U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 08-31-2010, 01:07 PM

1,055 posts, read 1,854,293 times
Default Why would previous owner of my new cellphone number keep calling me?

I'm trying to figure out his reasoning. For awhile I got a lot of calls for him. I found out his name from a doctors office that called to remind him of an appointment. I told them it wasn't his number anymore...I wonder if he found this out and it made him angry? Like maybe he was trying to skip out on some medical bills from them? You see a couple of times now he has called my cellphone which was his old ph#. I know it was him because I looked up the # he called from online and it came up with his name. Why would he call his old number months after it became my number? Is he thinking he can get into my voicemail messages to check for any for him? Is he trying to find out who has his number and why would it matter who had his old number anyway?

Have to say the first month I had this number I got an awful lot of what sounded like booty call messages from different women. One of them got mad when I answered too. Why would anyone call their old phone number? I'm sure someone has my old number by now and I don't see the point in calling to find out who has it.
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2010, 01:21 PM

778 posts, read 949,185 times
If I were you, I'd demand a new phone number.

I had the same problem with the new house number, except it was calls from child services, an attorney, banks, and strange people at strange hours.

After a month of weird calls, I demanded and received a new number.

Old 08-31-2010, 08:15 PM

I've quit receiving any calls for the previous owner in the past month. I'm just concerned why the guy that had what is now my phone# keeps calling me. I mean what's his point? Changing my number seems like a stupid idea...costs money to do that and my cell provider's customer service is in another country. So its had to deal with them since customer service doesn't speak English very well. It was a nightmare getting service even started.

Old 08-31-2010, 08:18 PM

4,667 posts, read 5,546,219 times
Can you put his incoming number into your contact list, and assign it a 'no-ring' ring tone. So he would just go you your VoiceMail. My phone has that function.

Old 08-31-2010, 08:41 PM

778 posts, read 949,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtneer View Post
I'm just concerned why the guy that had what is now my phone# keeps calling me. I mean what's his point?
Since he's the only one who can answer your question, why didn't you ask him when he called?

Quote:
Changing my number seems like a stupid idea...costs money to do that and my cell provider's customer service is in another country.
That's too bad - my provider changed the number without charge. You neglected to mention your provider was in a different country!

flyonpa - that's a great idea!

Old 09-01-2010, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Creek Hollow View Post
Since he's the only one who can answer your question, why didn't you ask him when he called?
I didn't answer because I didn't recognize the number so I have never actually talked to the previous phone owner. I just see where I get missed calls from his # over and over. I was also being harassed by a psycho I met through Craigslist and since that person travels to different states throughout the week to work I figured it was them calling to harass me some more. He left no voicemail other than a hang-up sound. lol But I googled that ph# and it came up as him!

Old 09-01-2010, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyonpa View Post
Can you put his incoming number into your contact list, and assign it a 'no-ring' ring tone. So he would just go you your VoiceMail. My phone has that function.
My ph doesn't have that capability. Its not a fancy phone.

Old 09-01-2010, 11:48 AM

8,184 posts, read 9,148,620 times
Quote:
I didn't answer because I didn't recognize the number so I have never actually talked to the previous phone owner. I just see where I get missed calls from his # over and over. I was also being harassed by a psycho I met through Craigslist and since that person travels to different states throughout the week to work I figured it was them calling to harass me some more. He left no voicemail other than a hang-up sound. lol But I googled that ph# and it came up as him!
He probably wants the # back. With the way people dump phone #'s so often(i.e.: pay-as-you-go phones), he's probably going to keep trying the number in the hope that he'll one day hear:"This # is not in service".

Old 09-01-2010, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratford, Ct. Resident View Post
He probably wants the # back. With the way people dump phone #'s so often(i.e.: pay-as-you-go phones), he's probably going to keep trying the number in the hope that he'll one day hear:"This # is not in service".
Never thought of that! Well he shouldn't have dumped his phone# because its the cheapest cell service you can get for unlimited minutes.

Old 09-01-2010, 01:47 PM

4,723 posts, read 5,056,842 times
You might want to check if your plan or phone allows you to block an incoming number. Not just turn the ringer off, but actually block the call from ever coming through... it goes straight to some pre-recorded message and hangs up so you don't ever have to deal with it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics