Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2010, 10:59 PM

16,071 posts, read 21,144,062 times

Advertisements

So what is the 'merge point'? Is it when you see the flashing arrows, or the sign that says "lane ends ahead merge left"? Or is it considered the point just before the lane actually ends? I thought the whole point of the signs and arrows was to get people into a single lane well before the lane ends.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2010, 11:42 PM

39,031 posts, read 23,018,776 times
I wish that more drivers would be aware of pedestrians at the crosswalks. Why on earth does a driver have to cut a pedestrian off just to save a few seconds. In most (not all) intersections, a right-hand turn can be made on a red light as long as traffic clears but a pedestrian only has a limited window of opportunity to cross! What also irks me about that driver who wants to make the right hand turn is that they are looking impatiently at ME to cross not even realizing that I cannot cross due to cars turning left into my lane and a red crossing signal! As soon as I get my green light to cross, the idiot impatiently rushes to make their right! I really wish drivers would be more considerate of us pedestrians!

Old 08-20-2010, 08:52 AM

43,854 posts, read 51,179,793 times
My kids make fun of me all the time because I'm such a granny driver. People who drive faster than they can think always scare me.

Old 08-20-2010, 09:25 AM

19,517 posts, read 9,537,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
So what is the 'merge point'? Is it when you see the flashing arrows, or the sign that says "lane ends ahead merge left"? Or is it considered the point just before the lane actually ends? I thought the whole point of the signs and arrows was to get people into a single lane well before the lane ends.
Don't you attempt to merge once you see notice of such?

Old 08-20-2010, 03:41 PM

16,071 posts, read 21,144,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cat1116 View Post
Don't you attempt to merge once you see notice of such?
I do, but I'm trying to figure out if the other posters are saying that both lanes are supposed to be used up until the last minute, the point at which one lane actually ends. Just trying to get clarification as to what exactly is considered a "merge point."

Old 08-20-2010, 07:22 PM

10,449 posts, read 12,461,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chatteress View Post
i wish that more drivers would be aware of pedestrians at the crosswalks. Why on earth does a driver have to cut a pedestrian off just to save a few seconds. In most (not all) intersections, a right-hand turn can be made on a red light as long as traffic clears but a pedestrian only has a limited window of opportunity to cross! What also irks me about that driver who wants to make the right hand turn is that they are looking impatiently at me to cross not even realizing that i cannot cross due to cars turning left into my lane and a red crossing signal! As soon as i get my green light to cross, the idiot impatiently rushes to make their right! I really wish drivers would be more considerate of us pedestrians!
Amen!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics