U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2010, 01:10 AM

14,096 posts, read 21,696,188 times

Advertisements

Part of my job is recuing people from elevators if it malfunctions. The people are trapped for a variety of reasons including garbage in the door tracks keeping doors from fully closing, purse pulled the emergency stop switch, or they pushed the button to a floor the elevator does not access. In the last case, they push the button, the light doesn't stay lit, the doors close, and they panic. All they have to do is push the door open button and step out. We have several floors being renovated so access to those floors have been blocked and signs posted (which they don't read). It's always the women who are in a panic from a phobia of elevators. Why? I use to repair elevators and escalators. Of the two, I'm afraid of escalators. "IF" everyone obeys the warning signs of escalators then no one will get hurt. Problem is almost no one even bothers to read those warning signs nor realizes the physical danger they're in by not obeying those warnings. You DO NOT want to hear the scream of a child whose body part is being pulled into the escalator. There are so many safety features on elevators that much of what you see in movies will never happen in reality unless all safety features fail at the same time. You stand a better chance of winning the lottery than that ever happening.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2010, 01:39 AM

326 posts, read 648,208 times
I would say my fear of elevators comes from 1. watching those stupid movies and 2. being totally ignorant as to how they function. I take the stairs everywhere unless I am with a group of people that rather take the elevator and I don't want to be the one weirdo that takes the stairs.

Old 10-02-2010, 02:00 AM

14,096 posts, read 21,696,188 times
If the elevator is hydraulic, they won't fall like in the movies. For that to happen, someone would have to quickly remove a large steel pipe. Traction elevators (the ones with cables) don't fall down,...they fall up. There are at least 4 steel cables attacked to the elevator car. Each one is individually weight tested to greater than the max limit of the elevator car. Those cables go up, over a large pulley, and down to a counterweight. The counterweight weighs more than the elevator car if fully loaded. If every safety feature fails, the elevator car will go up, not down, because the counterweight weighs more than the loaded car. If all the cables were somehow to snap all at once, there are safety devices which will engage to stop the car. This works so well that once people are removed from the car, it takes a cutting torch to remove the brakes that stop the car. Responsible building managers will have their elevators tested at least monthly, especially testing the door switches and emergency call system. In the 1940s a bomber flying in NYC in thick fog/cloud flew into the empire state building cutting all the cables of the elevator. The lady in the elevator fell several stories (this was before such safety features) but still lived. Claustraphobia was the most valid phobia of elevators I could accept. I try to reasure the people that there is air flowing. the doors don't seal tight and so air goes into the elevator shaft and up and out due to exhaust fans.

Old 10-02-2010, 07:13 AM

369 posts, read 842,820 times
I have no idea why anyone would be afraid of an elevator. There are so many things that can happen as far as accidents in life, why focus on the elevator. As a matter of fact I don't understand phobias.

Old 10-02-2010, 08:10 AM

18,856 posts, read 28,291,947 times
For some strange reason, I was convinced I would get stuck in an elevator when I was pregnant, and go into labor in a small space with random strangers. I avoided them when I was pregnant. Just one of those random "pregnant" fears. I never minded them before, and don't mind them now. Go figure it.

Old 10-02-2010, 09:17 AM

15,926 posts, read 6,707,557 times
Well hell, I wasn't afraid of them until now!!!

Old 10-02-2010, 09:30 AM

69 posts, read 88,439 times
Some elevators I find are just hard to use. For example, the elevator at the Barnes and Noble store doesn't have a "door close" button, and it makes an awful sound when closing. And the closing sound just happens to be the same sound the Hospital elevator makes when it gets stuck. So it's kind of scary.

But they mostly just make me nervous because of all the movies I've seen. (Especially that new movie that's out. I forget what it's called, but they're all trapped in an elevator, and there's like, this demon creature that is in the elevator walls slowly killing them. It looks nuts)

Old 11-22-2012, 04:19 PM

79,656 posts, read 3,164,773 times
Hmmm.....maybe because people....men included!..... really do get trapped in elevators?

Man Trapped In elevator for 41 hours!! - YouTube

Old 11-22-2012, 05:18 PM

1,685 posts, read 808,251 times
CUZ...they never watched MTV back in the daY!

Aerosmith - Love In An Elevator - YouTube

Old 11-22-2012, 06:48 PM

12,983 posts, read 11,978,296 times
Well, maybe they just don't like going down.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics