U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2010, 10:44 AM

5,004 posts, read 4,914,376 times
Out here in California, it's not unusual to walk into a McDonald's and see a bunch of old geezers getting together for breakfast. It doesn't matter what city or county you're in, there's always a couple of tables full of them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2010, 10:47 AM

3,261 posts, read 2,675,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
That's true. To this day you won't see women in those, not even in Greece! A traditional old-fashioned kafenio is a male territory.

That's the type of customers they get and the type of activities. Guys play with their worry beads, play backgammon and cards, and do a lot of people-watching and gossiping. Same goes even for a kafenio in Germany owned by Greeks.
You forgot the Nargeela!!!

Old 09-02-2010, 01:34 PM

23,356 posts, read 14,998,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cricket_factor View Post
Out here in California, it's not unusual to walk into a McDonald's and see a bunch of old geezers getting together for breakfast. It doesn't matter what city or county you're in, there's always a couple of tables full of them.
I agree, great coffee and prices are better then elsewhere. I'm always enjoying a good cup of coffee or iced tea and meeting up with friends there.

Old 09-02-2010, 01:42 PM

96,994 posts, read 23,383,895 times
I agree about StarBuck's but I think AppleBee's sucks as well!

Old 09-02-2010, 04:59 PM

2,761 posts, read 1,693,414 times
Maybe some people like the coffee aromas (they really DO smell good). Also, it's easy to talk and linger over a healthy cup of coffee, as opposed to drinks. You'd still be sober.

My bookstore has a place that serves coffee, brownies, cakes, etc. It's a nice place to wind down, especially after work or class. People are there all the time sipping coffee and using their laptops.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics