Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2010, 05:39 AM

4,696 posts, read 7,890,053 times

Advertisements

Today’s Question(s):

Let’s talk cameras!

Do you prefer a film or digital camera?

Is your camera a:
Point-n-shoot?Have one of this.
Cell phone?

Bonus question:

How old were you the first time you saw The Wizard of Oz?Don't remember if I ever saw it

Extra credit question:

Are you older or younger than Woodstock?I believe I was a teen when this happened..

Just for fun:

What’s the closest amusement park to your home?busch gardens

Today In History:
1040 – King Duncan I of Scotland is killed in battle by his cousin and rival Macbeth, who succeeds him as King of Scotland
1057 – King Macbeth of Scotland is killed in battle by Malcolm mac Donnchada, who later becomes King Malcolm III of Scotland
1483 – Pope Sixtus IV consecrates the Sistine Chapel
1519 – Panama City, Panama is founded
1843 – Tivoli Gardens, one of the oldest still-intact amusement parks in the world, opens in Copenhagen, Denmark
1911 – Procter & Gamble announces the release of a brand-new shortening called Crisco
1939 – “The Wizard of Oz” premieres at Grauman’s Chinese Theatre in Hollywood
1945 – Japanese Emperor Hirohito announces Japan’s surrender to Allied forces, signaling the end of World War II (because of the International Date Line, this occurred on August 15 in Japan and on August 14 in the United States)
1965 – The Beatles perform for nearly 60,000 fans at Shea Stadium in New York City, an event later seen as marking the birth of “stadium rock”
1969 – The Woodstock Music Festival opens on Max Yasgur’s dairy farm in New York State

Word of the Day:
Ormolu \ôr mə loo\ noun
1. Any of several copper and zinc or tin alloys resembling gold in appearance and used to ornament furniture, moldings, architectural details, and jewelry.
2. An imitation of gold.

Today Is:
Best Friends Day
Angel Food Cake Day
National Relaxation Day
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2010, 05:45 AM

15,402 posts, read 28,934,961 times
Good morning from the road! We're almost to the moutains, later today we will finally get there. Can't wait, road trips are fun but sitting in a car gets old.

Today’s Question(s):

Let’s talk cameras!

Single-lens reflex, but we get disposable for any situation where the camera might get damaged any they take some good shots.

Bonus question:

How old were you the first time you saw The Wizard of Oz?

I've long since forgotten. I feel like I may have been watching it in the womb.
Were you scared by the Wicked Witch of the West?

How about by the Wizard?

Do you have a favorite song from The Wizard of Oz?

Lions and Tigers and Bears! Oh MY!

Extra credit question:

Are you older or younger than Woodstock?

Older.

Do you know anyone who went to Woodstock? No.

Just for fun:

What’s the closest amusement park to your home?

The capital building? It can be a real thrill ride sometimes (and sometimes a house of horrors).

Old 08-15-2010, 05:50 AM

25,464 posts, read 13,570,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MidwesternBookWorm View Post
Good morning, all! After days of roasting, thundery, humid, close weather, it feels like the heat wave has broken at last, and we are back to real honest-to-goodness Midwestern weather again. And about time, too!

Today is “Turnover Day,” also known as “Hippie Christmas,” in downtown Madison, as 40,000 or so college students move from one apartment to a different one, frequently discarding huge piles of belongings in the process. The neighborhoods near campus look like a massive city-wide junk yard, and hundreds of scavengers score perfectly good furniture and electronics from the heaps of detritus on the curbs and gutters – hence the name “Hippie Christmas.” I’m so glad to be out of that business, and to be able to enjoy a peaceful Sunday with the QOTD family instead of dealing with all the chaos and drama downtown today!

And speaking of the QOTD family, let’s dive on into:

Today’s Question(s):

Let’s talk cameras!

Is your camera a:
Point-n-shoot?
Single-lens reflex?
Professional quality?
Cell phone?
Disposable?
N/A, I just take mental photos of things I want to remember?

Bonus question:

How old were you the first time you saw The Wizard of Oz? Not too sure, maybe sometime in the 1940s. Maybe 6 or 7.

Were you scared by the Wicked Witch of the West? No, it was all of those little people with the strange voices that were frightening to me.

How about by the Wizard? What? That old guy? Nope.

Do you have a favorite song from The Wizard of Oz? The standard, Over the Rainbow would be it.

Extra credit question:

Do you know anyone who went to Woodstock?

Just for fun:

What’s the closest amusement park to your home? Six Flags, west of St. Louis. About 70 miles or so.

Do you have a favorite amusement or theme park? I enjoyed the park in San Diego

What makes your favorite park so much fun?
The manta rays and dolphins.

Today In History:
1040 – King Duncan I of Scotland is killed in battle by his cousin and rival Macbeth, who succeeds him as King of Scotland
1057 – King Macbeth of Scotland is killed in battle by Malcolm mac Donnchada, who later becomes King Malcolm III of Scotland
1843 – Tivoli Gardens, one of the oldest still-intact amusement parks in the world, opens in Copenhagen, Denmark
1911 – Procter & Gamble announces the release of a brand-new shortening called Crisco
1945 – Japanese Emperor Hirohito announces Japan’s surrender to Allied forces, signaling the end of World War II (because of the International Date Line, this occurred on August 15 in Japan and on August 14 in the United States).......Aboard the USS Missouri!!!!
1965 – The Beatles perform for nearly 60,000 fans at Shea Stadium in New York City, an event later seen as marking the birth of “stadium rock”
1969 – The Woodstock Music Festival opens on Max Yasgur’s dairy farm in New York State.... I have an old Woodstock typewriter. Well, that's the name on it!

Word of the Day:
Ormolu \ôr mə loo\ noun
1. Any of several copper and zinc or tin alloys resembling gold in appearance and used to ornament furniture, moldings, architectural details, and jewelry.
2. An imitation of gold.

Today Is:
Best Friends Day
Angel Food Cake Day
National Relaxation Day
Ok, all of you best friends, come on over and relax w/me while I serve some Angel Food cake to you. Of course this does remind me of another event that sadly took place recently

good morning MWBW and thank you for the QOTD

Old 08-15-2010, 05:53 AM

16,904 posts, read 16,116,328 times
Today’s Question(s):

Let’s talk cameras! Yayyyyy! I've been waiting for this subject! I love cameras! Just looking at cameras is so much fun...they're one of the coolest things in the world!

Do you prefer a film or digital camera? Digital, but that's not to say that 35mm and Polaroid aren't very, very cool. They sure are!

Is your camera a:
Point-n-shoot? <~~~ That term pisses me off. No, my cameras are not "point and shoot"! They're also fully manual. As for the "professional" single lens relex cameras...you have to "point" and "shoot" with them, too. Any camera! Well, except for a camera obscura, which I want to build one day before I die.
Single-lens reflex? Nope!
Professional quality? Yep!
Cell phone? No. I wouldn't own a cell phone ever, ever, ever!
Disposable? No.

How Zen.

Bonus question:

How old were you the first time you saw The Wizard of Oz? How the heck would I know that? I'll guess 6.

Were you scared by the Wicked Witch of the West? No. I just thought she was a bit*h.

How about by the Wizard? Why would anyone be scared b the Wizard?

Do you have a favorite song from The Wizard of Oz? "If I only had a brain" was pretty good.

Extra credit question:

Are you older or younger than Woodstock? Younger than the festival, younger than the town.

Do you know anyone who went to Woodstock? Yeah.

Just for fun:

What’s the closest amusement park to your home? I don't know - there's more than one or two down here somewhere.

Do you have a favorite amusement or theme park? No.

What makes your favorite park so much fun? Fair Food is the highlight of all such parks, for me.

Today In History:
1040 – King Duncan I of Scotland is killed in battle by his cousin and rival Macbeth, who succeeds him as King of Scotland Who cares.
Who gives a crap.1483 – Pope Sixtus IV consecrates the Sistine Chapel Bore me to death, why doncha!
1945 – Japanese Emperor Hirohito announces Japan’s surrender to Allied forces, signaling the end of World War II (because of the International Date Line, this occurred on August 15 in Japan and on August 14 in the United States)
1969 – The Woodstock Music Festival opens on Max Yasgur’s dairy farm in New York State I wonder where the cows went?

Word of the Day:
Ormolu \ôr mə loo\ noun
2. An imitation of gold. Oh that's nice.

Today Is:
Best Friends Day My best friends are here on City-Data.
Angel Food Cake Day I hate it!
National Relaxation Day Oh I LOVE this day!

Thank you for the EXCELLENT Sunday questions!
Good day to you all, except for those that hate cats.

Last edited by rainroosty; 08-15-2010 at 06:22 AM..

Old 08-15-2010, 06:02 AM

8,831 posts, read 11,618,313 times
Today’s Question(s):

Let’s talk cameras!

Do you prefer a film or digital camera?....digital

Is your camera a:
Point-n-shoot?
Single-lens reflex?
Professional quality?
Cell phone?
Disposable?

Bonus question:

I have no idea, probably 5 or 6

I don't remember being scared...I liked her laugh

How about by the Wizard?
Nope, not the Wizard either

Ding dong the witch is dead and Somewhere over the Rainbow

Extra credit question:

I'm older

No but that would be cool

Just for fun:

Carowinds in NC

Do you have a favorite amusement or theme park?
I like Six Flags over Georgia

The rollercoasters and all of the fun things to see and do

Today Is:
Best Friends Day...................Yay! Have to call mine
Angel Food Cake Day............love that stuff
National Relaxation Day.........ahhhhhhhhhh

Old 08-15-2010, 06:04 AM

10,449 posts, read 12,456,919 times
Today’s Question(s):

Let’s talk cameras!

Is your camera a:
Point-n-shoot?
Single-lens reflex?
Professional quality?
Cell phone?
Disposable?

N/A]

Bonus question:

Never seen it.

Nope.

How about by the Wizard?

Nope.

Is Somewhere Over the Rainbow from the Wizard of Oz? I love that song.

Extra credit question:

Much younger.

A lot of my parents' friends.

Just for fun:

Again, no idea, but my friend wants to go with me so we can jump the line. Lol.

No, I've only been to two. I went to Disney World once and I went ot a tiny little amusement park in Moscow (Russia) once.

My favorite park is the nature kind, and I love it cause I love nature.

Today In History:

In case I don't seem stupid and uncultured enough yet, lol, I had no idea Duncan and Macbeth were real people. I thought they were just in Shakespeare.

1969 – The Woodstock Music Festival opens on Max Yasgur’s dairy farm in New York State

Word of the Day:
Ormolu \ôr mə loo\ noun
2. An imitation of gold.

Is that that shiny rainbowy copper plating you see sometimes? I remember staring at that once as a kid and that memory will never leave my head.

Today Is:
Best Friends Day
Angel Food Cake Day
National Relaxation Day

Ain't nothing' like some good relaxin'.

Last edited by nimchimpsky; 08-15-2010 at 06:38 AM..

Old 08-15-2010, 06:20 AM

16,199 posts, read 11,668,582 times
Morning MWBW and ? peeps

Weather here has been bearable too.

[Do you prefer a film or digital camera?well I"m used to the digital now.

Is your camera a:
Point-n-shoot? x I think it's this one. I would love to take up photography. Don't know much about it.
Bonus question:

How old were you the first time you saw The Wizard of Oz?not sure......young

Were you scared by the Wicked Witch of the West?nah

How about by the Wizard?yeah, he did scare me.

Do you have a favorite song from The Wizard of Oz?somewhere over a rainbow? Oh don't think that was in that movie. Hows about off to see the wizard....the wonderful wizard of oz.

Extra credit question:

Are you older or younger than Woodstock?i think so.

Do you know anyone who went to Woodstock? no but I would have loved to have gone. Seemed like fun and exciting.
I wasn't a hippie but thought they were cool

Just for fun:

What’s the closest amusement park to your home?well here in DE.....I guess 6 flags.

What makes your favorite park so much fun? used to love parks. Thought I died and went to heaven. Loved the rides.
Not so much now. We like to take the grands but dont' ride much anymore. The old tummy can't take it.
Remembering years ago..the old willow grove park. Life is a lark at Willow grove park. Penna.

Happy sunday

Old 08-15-2010, 06:23 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,380,896 times
Thank you MBW for doing the QOD. "Turnover Day" sounds fun to me...I love browsing, lol. Enjoy your day away from the crazy crowds.

I have a digital point and shoot. I like simple.

How old were you the first time you saw The Wizard of Oz? Under 10???

Didn't get scared as a kid. I was the kid who stayed up late on the weekends to watch horror movies. I remember when I was about 5 watching the original "Invasion Of The Body Snatchers" and "The Blob".

Do you have a favorite song from The Wizard of Oz? No.

Are you older or younger than Woodstock? Just a tad older.

Do you know anyone who went to Woodstock? Not that I know of.

Carowinds. I went once. It was too expensive and boring.

Carowinds Mobile

Do you have a favorite amusement or theme park? I don't have one...it must be a kid thing. I used to like Great Adventure in NJ years ago. Now I prefer parks like Sea world and water parks.

Best Friends Day My hubby is my best friend
Angel Food Cake Day I love it in a big Trifle
National Relaxation Day Oh well, I'll have to skip it. Gotta move the briers, weed eat, and install the rest of the electric fence.

Old 08-15-2010, 06:23 AM

1,477 posts, read 2,197,621 times
Today’s Question(s):

Let’s talk cameras!

Is your camera a:
Point-n-shoot?
Single-lens reflex?
Professional quality?
Cell phone?
Disposable?

Bonus question:

How old were you the first time you saw The Wizard of Oz? I don't know

Were you scared by the Wicked Witch of the West? Nope

How about by the Wizard? Nope

Nope

Extra credit question:

Are you older or younger than Woodstock? Younger

Do you know anyone who went to Woodstock? Nope

Just for fun:

What’s the closest amusement park to your home? I'm not certain

Do you have a favorite amusement or theme park? Not really

Old 08-15-2010, 06:32 AM

11,874 posts, read 11,043,447 times
Today’s Question(s):

Let’s talk cameras!

Do you prefer a film or digital camera? If I knew how to develop my own pictures I'd say film - seeing that I don't, digital.

Is your camera a:
Point-n-shoot?
Single-lens reflex? X
Professional quality?
Cell phone?
Disposable?

Bonus question:

How old were you the first time you saw The Wizard of Oz? OMG real, real young - one of my fondest memories is of my great-aunt Charlotte taking me to the theatre when they had balconies and watching it. I can't even count how many times I saw it, then of course they showed it every year on TV.

Were you scared by the Wicked Witch of the West? Wasn't every kid?

How about by the Wizard? What a putz lol

Do you have a favorite song from The Wizard of Oz? Love the entire soundtrack, but probably Over the Rainbow

Extra credit question:

Are you older or younger than Woodstock? Older, but too young to go - unfortunately. Almost every group or singer I adore played there.

Do you know anyone who went to Woodstock? I've met people who have gone, but none who were close friends.

Just for fun:

What’s the closest amusement park to your home? Only amusement park in my area is my living room after Shredder wakes up and is racing around out of control.

Do you have a favorite amusement or theme park? Gosh, been so long - maybe 6 Flags (Texas) or Eliches in Denver.

What makes your favorite park so much fun? When my DS was little, seeing him so happy.

Today In History:
1519 – Panama City, Panama is founded The first PC - history buffs would find its history very interesting.
1911 – Procter & Gamble announces the release of a brand-new shortening called Crisco Loved my crisco - did you know it's great for preventing diaper rash???
1945 – Japanese Emperor Hirohito announces Japan’s surrender to Allied forces, signaling the end of World War II (because of the International Date Line, this occurred on August 15 in Japan and on August 14 in the United States) Shame though they didn't surrender much, much earlier

Word of the Day:
Ormolu \ôr mə loo\ noun
1. Any of several copper and zinc or tin alloys resembling gold in appearance and used to ornament furniture, moldings, architectural details, and jewelry. Do like it for ornamental accents on some furniture
2. An imitation of gold.

Today Is:
Best Friends Day
Angel Food Cake Day Yummy
National Relaxation Day Definitely on my agenda for today

Have a blessed day all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics