U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2010, 08:15 AM

10,452 posts, read 5,577,834 times

Advertisements

What's the worst smell and the best scent? What's the worst texture and the best texture?

Worst smell: ammonia, with sulphur and cigarette smoke as close seconds.
Worst texture: some of the paper they braille on has this awful texture to it that's like the tactile equivalent of nails on a chalkboard, with a film of dust on anything as a close second.

Best scent: Onions in a pan, fresh brewed coffee, and Egyptian Goddess musk
Best texture: the fur of my rat as he grooms himself by my foot. Fur that feels rough to average feels divinely soft against the bottom of your foot. And when people gently touch my hair it feels wonderful on my scalp.

What are your best and worst?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2010, 08:36 AM

Location: If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space
12,345 posts, read 5,212,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nimchimpsky View Post
What's the worst smell and the best scent? What's the worst texture and the best texture?
Worst smell: chicken garbage - gag!

Best scent: anything that has the lingering scent of my mom's perfume - like a sweater, for example. It's not at all the same as spraying perfume directly onto the material - it's softer/mellower/warmer because she was wearing it. It's like smelling love. Another best scent is when you open a bag of chocolates and inhale that smell - it has a calming effect!

Worst texture: that unexpected bit of grit when you're eating something that shouldn't be gritty! Or, being touched by the scraggly foot of someone you don't love.

Best texture: I'm stuck on this for now because of your rat fur comment (and how feet gross me out) - all I can think of is my cousin's chinchilla - it is otherworldly soft!

Old 10-30-2010, 09:46 AM

34,094 posts, read 6,736,109 times
Quote:
Cool thread, nim.

Worst smell - My garbage can on a hot summer day if it contains meat or seafood packaging.

Best scent - Bacon frying on a campfire; coffee brewing; garlic. Also, Jergens lotion. Like toosie with her mom's perfume, the scent of Jergens lotion immediately brings back to me warm, cozy memories of my mom. She used it when I was a kid. Mom died almost 40 years ago, when I was in high school. If I pass someone who has used Jergens, I'm immediately back in my mother's arms. Love it!

Worst texture - Aluminum foil on the teeth, such as when I'm eating a baked potato and my teeth find a tiny speck of foil.

Best texture - Water; my kitties' fur.

Old 10-30-2010, 10:03 AM

4,928 posts, read 4,555,446 times
Quote:

Worst smell - chinese food in the garbage can

Best scent - Warm vanilla sugar by Bath & Body Works or any Clean Linen smell. I love that store!

Worst texture - Grit from shellfish. I HATE when I eat seafood and it has some left in it. Scallops are the worst for it.

Best texture - Microfiber plush blanket. LOVE IT!!!

Old 10-30-2010, 01:06 PM

10,452 posts, read 5,577,834 times
Love all your answers so far, keep it coming. Egyptian Goddess is my favorite perfume because my wife wears it and it's just divine on her.

I noticed a lot of you think of textures in your mouth...I hadn't even thought of that.
Worst texture in food: when you sink your teeth in a great piece of fish only to find there are still fishbones in it. Another one is when you've just had soda or lemonade and your teeth are gritty.
Best texture in food: fluffy pancakes. I'm having some right now. Creamy hot chocolate, especially when it's made with real chocolate and real cream, like Double Devon English cream.

Which brings me to the topic...should we start a favorite foods/least favorite foods thread?

Old 10-30-2010, 06:03 PM

37,757 posts, read 11,956,279 times
Best scent: There are lots of scents that I enjoy but I'll go with Amarige perfume from Givenchy

Worse Scent: Other than human bathroom "smells", I'd go with asphalt. This is because I had a traumatizing experience where they were re-asphalting the freeway offramp that is right outside my window after 9pm at night ... This project lasted until at least 4am and I was literally feeling sick to my stomach that a friend took me out to Denny's around 1am to get me away as I had no vehicle. To this day, I cannot stomach the smell of asphalt.

Best Texture in food: pudding ... I just love the feel of pudding in my mouth.
Best Texture: Acrylic fabric on a cold day. Hot steamy water on a cold night.

Worst texture: Emery file board ... cannot handle getting my nails filed for that reason.
Worst texture in food: I'm with PJ8 on this one ... Nothing worse than that itty bitty piece of aluminum foil stuck on the piece of food you are chewing on. I literally cringe when I read her post! It's THAT bad!

Old 10-30-2010, 06:22 PM

2,198 posts, read 1,934,712 times
For worst I would have to go with vomit. I guess rotting carcass, or body, would be even worse....
Worst textures, I agree with fishbones, also gristle or fat from meat

Best smells, so many. Chocolate, good pine scent, vanilla body spray..
Best textures..velvet, silk, flower petals...

Old 10-30-2010, 06:50 PM

12,332 posts, read 6,152,445 times
worst smell>>>> cockroaches<<<< hate those little stinkers>>> splat.!!!

best smell>>>>> bacon cooking at a camp out..

best texture>>> small gravel massaging your feet and hands at the bottom of a waterfall. pure heaven.

worst texture >>>>rubbing you hands down the back of a shark

Old 10-30-2010, 11:31 PM

16,587 posts, read 20,178,733 times
Worst smell: Melena Here you go, look it up.

Best smell: Orange/lemon blossoms, followed closely by the smell of my dog.

Worst texture: My bare soles rubbing on concrete.

Best texture: Crisp, clean, cool cotton sheets against my bare skin.

Old 10-31-2010, 09:42 AM

14,812 posts, read 7,990,208 times
Worst smell = fermenting pickles (or sauerkraut) that have become contaminated and "gone bad". Ewwwwww.

Best smell = fresh rain, gardenias, clean dirt, sun dried sheets.

Worst texture = dishes that haven't been washed good and there's still a coating on them when you take them out of the cupboard. (Doesn't happen in my house but I've taken coffee cups out of someone's cupboard only to find them with a dried coating of something on them.)

Best texture - A baby's skin.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics