U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Halloween!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 10-24-2010, 12:46 AM

724 posts, read 726,235 times
Default Why does everybody hate the teacher's pet?

In elementary/middle school.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2010, 01:08 AM

37,710 posts, read 11,673,146 times
Generally speaking, people dislike it when favoritism is displayed towards one person versus another. It's nice when you are the teacher's favorite but feels awful for the other students. I personally feel that teachers (as well as parents) should not show favoritism towards one child but treat all children equally.

Old 10-24-2010, 08:12 AM

43,862 posts, read 26,699,854 times
Sometimes a child can just be trying harder and the teacher appreciates the effort. I'm not sure it is always due to personal favoritism.

Old 10-24-2010, 08:23 AM

8,039 posts, read 2,437,462 times
I always hated favoritism in school and in the workplace maybe because I wasn't the favorite

Old 10-24-2010, 08:39 AM

11,851 posts, read 5,447,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatteress View Post
Generally speaking, people dislike it when favoritism is displayed towards one person versus another. It's nice when you are the teacher's favorite but feels awful for the other students. I personally feel that teachers (as well as parents) should not show favoritism towards one child but treat all children equally.
Ditto here.

Old 10-24-2010, 08:41 AM

14,812 posts, read 7,778,810 times
Status exists at all levels. It's human nature.

Old 10-24-2010, 09:02 AM

10,452 posts, read 5,389,631 times
I've been the teacher's pet and I've always be the one hated by the teacher. It's awkward on both sides. I had a teacher who asked me if I thought we had a "special relationship." She gave me A++'s (not A+'s, but A++'s) throughout the entire year and made me the winner for every contest we had. Though I was the one getting them and I was only 8 or 9, even I could see how unfair that was. I had another teacher who constantly got me in more trouble for the same things other students did, never gave me any rewards even when I did the same things other students did, and either watched or joined in when I got bullied instead of stopping it, etc. Needless to say, that didn't feel good either.

IMO it's best if a teacher at least doesn't indicate any favoritism or dislike, even if personally they do have favorites (which I can understand because we all have certain people we click with more than others). But it's absolutely not fair and will make your students feel like crap if you are obviously more rewarding and lenient with certain students and more draconic and unforgiving with others.

I've been the teacher in a few situations myself and personally even though we all have people we click with more naturally, I don't think it's too hard to find something you like about every student so that you can treat them equally. It also helps if you try to think why a student who is behaving annoyingly is doing so. What's their home life like, are they frustrated with something, are they feeling unheard, do they have a hidden disability, etc. Not to say every student who acts up has a major psychological problem, but usually when someone acts up, there's a reason behind it, and it only takes a little bit of observation and consideration to figure out what it is.

That said, I don't think it's too much to ask of teachers to treat their students equally!

Last edited by nimchimpsky; 10-24-2010 at 09:12 AM..

Old 10-24-2010, 09:30 AM

1,950 posts, read 908,351 times
My best friend in grade school was a great all-rounder and our 5th grade teacher was always praising her. She felt VERY uncomfortable being singled out, and eventually I told the teacher about her discomfort. The favoritism stopped, but my end-of-year report said "... is very outspoken at times"!

Old 10-24-2010, 01:07 PM

11,798 posts, read 10,338,287 times
Everybody??

Old 10-24-2010, 07:02 PM

724 posts, read 726,235 times
Interesting. I went to a Catholic elementary and middle school, and there was a girl in our class who enjoyed being the teacher's pet. She went out of her way to be helpful to the teachers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics