the Buggles Also on the iPod.

Word of the Day:
Squinch \skwĭnch\

August Is:
National Parks Month They are great treasures in this country!
National Literacy Month Everyone should make this a main goal in life.
Admit You’re Happy Month Dammit, I'm happy!!!
Romance Awareness Month OK...
National Napping Month I vote YES!
What Will Be Your Legacy Month Don't care. I just live as the best person I can be. Legacies are for others to dictate.

Have a great day everyone!

Last edited by Stripes17; 08-01-2010 at 12:31 AM..

Old 08-01-2010, 12:10 AM

28,233 posts, read 21,185,036 times
Today’s Question(s):

So with Labor Day just a little over a month away, how many of you have seen stacks of loose-leaf paper, boxes of pencils, rulers and backbacks filling the aisles at your favorite stores? I've seen some, but since I'm not going back to school I don't really pay much attention to it..

How many of you have seen Hallowe’en decorations and candy appearing? Not yet.

Anyone noticed any Christmas decorations emerging yet? No, but seen some stores preparing for it.

Bonus Question:

When you attended school, what was your favorite thing about the school supply shopping trip? When I went to school, the school supplied the supplies.

What was the worst part about it? The short used crayons they gave me.

Extra Credit Question:

Since this is National Literacy Month, what is the title of the last book you read? Gone With the Wind.

Would you recommend it to someone else? "Frankly my dear, I don't give a damn."

Why, or why not? Because it's entertaining?

Just for Fun:

August 1 is Homemade Pie Day, and I love-love-love to make pies! What kind of pie shall I make for you today? Strawberry rhubarb peach pecan pie. Can you tell, it fulfills all my pie needs..

Old 08-01-2010, 12:10 AM

15,920 posts, read 4,705,223 times
Good morning everyone!!! Did we not make
lemonade out of lemons, today!!! Thanks to RDSlots, I never laughed so hard in my life!!!

[b][i]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MidwesternBookWorm View Post

Today’s Question(s):

So with Labor Day just a little over a month away, how many of you have seen stacks of loose-leaf paper, boxes of pencils, rulers and backpacks filling the aisles at your favorite stores?I have, but what's that have to do with Memorial Day???

How many of you have seen Hallowe’en decorations and candy appearing?Yes!

Anyone noticed any Christmas decorations emerging yet?Yes, at Hobby Lobby!!!

Bonus Question:

When you attended school, what was your favorite thing about the school supply shopping trip?new underwear!!!

What was the worst part about it? Having to be seen in public w/my Mother!!!

Extra Credit Question:

Since this is National Literacy Month, what is the title of the last book you read? Believe it or not, mty Bible!!!

Would you recommend it to someone else? Of course!!!

Why, or why not?It's the simple truth, written in a way no one can understand!!! LOL!!

Just for Fun:

Pecan, please!!!

[quote=Sweetie Pie][color="royal blue"]Have an awesome Sunday QOTD'ers!!!
[/Quotr]

Last edited by Sweetie Pie; 08-01-2010 at 12:40 AM..

Old 08-01-2010, 12:12 AM

4,310 posts, read 3,181,829 times
I am off to Africa in a few hours. I should resurface in a couple days.

Today’s Question(s):

Will be another three weeks or so before I get to see my favorite stores.

Ditto

And yet again...Ditto

Bonus Question:

When I was in grade school I always liked getting new pens, paper, binders and such. The only thing I hated was clothes shopping.

As I said...Clothes shopping

Extra Credit Question:

That would be my companie's loading manual.

Not likely

Why, or why not?
Somehow I just do not think most people would find much satisfaction curling up by the fireplace reading a technical book on loading airplanes.

Just for Fun:

Strawberry-Rhubarb

Old 08-01-2010, 12:29 AM

99,100 posts, read 25,855,529 times
Today’s Question(s):

Wal-Mart big time!!

Bonus Question:

Fancy notebook of pencil box!!
It was for going back to school!!

Extra Credit Question:

Jack & Jill!! LOL!
Sure!
Why, or why not?

Just for Fun:

Coconut Creme pie

Today In History:

Word of the Day:
Squinch
\skwĭnch\

August Is:
National Parks Month
National Literacy Month
Admit You’re Happy Month
Romance Awareness Month
National Napping Month

Today Is:
Homemade Pie Day
Spiderman’s Birthday
Girlfriends’ Day

Last edited by SATX56; 08-01-2010 at 12:41 AM..

Old 08-01-2010, 12:41 AM

4,022 posts, read 2,727,654 times
Hi MidwesternBookWorm! And thank you for doing this!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidwesternBookWorm View Post

Today’s Question(s):

So with Labor Day just a little over a month away, how many of you have seen stacks of loose-leaf paper, boxes of pencils, rulers and backbacks filling the aisles at your favorite stores? I haven't noticed any yet....but I go to Staples all the time and it always looks like school is around the corner.....

How many of you have seen Hallowe’en decorations and candy appearing? I saw a huge skeleton head with eyes that were lit in Costco today....

Anyone noticed any Christmas decorations emerging yet? Not yet..... Oh, I forgot: I went to the Hallmark store and bought some ornaments in July for my nephews.....I always get them the little Lionel trains....

Bonus Question:

When you attended school, what was your favorite thing about the school supply shopping trip? I don't think I had one.....we only bought what was necessary when I was growing up.....no frills for us. I was always happy to get new school clothes though! In college, I bought a lot of art supplies.....expensive but better than notebooks and binders....

What was the worst part about it? Well, with supplies came the thought of starting school, sitting in a classroom, not being able to be outside to play and ride bikes and annoy my little brother.... We wanted it to be summer forever!

Truthfully, when we were in grammar school, we didn't have to buy supplies...very, very few.....(we loved to buy those little colored pointy erasers that you could put on the end of a pencil though....and we were thrilled to have an art gum eraser because they didn't tear the paper when you had to erase the answer 883 times)....all of it was covered at school...our parents paid their taxes and we got our school supplies supplied....life was so different then....

In the upper grades, we had to buy binders, PeeChee types of folders for reports and binder paper and that was about it.... We, <gulp>, even got most of our information for reports from either the library OR Funk and Wagnals (did I spell that correctly?), that Mom bought, one at a time, at the grocery store...boy, you were livin' large if you had an encyclopedia set at home! (Forget Britannica....it was $$$)

In college, it was another story.....$$$

Extra Credit Question:

Since this is National Literacy Month, what is the title of the last book you read? I can't even remember......most likely one of Patterson's books....or maybe 'Long Lost' by Harlan Coben.

Would you recommend it to someone else? I like all of their books and characters, so yep.

Why, or why not?

Just for Fun:

August 1 is Homemade Pie Day, and I love-love-love to make pies! What kind of pie shall I make for you today? Fresh strawberry or peach......the kind with the glaze.... What time do you want me over?

Today In History:
1790 – The official date of the first US census, in which 3,939,214 people were enumerated Wow, not very many...
1876 – Colorado becomes the 38th US state A pretty state! Love the Rockies!
1902 – The United States buys the rights to the Panama Canal from France From France? I had no clue! I was probably doodling that day when they taught it in class....
1941 – The first Jeep is produced durable vehicles!
1944 – Anne Frank makes the final entry in her diary Such a sad time in the history of the world. My husband has an 8 x 10 framed picture of Winston Churchill in our house.
1960 – Chubby Checker releases “The Twist” I remember that! I was a little kid!

Boy, a lot of historical info today!

Word of the Day:
Squinch \skwĭnch\

August Is:
National Parks Month
National Literacy Month
Admit You’re Happy Month
Romance Awareness Month
National Napping Month

All good ones!

Today Is:
Lughnasadh (Celtic harvest festival) I can't pronounce this but sure like the music!
Homemade Pie Day What time did you say to arrive?
Spiderman’s Birthday not my thang.....
Girlfriends’ Day

Have a good one all!

Old 08-01-2010, 12:56 AM

8,640 posts, read 14,649,600 times
Default Happy Early morning to MBW and all...

Seen school supplies yet?
haven't noticed any, however, since I'm not a student and not the parent of one anymore, it just may not be on my "radar."
halloween?
nope. (thankfully)
Christmas?
nope.

Shopping for school supplies as a kid?

don't remember much, for me that was many moons ago! Favorite part? As Satx said, buy notebook of some type I suppose.

Last Book Read?
Well, like Sweetie Pie, yes my Bible was the last book I actually did some "reading" in, and yes, I would definitely recommend it, but entire book read recently would be...
Take Four by Karen Kingsbury, last in a series.
Recommend it?
Yep, I would recommend all of Karen Kingsbury's books pretty much. She is my favorite fiction author. I love to read. It is one of my favorite passtimes. I know sometimes people tell me they don't have time to read. I tell them~ I make time to read!

What kind of pie?
almost any! I'll say peach. I'll bring the vanilla ice cream to go with!

Happy August 1st! Here in the south, the only thing I like about August is...September's comin'!!

Last edited by kaykay; 08-01-2010 at 01:11 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics