Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2007, 01:47 AM

9,589 posts, read 27,795,201 times

Advertisements

by keeping my current living space (a hotel room at the moment) heated anywhere between 75-85 F.

Now that I can enjoy the cooler summers more that gave me this idea for another question...

Does anyone think it's wrong that while living on my own I prefer to heat where ever I live to about 80 F, year-round?

I know this might sound dumb, but a lot of people nowadays are "energy-conscious." I hear commercials asking people to turn the thermostat down in winter to something like 70 F instead of 72 F.

Instead I would probably like to keep my thermostat at 78-80 F while there are no climates in Canada with annual average temperatures above 50 F. In fact where I live the annual temp is 44 F and where I work the annual temp is like 35 F.

So me wanting to heat to 80 F instead of just 72 F means I'd be heating my home at least 320 days a year and probably double or triple my energy use...

But I love a room heated to 80 F so much that I'd be willing to pay up a quarter of my annual income for heating bills just to have it.

Does this sound messed up?

Anyways, thanks for your time and any response will be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2007, 01:51 AM

8,733 posts, read 15,932,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCanadian View Post
by keeping my current living space (a hotel room at the moment) heated anywhere between 75-85 F.

Now that I can enjoy the cooler summers more that gave me this idea for another question...

Does anyone think it's wrong that while living on my own I prefer to heat where ever I live to about 80 F, year-round?

I know this might sound dumb, but a lot of people nowadays are "energy-conscious." I hear commercials asking people to turn the thermostat down in winter to something like 70 F instead of 72 F.

Instead I would probably like to keep my thermostat at 78-80 F while there are no climates in Canada with annual average temperatures above 50 F. In fact where I live the annual temp is 44 F and where I work the annual temp is like 35 F.

So me wanting to heat to 80 F instead of just 72 F means I'd be heating my home at least 320 days a year and probably double or triple my energy use...

But I love a room heated to 80 F so much that I'd be willing to pay up a quarter of my annual income for heating bills just to have it.

Does this sound messed up?

Anyways, thanks for your time and any response will be appreciated.
Move to Key West

Old 06-30-2007, 07:55 AM

11,887 posts, read 36,907,540 times
Hey, what's life all about if you can't enjoy it. I know that sometimes in the Winter even down here in Texas (which isn't that cold) I get cold feet that just won't go away and I have to go to extremes (layered clothing, set the thermostat to a much warmer temp than I would like in the summer, etc.). I could imagine living somewhere that it never really even warmed up in the summer I'd probably like 80 degree temps all of the time as well. So, in my opinion, you're not crazy! Why not move down South? Here in Texas it's been WET, WET, WET and forecasts call for much more wet. Flooding everywhere. Therefore, temps are not as hot as they would normally be (85-90 for highs in the DFW area).

Old 06-30-2007, 08:06 AM

6,044 posts, read 24,084,252 times
I agree w/ the above posters...if you love the warmth so much, why would you stay in Canada? Move south!

Old 06-30-2007, 01:13 PM

Why do I live in Canada? Is that a rhetorical question?
(I thought it was obvious legal immigration is very tough these days)

Old 06-30-2007, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synopsis View Post
Hey, what's life all about if you can't enjoy it.

I know that sometimes in the Winter even down here in Texas (which isn't that cold) I get cold feet that just won't go away and I have to go to extremes (layered clothing, set the thermostat to a much warmer temp than I would like in the summer, etc.).

I could imagine living somewhere that it never really even warmed up in the summer I'd probably like 80 degree temps all of the time as well. So, in my opinion, you're not crazy!

Why not move down South?

Here in Texas it's been WET, WET, WET and forecasts call for much more wet. Flooding everywhere. Therefore, temps are not as hot as they would normally be (85-90 for highs in the DFW area).
That's why I'd be willing to spend the $$$. I'm already used to the idea of having to spend thousands to have 85-95 F weather for vacationing in the Carribbean and in summer, the Carolinas. (although I don't go more than once a year)

Cold toes suck. Wearing just socks or barefoot inside my toes can't feel warm below 75 F. Been that way since I was 14. That's why I don't really like air-conditioning as the cold air collects on the floor sometimes, making it feel like standing in ice cream.

Back home in Toronto it does warm up, but in most summers the warmth is not consistant. About 2/3rd's of all summer days in a normal year are very nice with a high around 75 F or higher. We have been 78 F in March and 75 F in November but that only lasted a few hours.

Why don't I move South?
That's almost like asking an American who loves liberal politics why don't they become Canada's next Prime Minister. It's very tough and annoying to do so legally unless you are rich. My parents prefer warmth too but they've been sorta stuck here also.

85-90 F is nice.
How bad has the rain been? Any crops rotting in farmer's fields?

Old 06-30-2007, 02:02 PM

23,010 posts, read 34,368,409 times
Hi how are you? I thinking about you the other day. You would love it here right now, your kind of weather. Right now it's 90, heat index 102, dew point 77, humidity 66%. So I'm staying inside as much as possible right now.

Old 06-30-2007, 03:18 PM

11,887 posts, read 36,907,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCanadian View Post
That's why I'd be willing to spend the $$$. I'm already used to the idea of having to spend thousands to have 85-95 F weather for vacationing in the Carribbean and in summer, the Carolinas. (although I don't go more than once a year)

Cold toes suck. Wearing just socks or barefoot inside my toes can't feel warm below 75 F. Been that way since I was 14. That's why I don't really like air-conditioning as the cold air collects on the floor sometimes, making it feel like standing in ice cream.

Back home in Toronto it does warm up, but in most summers the warmth is not consistant. About 2/3rd's of all summer days in a normal year are very nice with a high around 75 F or higher. We have been 78 F in March and 75 F in November but that only lasted a few hours.

Why don't I move South?
That's almost like asking an American who loves liberal politics why don't they become Canada's next Prime Minister. It's very tough and annoying to do so legally unless you are rich. My parents prefer warmth too but they've been sorta stuck here also.

85-90 F is nice.
How bad has the rain been? Any crops rotting in farmer's fields?
I hear you with the legal stuff.

The rain has been horrendous. We received another 3 or 4 inches in about 1 hour today. We've probably gotten 12 inches or so at my house in the last month. Everything is drenched to the bone, and the forecast calls for rain every day through the 4th of July. I suppose there are a lot of farmer's crops rotting in the fields as it just doesn't seem to end. I've never seen it rain so much in my life, honestly. One city down near Austin (Marble Falls, I think) received 19 inches of rain in 9 hours the other day.

So far this year I think the DFW area has received around 35 inches of rain, which is usually the average for a year.

People are having to mow their lawns between rainstorms it's so bad and mowing in the water isn't fun or good for the mower.

It's just as bad in Oklahoma. Both Texas and Oklahoma have been drenched, drenched, drenched. Oklahoma City hasn't had a day without rain for 3 weeks now and I think Tulsa is much the same. We were in a drought for about 2 1/2 years, and now this. It's either one extreme or another.

I said the other day that I like the rain, but I didn't think it would just keep coming, and coming, and coming with no end in sight. The weather folks are even saying this pattern may last all the way through July.

Old 06-30-2007, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVE NORTH CAROLINA View Post
Hi how are you? I thinking about you the other day.

You would love it here right now, your kind of weather. Right now it's 90, heat index 102, dew point 77, humidity 66%. So I'm staying inside as much as possible right now.
Thanks ILNC.

I've been rafting down a slow river. Snapped some nice scenery pics. Might post them eventually. Hanging out by the river watching jet skiis race. It's not too bad here. And like the title says the cool weather is not bad now that I have a place to go warm back up rather quickly.

That does sounds a little on the sticky side but it certainly wouldn't be a problem. Perfect weather is around 90 F, sunny skies and dewpoint around 70 F.

You might like the weather in Ft. McMurray right now, it's in the low 70's F, scattered sun/overcast humidity no higher than the 50%'s.

Old 06-30-2007, 04:20 PM

3,287 posts, read 9,183,249 times
My daughter was the same way til she started paying her OWN heating bills. Got very upset with us when we told her to use layers and would not cooperate with her. She loved visiting with one set of her grandparents or my Mother who kept it so HOT in the winter (we kept it about 65). Then she moved out, ran up the heat. Along came her first heating bill and she "got religion" cause SHE was poor as a church mouse. She started layering.

She has since moved to AL but it still gets cold there just not as cold as a MI winter.

IF you can afford it and like it that way, fine...I'll visit from outside. Liz
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics