Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2010, 08:18 PM

3,485 posts, read 7,296,203 times

Advertisements

On the other hand you have total turdbags who do the "pre-emptive" honking about 0.03 ms after the light turns green ... which just blows my blood pressure through the roof. I think it would be reasonable to wait 1 second before you start honking.

And other slimebags who, on a left turn yield intersection, cannot drive far enough into the intersection to allow at least 2 cars to get into the intersection while the light is still green.

Lastly - dbags who think that they are really great drivers, so even if it is clearly THEIR mistake they will still honk at you and flip you off.

I should really carry around a gun.

And regarding Asian drivers being bad -- this is only a US-limited phenomenon. In any Asian country you will find that the majority of drivers are highly skilled with reaction times of lightning and excellent judgment of distance. This is because they are forced (or maybe preselected for these skills) to drive in hazardous conditions, such as:

5 cars trying to drive in 4 lanes
on a unmarked road
maneuvering across 10 lanes in extremely bad traffic
coping with 100 motorbikes weaving around you
having to back up in weird alleyways

It is pretty amazing what these people can do. Maybe the crappy drivers just... don't drive, because they have subways, buses, bikes, and trains.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2010, 09:22 PM

3,622 posts, read 5,806,695 times
I haven't read this entire thread (yet) but wanted to chime in. Driving in Atlanta is INSANE. If you are going down the interstate and need to get in the next lane, your turn signal tells everyone in the lane you're trying to get into to speed up so you can't get over! So we have to learn to time the turn signal just right. I'm sure it's not really an Atlanta thing, but it's ridiculous, regardless.

And, yay, texting while driving is now illegal in Georgia! I was rear-ended by a girl texting her boyfriend last year when I was waiting to pull out in a major intersection. I was watching oncoming traffic, waiting for a safe place to pull out, and SLAM!

Old 08-13-2010, 09:30 PM

6,143 posts, read 7,543,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nimchimpsky View Post
Ooh. Glad to come across this thread. On the topic of being more aware of others:

Where I live, it's pretty commonplace for cars to try to turn on my green light even when I've started crossing. This wouldn't seem too insane except that I'm blind. So if you are driving, and you notice a blind pedestrian has already started crossing the street, please instead of trying to beat them to the turn, just wait the few seconds till they cross your lane and then turn. Especially if it's the green light and not the turning signal. Even if it is your turning signal, sometimes cars sound like they're going straight at first so the blind person may have just accidentally thought you were going to go straight. In either case, please just let them cross first. I've almost died this way numerous times. It's really unsafe to cross in front of a blind person who is swinging a cane. The cane could get caught under the car and take the blind person with them -- death. Not to mention, some canes, when broken, snap into shards of fiberglass which are very dangerous for all involved. And if that's not incentive enough, some states revoke your driving license for life if you hit a blind pedestrian.

So just to sum up: if a blind person starts crossing the street, please don't keep turning. Wait until they've crossed your lane and then turn.

Thank you.
It makes me sad that you even had to post this.

Old 08-13-2010, 09:33 PM

4,576 posts, read 9,144,570 times
1st time I got in the car with my mom for a driving lesson she said one thing that I will remember.

It was not put your seat belt on or check this or that it was this:

"assume everyone on the road is crazy, irrational, and stupid, in addition on being hell bent on killing you. This is a car, it ways a few tons and it can kill you, it is not a toy. "

Old 08-13-2010, 09:45 PM

3,622 posts, read 5,806,695 times
Quote:
Ooh. Glad to come across this thread. On the topic of being more aware of others:

Where I live, it's pretty commonplace for cars to try to turn on my green light even when I've started crossing. This wouldn't seem too insane except that I'm blind. So if you are driving, and you notice a blind pedestrian has already started crossing the street, please instead of trying to beat them to the turn, just wait the few seconds till they cross your lane and then turn. Especially if it's the green light and not the turning signal. Even if it is your turning signal, sometimes cars sound like they're going straight at first so the blind person may have just accidentally thought you were going to go straight. In either case, please just let them cross first. I've almost died this way numerous times. It's really unsafe to cross in front of a blind person who is swinging a cane. The cane could get caught under the car and take the blind person with them -- death. Not to mention, some canes, when broken, snap into shards of fiberglass which are very dangerous for all involved. And if that's not incentive enough, some states revoke your driving license for life if you hit a blind pedestrian.

So just to sum up: if a blind person starts crossing the street, please don't keep turning. Wait until they've crossed your lane and then turn.

Thank you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogwalker425 View Post
It makes me sad that you even had to post this.
Good grief! Me too. I missed this post.

Old 08-13-2010, 10:16 PM

10,449 posts, read 12,440,457 times
I'm so relieved to know some people have common sense. Sometimes I swear the drivers in my area are as blind as I am.

Old 08-15-2010, 07:33 AM

28,883 posts, read 30,185,296 times
Default Many thanks

I think we had fun with this, to those of you who retained your humor...high five...and thanks everyone for joining in...

Creme

Old 08-15-2010, 07:34 AM

28,883 posts, read 30,185,296 times
Quote:
I'm so relieved to know some people have common sense. Sometimes I swear the drivers in my area are as blind as I am.
I believe you see more then most....

Old 08-15-2010, 10:25 AM

19,432 posts, read 9,465,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
and I wave, if I can...hey thanks a bunch dude....
hmmmm, wonder if he's single
oh, he's so polite
hmmmm, wonder if he has any cats?
bet he does...
seeee ya...and thanks again, and now I'm turned completely around waving at him....
smash...
ohhhhhhh nooooooo
Oh nooo... not that kind of gratitude.. like one person bows and then not to be outdone, the other person bows down, next thing ya know they're both bowing at the same time and bump each other's head ouch.
Nope, mine's quick wave, whether ya see it or not. No repeats.

Old 08-17-2010, 07:21 AM

19,432 posts, read 9,465,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
Good! No reason to get yourself all worked up.

I've never driven in New York, but I did move from Southern California and have to maneuver one of the busiest freeways in the country five days a week. It's one of the reasons we moved. It's crowded and aggressive and exhausting. I couldn't live in NYC.

My husband leaves at 6 a.m. and gets home at 3 p.m., so he avoids a lot of traffic. That is good for him (as well as for the family, because he is home for the kids when they get home from school if I have to go to the office), because he gets so bent out of shape when he drives.

I did read it. This is what you said:

I drive the speed limit, and I'm usually in the slow lane. If there are at least three lanes, I take the to the left of the slow lane so I don't have to merge with people as much. I will drive more slowly if I don't feel it's safe, like when it's icy out.

People can be ticketed for driving too slowly. I just get out from behind them and go on.

Originally you said this happens at a stop sign or light. I ignored the light part because it's very clear whose turn it is at a light. If you're at a light and the oncoming driver wants to turn on an unprotected green while you are going straight, it's your turn. You cannot allow her to go. Don't you see the irony? You are the one playing the power game, trying to make her go, making other people wait, not her.

At stop signs, it's the same deal. Straight trumps turning. And if you wave the driver to turn in front of you, the turn is passed to cross traffic. So you try to take your turn, the one you waited for, but the other people want to go too and might think it's their turn. Giving up the right of way confuses people. Don't do it. Just take your turn and please stop with the power struggle.

When you're at a stoplight, check out how many people are looking into their laps (texting).
Before all these cell phones and text capabilities came out, I knew of someone that actually had a book or magazine in his lap.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics