U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2010, 09:32 AM

20,568 posts, read 16,874,987 times

Advertisements

Ive been known to accidentally hit the caps lock key from time to time but most of the time I proofread and catch it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2010, 09:47 AM

15,921 posts, read 4,773,199 times
Well, if you're a hunt & peck typer like me, some times you just don't realize that the cap lock is on.

Old 10-24-2010, 09:50 AM

10,452 posts, read 5,718,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tasmtairy View Post
I think they just don't want to push the shift key. I don't really take it as shouting anymore as it is done so often.
don't want to push the shift key? there's the option of typing in all lowercase, like this.

Old 10-24-2010, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cunucu Beach View Post
I don't like an entire email in caps--it's harder to read--but to emphasize a word or two doesn't bother me. It's easier than underlining it.
The only people I do this for and let it slide for are my visually impaired friends who can't read lowercase.

Old 10-24-2010, 09:53 AM

I'm pretty sure we had this peeve already but I agree. I hate when people yell at me (not going to make me understand them any better) and I hate when people type in all caps cause it makes every word two braille cells longer on my display which means I have to do more scrolling to read the same amount of information. And it's visually obnoxious to most sighted people too. So yeah, except for acronyms and the occasional emphasized word, lose the caps, folks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetie Pie View Post
Well, if you're a hunt & peck typer like me, some times you just don't realize that the cap lock is on.

I have some friends whose braille display doesn't tell them if they're typing in caps or lowercase for some reason. Sometimes they hit the caps lock key without realizing so I understand in that case.

Old 10-24-2010, 10:28 AM

3,624 posts, read 3,722,895 times
This is something that DOES bother me...Some of my friends do it, and I always explain to them that it means they are shouting...some have stopped, some just keep doing it.... What can I do???

Old 10-24-2010, 10:32 AM

19,091 posts, read 3,952,520 times
I've hit the caps key in error at times and usually catch it.

Old 10-24-2010, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie of Oldsmar View Post
This is something that DOES bother me...Some of my friends do it, and I always explain to them that it means they are shouting...some have stopped, some just keep doing it.... What can I do???
Unfortunately, more often than not, you have to be a stickler about it. When I was on text to speech, all caps would read out letter by letter, so an all caps sentence would end up reading like this:

HELLO HOW ARE YOU?

aitch ee el el oh aitch oh double you ay are ee why oh you question mark

Some people were considerate from the beginning but with other people, I had to tell straight up that I simply wouldn't read anything they wrote in all caps, so if they wrote in all caps, I'd be missing everything they were trying to tell me and wouldn't reply to anything they said. After about a few months, though, I got like five people jumping on any poor soul who dared type to me in all caps. :P

Old 10-24-2010, 12:42 PM

37,791 posts, read 12,183,652 times
Although CD is an informal forum, I try to type grammatically correct with proper capitalization. This is because I never want to fall into the bad habit of lax typing as I worked hard to develop my writing and presentation skills in college. All caps is harder to read and I just may skip a long post that is all-caps.

Old 10-24-2010, 12:52 PM

28,594 posts, read 21,759,515 times
Uh, hey, HUH! I can't hear you....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics