Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2010, 12:49 PM

2,689 posts, read 6,934,376 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJ8 View Post
Kaykay, don't throw those glasses out! Donate them to your local Lions' Club so that they can be given to a person in need.

You can also drop them off at the optical center of any Walmart and they donate them to needy people.

And yes, OP, you stole a watch.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2010, 02:48 PM

3,430 posts, read 4,336,683 times
Grabbing a 20.00 bill from the street is different because you have no idea who lost it and you're never going to find out. If you take form the lost and found you are stealing because the person may come back to the gym for example to find what they lost. So you know there is a possibility of the person coming back to get it.

Old 09-08-2010, 03:14 PM

821 posts, read 861,560 times
Yeah I'd have to say that would be stealing.

Old 09-08-2010, 08:32 PM

3,322 posts, read 7,972,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thursday007 View Post
I think you can answer your own question - what if you saw someone with your lock or your sunglasses? What would YOU think then?

I was lucky to find it. Its my fault that I lost it. Anytime I lose something, I know the likelihood if it getting stolen is extremely high. I don't get angry that someone stole it, I get angry at myself for forgetting it.

Old 09-09-2010, 12:38 AM

25,080 posts, read 16,328,000 times
If you take something that is not yours, u r a taker and more than likely a thief even if u have a good reason for doing it. Here is the thing about it- the thing that u take will not be worth the price u will inevitably pay one way or the other.

Old 09-09-2010, 12:56 PM

2,689 posts, read 6,934,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dub D View Post
I was lucky to find it. Its my fault that I lost it. Anytime I lose something, I know the likelihood if it getting stolen is extremely high. I don't get angry that someone stole it, I get angry at myself for forgetting it.

Perhaps the reason you never get anything back that you lose is cuz of a little thing called "karma"... aka "you get what you give".

You're a thief. Never expect to get anything back that you yourself lose if you go around stealing other people's things. Just the way the universe works.

Didn't we all learn this in Kindergarten?!?! (pssst... "golden rule" anyone?)

Old 09-10-2010, 06:28 PM
bjh

60,096 posts, read 30,391,518 times
OP, yes that would be stealing. The Lost and Found doesn't belong to you. After a while the management will dispose of things that are never claimed, but that's their business, not yours.

You sounded so relieved about finding your lock, yet don't seemed concerned about taking the opportunity to find those glasses or a watch from their owner's. If you did take something like that, it would be interesting if they true owners recognized you with their stuff.

Old 09-11-2010, 06:28 AM

14,108 posts, read 2,774,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dub D View Post
Is it really stealing? Is picking up a twenty dollar bill off the ground any different?

Reason why i ask is because I went to the gym today and had some spare time. I lost my lock about a week ago so I went to ask if they have a lock box. They just have a lost and found. So I went thru it and actually found my lock! Thank god its red!!!

As I was going through it, there was some items with some actual value (more than $5). There were some sunglasses and a few watches. Say I took a watch, would it be stealing? Say I found a watch at a bar, would it be stealing?

Thankfully someone was considerate enough to have taken the time to turn your lock in for you.

Let me get this straight....you went to this lost and found box to see if your lock was there....found some items in the "lost and found" box that were "valuable....worth more then $5" and want to know if taking them is stealing?

You just admit that your reason you wanted to steal these items was because they were "valuable" "worth more then $5"!

You INTENTIONALLY wanted these items for your own personal gain, for their material worth.....
not the same as UNINTENTIONALLY finding a $20 bill blowing in the wind.

As far as finding a watch at a bar and what to do with it.....maybe the person who found your lock should answer that question.

Old 09-12-2010, 11:49 AM

1,577 posts, read 2,252,625 times
Oh, good night! Take that stuff back and put it all, except your lock, back in the lost-and-found. You answered your own question when you titled this "Stealing from the Lost & Found."

You made a mistake. No problem. But if you don't straighten this out, you are a thief. Is knowing this not enough to return that stuff?

You can take care of this and walk away wiser and with your personal pride in place. It does not have to be a blot on either your conscience or memory.

Journey to Virtue - Torah.org

Old 09-12-2010, 08:56 PM

1,249 posts, read 2,461,785 times
Anytime you take something that never belonged to you in the first place is stealing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics