U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 01-16-2008, 09:29 AM

6,351 posts, read 13,033,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HIF View Post
Yesterday I went to the drive through at Starbucks. I knew that I had a gift card with enough for a latte. When I got to the window the barista told me that the previous patron had paid for my coffee and would I like to do that for the next car.
HIF, we actually saw on a news show where Starbucks customers in Miami doi that often; COOL!
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2008, 12:20 PM

20,496 posts, read 6,063,035 times
We gave someone $15,000.00 so they would not lose their house.

Old 01-16-2008, 12:46 PM

1,453 posts, read 2,377,028 times
Quote:
We gave someone $15,000.00 so they would not lose their house.
WOW- you WIN

So you did this not expecting to be reimbursed??

We gave/lent our friends $800 once when he was out of work and their mortgage was 2 or 3 months behind. However, we expected repayment of $500. We knew that it was a risk, and that in order to continue being friends we would have to be willing to "lose" the money if they didn't pay back. Wouldn't you know, they didn't (yet?? nah). They aren't our best friends, but we did it because we knew that they have done similar things, like anonymously pay a neighbor's utility bill, ect.

I wouldn't consider it "random", and since it wasn't a flat out "gift", it doesn't quite fit as a RAK.

Old 01-16-2008, 01:02 PM

We had gotten an inheritance and helped out a few people. No, there were no strings attached. If we had to do it over again we would.
What good is having something if you cannot share it. Yes, we could use that money today BUT it feels better knowing we helped someone out.
We don't regret it one bit.

Old 01-16-2008, 02:15 PM

9,643 posts, read 10,634,556 times
A few years back my Son had a friend who lived down the street, he was good kid (19 yrs old) he worked and was going to school, he never got into any trouble. His parents decided he was to old to live at home, his dad made him quit school and work full time so he could move out, then one day his Dad and Mom decided he needed to go, so they packed his stuff and made him move to anouther state where they got him a job in a sawmill his uncle worked in, they told him if he didn't go they would destroy his card collection that he had from childhood, they had put it in a storage place and he had no way of getting it. He went to oregan and worked in the sawmill, he hated it and was poor, his boss tokd him he would cover vacations then be let go, he was going to be on the streets. he had called my Son and told him how bad things were so I told my son to tell him he could come back and live with us.
he did come back and he lived with us for a year, his Mom had sold all of his stuff including his clothes while he was gone, around Christmas I noticed he only wore a light jacket and I could tell he was cold so I bought him a nice leather jacket like the one his Mom sold ( it had $500.00 in the pocket).
This kid is very quiet but when he moved out he came to my wife and myself and told us how thankfull he was for helping him, he had tears in his eyes and I know that was a hard thing for him to do. I don't think that I have ever felt as good as I did that day knowing I did the right thing for him.

Old 01-16-2008, 02:24 PM

You rock Roaddog...you made such a difference in a kid's life and I am SURE he will never forget it.

Old 06-20-2012, 07:35 AM

657 posts, read 218,418 times
Default lets start doing good deed? list them here i will start:

lets start doing good deed? list them here i will start:

today i give away the second half of my 2 for $3 deal sandwich from mcdonald to a total stranger.

she just looked and smile.. and i felt good......... hope my wife doesnot find out.(case for an argument- the girl smiling part)

Old 06-20-2012, 09:47 AM

1,802 posts, read 893,205 times
I told an overweight girl, who was crying because someone asked her when her baby was due, that she was pretty...although she was actually pretty so maybe that was flirting. It still counts though.

Old 06-20-2012, 09:52 AM

657 posts, read 218,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clintone View Post
I told an overweight girl, who was crying because someone asked her when her baby was due, that she was pretty...although she was actually pretty so maybe that was flirting. It still counts though.
that the spirit!!!!!!! hurry for u..... everyday i will list at least one i do

Old 06-20-2012, 12:40 PM

7,783 posts, read 7,802,434 times
Okay I dont know if this qualifies as a rak or not but here goes . I was at the airport last week and this young man behind the ticket counter was being very rude to an elderly lady . I asked her if I could interupt for a minute and she said oh yes dear it is quite alright , I stepped in front of her and asked the young man if he would like someone speaking to his grandmother like he just spoke to this woman and he said no I suppose not . The elderly lady told me she was 82 and she never had anyone speak up like that for her . I just felt so bad for her .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics