Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2010, 04:40 AM

48,133 posts, read 22,004,457 times

Advertisements

Today’s Question(s):

What are some of your favorite ways to be creative?

I am at my most spontaneous creativity....when I am working in my garden. As I walk the paths or sit and gaze at the unfinished work....I am inspired, sometimes to move that plant to someplace where it can thrive .... or to re-design a whole bed....or to add a single plant that will contribute an accent color or further develop a theme. When I work in my garden I feel I am in the presence of friends....I feel the family spirits hovering....and remember one who loved this or that old favorite.....or that spicy fragrance...I tingle with the sacredness of the earth and feel inspired.

Has your creativity ever paid off in an unexpected way?
Spiritually and also physical exercise.

Tell us about it!
I think I began that above..... My backyard is my corner of the world.....I may not be able to change society to make it more just or more beautiful and kinder and more gentle....but in my back yard.....I can continuously bring things into flower....aide and nuture the weak and encourage the hardy and find balance. I have added a garden Buddha and a bench .... to remind me of the lessons of the master.....acceptance and letting go.....and of the need to rest and reflect.....and of course the compost bin to remind me that nothing is permenent.....that there is a time for all things.....and life is a circle.

Extra Credit Question:

Since today is “More Herbs, Less Salt Day,” what are some of your favorite cooking herbs? Or, for those of you who don’t cook, what herb flavors do you like in the food you eat?

Had fresh basil with Mozzerella cheese and fresh local tomatoes last night....BASIL ....has to be right up there. Garlic is the one I use the most frequently....and parsley.....I also have thyme and sage growing in the kitchen garden......there is an old favorite I haven't seen for a long time called Salad Burnett.....has the fragrance of fresh cucumbers.....delightful in sour cream with cukes and tomatoes. ROSEMARY.... how could I forget rosemary....one of my most favorite.
What do you like to cook (or eat) with herbs?

I use some spices and herbs in almost everthing......Rosemary almost always with chicken or pork....garlic...in Italian dishes and in stews....and sautes....parsley added to sauces and salads...lemon thyme with fish and sage in fall recipes.
Bonus Question:

What color is your daily-use dishware?

I rotate between two everyday sets..... white with a dark blue band around the edge....for larger plated meals and a smaller dinner plate with a colonial design in old rose...of fish.

How long have you had it? These particular dishes came with my DP.....so about 6 years for me......and about 20+ years for him.

Just for Fun:

What is your favorite card game? Hand and Foot (I think this is one of Mr. MWBW's suggestions.)

Today in History:

1831 – Michael Faraday discovers electromagnetic induction
1869 – The Mount Washington Cog Railway, the world’s first rack railway, opens I was always too chicken to ride it.
1885 – Gottlieb Daimler patents the world’s first motorcycle
1944 – 15,000 American troops march down the Champs Elysees following the liberation of Paris from German forces
1964 – Walt Disney’s “Mary Poppins” is released
1966 – The Beatles perform their final concert before paying fans, at Candlestick Park in San Francisco
1991 – The Supreme Soviet of the Soviet Union suspends all activities of the Soviet Communist Party
2005 – Hurricane Katrina makes landfall in southeast Louisiana; over 1,800 died, making it the deadliest hurricane since the 1928 Okeechobee hurricane.

Word of the Day (suggested by Crew Chief):
Detritus \dĭ-trī-təs\ noun, plural
1. Loose fragments or grains that have been worn away from rock.
2. a. Disintegrated or eroded matter: “the detritus of past civilizations.”
b. Accumulated material; debris.

Today Is:
More Herbs, Less Salt Day (Eat Healthy Day)
Mary Poppins Day
National Whisky Sour Day
According to Hoyle Day
National Sarcoidosis Awareness Day

Last edited by elston; 08-29-2010 at 05:12 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2010, 04:49 AM

1,214 posts, read 2,520,115 times
Hey all, the morning air smells great today.

Today’s Question(s):

Draw, write stories, combine the two.
I've won a bunch of contests and awards and stuff, for writing and drawing. That's about it though I think.
Tell us about it!
Oops, I just did lol. I guess you can call that paying off. What I like is the satisfaction of looking at my work when it's done and just loving it. I also make it a gift to someone else sometimes, that's the best.

Extra Credit Question:

Since today is “More Herbs, Less Salt Day,” what are some of your favorite cooking herbs? Or, for those of you who don’t cook, what herb flavors do you like in the food you eat?
I had to look up a list of herbs, I like, garlic, horseradish, mustard, mint, and I guess that's it. Also, I looove salt lol.
I can't really cook, I just eat lol.

Bonus Question:

White and green and red and yellow on the design.
Is it plain or does it have a design?
Yup, a design.
How long have you had it?
I don't know, my grandma's had em forever.

Just for Fun:

What is your favorite card game?

Blackjack!

Today in History:

1869 – The Mount Washington Cog Railway, the world’s first rack railway, opens I've been on it, I even got a flattened penny from it lol.
2005 – Hurricane Katrina makes landfall in southeast Louisiana; over 1,800 died, making it the deadliest hurricane since the 1928 Okeechobee hurricane. Why do I remember this happening when I was already in school? Did it hit New Orleans right away? I was a few days off of turning 15 when this happened.

Detritus I love this word

Old 08-29-2010, 05:11 AM

8,394 posts, read 3,488,144 times
Happy Sunday everyone! My Sunday is now drawing to a close.

Well, let's see... I like to paint pictures (but am totally useless) and paint walls (at which I am far more successful) and update houses. I like to knit/crochet, but don't like wearing hand-knits and have more than enough crocheted blankets ... so I don't do that any more. I also like to write.

I've always managed to turn a half-decent profit with home renovating projects but the main payoff is personal satisfaction. No unexpected payoffs thus far though.

Extra Credit Question:

Easier to say what I don't like.... chili, and coriander. Ick!!

I'm a big user of parsley and chives... especially with pasta dishes.

Bonus Question:

Cream

Just a silver rim

Probably 25 years ... it's Royal Doulton and was kept for special occasions until the last few years. Now every day is a special occasion.

Just for Fun:

Bridge... years ago I used to play competitively (the only part of my youth that wasn't misspent!) Fortunately or unfortunately, depending on how you look at it, bridge spoils you for other card games.

Last edited by Kobber; 08-29-2010 at 05:25 AM..

Old 08-29-2010, 05:41 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,086,150 times
Today’s Question(s):

Tell us about it!

I write short stories, and enjoy learning local histories and thing like that. Several years ago I got a chance to write a collection of local ghost stories for a museum. I also wrote a murder mystery as a fundraiser for a local charity. I'm not a great writer--Jane Austen has nothing to worry about--but I really enjoy having had something published. Plus, it raised a lot of money. It's my one claim to fame.

Extra Credit Question:

Cinnamon, cardamon, a variety of flavored peppers.

We put cinnamon on all sorts of things. We love love LOVE cinnamon.

Bonus Question:

It has tropical fishies and a light blue band around it.

How long have you had it? Since we got married. It was a wedding present.

Just for Fun:

What is your favorite card game? [/b]

Cribbage.

In my youth it used to be strip poker, but nobody wants to see me strip anymore!

Old 08-29-2010, 05:54 AM

9,718 posts, read 6,416,916 times
Good Morning

Today’s Question(s):

What are some of your favorite ways to be creative? I call myself an artist when I'm painting, glass fusing and making pottery

Has your creativity ever paid off in an unexpected way? I do it for the love of art and give it away to family and friends for their enjoyment

Tell us about it! Where would I begin

Extra Credit Question:

Since today is “More Herbs, Less Salt Day,” what are some of your favorite cooking herbs? Or, for those of you who don’t cook, what herb flavors do you like in the food you eat? Italian parsley and sweet basil

What do you like to cook (or eat) with herbs? just about everything

Bonus Question:

What color is your daily-use dishware? Fiestaware........need I say more

Is it plain or does it have a design? Fiestaware, no designs

How long have you had it? years

Just for Fun:

What is your favorite card game? Sequence

Have a great Sunday!!

Last edited by Bella52; 08-29-2010 at 06:12 AM..

Old 08-29-2010, 06:03 AM

259,024 posts, read 90,595,230 times
Today’s Question(s): Great Job MWBW

What are some of your favorite ways to be creative? With a camera.

Has your creativity ever paid off in an unexpected way? Yes

Tell us about it! Capturing the 93-95 world champion barefoot skier.

Extra Credit Question:

Since today is “More Herbs, Less Salt Day,” what are some of your favorite cooking herbs? Or, for those of you who don’t cook, what herb flavors do you like in the food you eat? I'm clueless as to what my wife uses.

What do you like to cook (or eat) with herbs? She makes fresh salad dressing with them.

Bonus Question:

What color is your daily-use dishware? White

Is it plain or does it have a design? Design around the edge

How long have you had it? Maybe 20 years or more.

Just for Fun:

Poker.

Today in History:

1869 – The Mount Washington Cog Railway, the world’s first rack railway, opens
1944 – 15,000 American troops march down the Champs Elysees following the liberation of Paris from German forces
1966 – The Beatles perform their final concert before paying fans, at Candlestick Park in San Francisco
1991 – The Supreme Soviet of the Soviet Union suspends all activities of the Soviet Communist Party
2005 – Hurricane Katrina makes landfall in southeast Louisiana; over 1,800 died, making it the deadliest hurricane since the 1928 Okeechobee hurricane.

Today Is:
Mary Poppins Day
National Whisky Sour Day
According to Hoyle Day

Last edited by Nomadicus; 08-29-2010 at 06:23 AM..

Old 08-29-2010, 06:10 AM

15,402 posts, read 28,948,929 times
Since it's Mary Poppins Day, shouldn't the word of the day be supercalifragilisticexpialidocious?

Today’s Question(s):

Gardening and painting are my two favorites right now.

After I grew too much mint, I learned how to make Mojitos. For everyone!

Tell us about it!

Extra Credit Question:

Mint, basil, nutmeg, and several dozens others that I'll remember just as soon as I press the submit button.

Bonus Question:

A Mikasa mosaic pattern with various colors.

How long have you had it? more than 20 years.

Just for Fun:

What is your favorite card game? [/b]

Canasta

Mary Poppins Day
National Whisky Sour Day
According to Hoyle Day
National Sarcoidosis Awareness Day[/quote]

Great job, as always MWBW. I always enjoy your QOTDs.

Old 08-29-2010, 06:12 AM

43,854 posts, read 51,184,922 times
Some pretty Sunday Angels.....

Old 08-29-2010, 06:39 AM

10,449 posts, read 12,462,379 times
Morning, folks! Happy Sunday, and happy birthday Sudcaro!

Wow, pumpkins in August?

Today’s Question(s):

I write music. Mostly jazz and folk.

I was playing professionally in the jazz scene till I went deaf and didn't play for a year -- don't worry, I'm in the process of picking it up again. No sad endings for me.

Tell us about it!

Well I've gotten paid, but much more important than that, I've had the opportunity to meet people and connect with souls I otherwise never would have. Like I met Terence Blanchard, have heard Herbie Hancock live…a lot of great memories. And jazz just moves me in so many ways I can't really begin to talk about all the benefits it has on my well-being.

Extra Credit Question:

Some of my favorite spices and flavors are onion (works like a spice in a lot of dishes), curry, cinnamon, basil, teriyaki sauce.

Ideally, what's above, but we don't have all those spices where I live now. I had some oregano and rosemary in my pasta with sundered tomatoes (that were surprisingly not excessively salty) the other day. That tasted good.

Bonus Question:

Um. I have no idea.

Most of it is relatively smooth, sometimes there's a pattern on it but I'm not sure what it is.

Since renting out this place for the past year or so.

Just for Fun:

Phase 10.

Today in History:

In honor of the lives taken and affected by Hurricane Katrina, here's a song from the album "Requiem for Katrina" by Terence Blanchard (the jazz player I mentioned earlier):

Levees

Always sounded like one of those words that has more syllables than the shorter, sweeter, more common, and clearly better variant. Kind of like "utilize" vs. "use."

Today Is:
Mary Poppins Day
National Whisky Sour Day
According to Hoyle Day

Enjoy the rest of your weekend people! Not to sound corny but... don't let the beautiful things pass you by... like music and delicious food.

Old 08-29-2010, 06:40 AM

11,874 posts, read 11,046,770 times
Today’s Question(s):

What are some of your favorite ways to be creative? Writing - just don't "make enough time" to do it. One day I'd like to write a book even if I only sold 2 copies I can also create ads so they're camera ready and design/build a web page. I take really good pictures too (if that counts)

Has your creativity ever paid off in an unexpected way? Don't have to pay a graphic artist to create ads or someone to maintain the website.

Tell us about it! Just did LOL

Extra Credit Question:

Since today is “More Herbs, Less Salt Day,” what are some of your favorite cooking herbs? Or, for those of you who don’t cook, what herb flavors do you like in the food you eat? Whatever comes in the pre-mixed packet and I do use salt, but not a lot of it. I primarily do the crockpot thing and the packets are just easier - but hey, at least I'm not eating out every meal like I did for 5 years so that's a start.

What do you like to cook (or eat) with herbs? It's been so long since I 'really' cooked a meal I just can't remember all of them.

Bonus Question:

What color is your daily-use dishware? Yellow, red, blue, green - maybe one or two more.

Is it plain or does it have a design? Design - it's why it has so many colors

How long have you had it? A bit over 2 1/2 years

Just for Fun:

What is your favorite card game? Poker

Today in History:

1831 – Michael Faraday discovers electromagnetic induction guess I haven't had enough coffee

Today Is:
More Herbs, Less Salt Day (Eat Healthy Day) I'll check my little packet and see what herbs are in it, but sorry - I use salt
Mary Poppins Day LOL it's my nickname with a CD friend of mine. She's June
National Whisky Sour Day
According to Hoyle Day I have their card game CD so I can play against the computer and I've downloaded it to my laptop (also have their board games).
National Sarcoidosis Awareness Day I'll read up on it - I'm not real sure what it is, but whatever it is I hope they find a cure for it along with all of these other diseases.

http://gi134.photobucket.com/groups/q94/PX4EVREJ3R/PurpleLadies_Kimmy_Sunday_KD-vi.png (broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics