Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2010, 06:53 AM

17,833 posts, read 33,011,427 times

Advertisements

Good morning everyone
Happy Wednesday
3 shopping day left !!!

It is going to be a beautiful day here in NE FL expected high 73 !!!!

A good day to be out & about !!!

Today's Question(s):

Fess up !! Have any of you,even for a brief moment, reached the "OK I can't wait for this to be over" point ?

Extra Credit Question:
In Honor of Thermometer day
You know I always wondered why we pronounce it "ther-mom-i-ter"
The origin of the word dates back to 1615 by combining thermo + meter So shouldn't it be pronounced thermo-meter

Anyhoo

How many do you have in or around your home ?

Curious Minds Question:

What is the expected "Christmas Forecast" for where you will be spending Christmas Day ?

Bonus Question
:

What was the last "lagniappe" you gave or were given ?

Just for Fun Challenge:

I would like to challenge our QOTD family to a "unexpected random acts of kindness" moment.

Whether it is something as simple as letting someone go in front of you in line or paying for the coffee for the person behind you

Some time before the end of the year while you are out & about you can put a smile and joy in a strangers day

So who is in !!!!!! ?

Today in History:

1882 - 1st string of Christmas tree lights created by Thomas Edison
1886 - 1st national accountants' society in U.S. formed (New York City)
1894 - United States Golf Association forms (New York City)
1937 - Lincoln Tunnel, in New York City, opens to traffic
1958 - The Chipmunks were at the #1 position on the music charts. Alvin, Simon, and Theodore sang with David Seville. "The Chipmunk Song", the novelty tune that topped the charts for a month, is still a Christmas favorite today.

Word of the Day:

lagniappe \ LAN-yap \ , noun;
1. A small gift given with a purchase to a customer, for good measure.
2. A gratuity or tip.
3. An unexpected or indirect benefit.

Today is:

National Date Nut Bread Day
Thermometer Day
National Haiku Poetry Day
Lipstick Day
Eleven Pipers Piping Day
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2010, 06:54 AM

8,873 posts, read 13,836,394 times
Hey! Pole position today. Haven't done that in a loooonngg time.

Today's Question(s):

Fess up !! Have any of you,even for a brief moment, reached the "OK I can't wait for this to be over" point ?
This week at work! Those of us that are here are covering for the vacationers and of course our accounts are looking for big things to happen by year-end!

Extra Credit Question:
The origin of the word dates back to 1615 by combining thermo + meter So shouldn't it be pronounced thermo-meter

Anyhoo

There's a business with a weather station on the web about 1 mile from my house, so we just use his data rather than putting up our own thermometers. Of course, we do have the temp's in our thermostat's for interior conditions.

Curious Minds Question:

What is the expected "Christmas Forecast" for where you will be spending Christmas Day ?
Chance of snow. Blech!!!

Bonus Question:

A bonus gift card that came with a $100 purchase I made at the store the other day.

Just for Fun Challenge:

I would like to challenge our QOTD family to a "unexpected random acts of kindness" moment.

Whether it is something as simple as letting someone go in front of you in line or paying for the coffee for the person behind you

Some time before the end of the year while you are out & about you can put a smile and joy in a strangers day

So who is in !!!!!! ?
Count me in!

Today in History:
1882 - 1st string of Christmas tree lights created by Thomas Edison He was a creative guy for sure!
1886 - 1st national accountants' society in U.S. formed (New York City) Tons of fun at that meeting, I'm sure!!!
1894 - United States Golf Association forms (New York City) A good friend of mine works for them in NJ now.
1937 - Lincoln Tunnel, in New York City, opens to traffic I always like driving through there (traffic non-withstanding)
1958 - The Chipmunks were at the #1 position on the music charts. Alvin, Simon, and Theodore sang with David Seville. "The Chipmunk Song", the novelty tune that topped the charts for a month, is still a Christmas favorite today. ALVIN!!!

Have a great day everyone!

26,527 posts, read 51,508,687 times
Today's Question(s):

Fess up !! Have any of you,even for a brief moment, reached the "OK I can't wait for this to be over" point ? Gosh yes. I once walked out of a long, crazy, head banging, staff meeting without saying anything and went home. The next day people had made all sorts of excuses to cover for me, and no one asked what happened except if everything was ok... I considered making it a habit, but, but better judgment prevailed. I eventually learned how to deal with those moments.

Extra Credit Question:
The origin of the word dates back to 1615 by combining thermo + meter So shouldn't it be pronounced thermo-meter Back in the "olden" days people talked funny, so "ther-mom-et-ter" falls under the same rule as "Speed-o-meter". Since we are in the digital world you can most likely just start saying oh my, the "Silicon bandgap temperature sensor" indicates it is quite hot, if it is a digital device.

Anyhoo

How many do you have in or around your home ? Many. Of
course my favorite is the Galileo. Not a good picture but it seems
to be showing 72°F, wouldn't you say?:

Curious Minds Question:

Plenty of sunshine with a high of 52°F.

Bonus Question
:

What was the last "lagniappe" you gave or were given ? Almost two years ago, a personal unexpected item given to me.

Just for Fun Challenge:

So who is in !!!!!! ? I'm in!

For those of you who were worried about the eclipse, the moon is
back to normal:

To all of you, have a safe holiday season!:

Rich

Last edited by Poncho_NM; 12-22-2010 at 08:02 AM..

11,874 posts, read 11,013,414 times
Today's Question(s):

Fess up !! Have any of you,even for a brief moment, reached the "OK I can't wait for this to be over" point ? Oh yeah

Extra Credit Question:
The origin of the word dates back to 1615 by combining thermo + meter So shouldn't it be pronounced thermo-meter now that you mention it . . .

Anyhoo

How many do you have in or around your home ? Zero

Curious Minds Question:

What is the expected "Christmas Forecast" for where you will be spending Christmas Day ? It will either be glorious sunshine like now or it will be rainy and windy - I'll know when I wake up. They never give a correct forecast.

Bonus Question:

What was the last "lagniappe" you gave or were given ? A free (and legal) copy of The Rosetta Stone for Spanish (Latin America) - value, $600

Just for Fun Challenge:

So who is in !!!!!! ? It's something I do anyway - being kind to other people should just be a daily part of life IMO and we do reap what we sow

Today in History:
1958 - The Chipmunks were at the #1 position on the music charts. Alvin, Simon, and Theodore sang with David Seville. "The Chipmunk Song", the novelty tune that topped the charts for a month, is still a Christmas favorite today. though didn't realize it was the year I was born

Word of the Day:
2. A gratuity or tip.

Today is:
National Date Nut Bread Day not too fond of dates, but if you make it banana nut bread I'm in
Thermometer Day
Lipstick Day wore enough of that in the 80's to last a lifetime
Eleven Pipers Piping Day or in my case, 11 drummers drumming (practicing for the parades in town over the holidays)

Last edited by JustJoy; 12-22-2010 at 07:31 AM..

Old 12-22-2010, 06:58 AM

15,927 posts, read 8,110,317 times
Good morning Karla and QOTD'ers.

Today's Question(s):

Fess up !! Have any of you,even for a brief moment, reached the "OK I can't wait for this to be over" point ? More times than I'd like to admit.

Extra Credit Question:

Anyhoo

How many do you have in or around your home ? I have a few.

Curious Minds Question:

What is the expected "Christmas Forecast" for where you will be spending Christmas Day ? Not sure, will have to look it up. It's been yucky muggy in the mid to high 70's the past few days. I hope it will get colder.

Bonus Question
:

What was the last "lagniappe" you gave or were given ? Will be giving our mail lady one today.

Just for Fun Challenge:

So who is in !!!!!! ?

Today in History:

1958 - The Chipmunks were at the #1 position on the music charts. Alvin, Simon, and Theodore sang with David Seville. "The Chipmunk Song", the novelty tune that topped the charts for a month, is still a Christmas favorite today.

Word of the Day:

2. A gratuity or tip.

Today is:

National Date Nut Bread Day
Thermometer Day
Lipstick Day
Eleven Pipers Piping Day[/quote]
Hope everyone has a great day.

Last edited by Sweetie Pie; 12-22-2010 at 07:07 AM..

Old 12-22-2010, 07:00 AM

8,534 posts, read 7,365,072 times
Today's Question(s):

Fess up !! Have any of you,even for a brief moment, reached the "OK I can't wait for this to be over" point ? ~~ YES, I'm the original GRINCH.

Extra Credit Question:

Anyhoo

How many do you have in or around your home ? ~~ none.

Curious Minds Question:

What is the expected "Christmas Forecast" for where you will be spending Christmas Day ? ~~ Supposed to start snowing Christmas Eve & I'll be at home awaiting my daughter driving in the snow from Memphis Friday night.

Just for Fun Challenge:

So who is in !!!!!! ? ~~ I'm in

Hope everyone has a great Wed....

Old 12-22-2010, 07:02 AM

8,176 posts, read 18,472,831 times
Good morning all!! This is my last day of work until after the New Year!! Whoohoo!!!

Today's Question(s):

That will be Christmas eve while we're there with the in-laws

Extra Credit Question:

Anyhoo

How many do you have in or around your home ? One

Curious Minds Question:

High of 73 and some late afternoon rains....good...get to open up the house will all those people there.

Bonus Question:

What was the last "lagniappe" you gave or were given ? I gave my mailcarrier one and I was given on while shopping on Saturday!

Just for Fun Challenge:

So who is in !!!!!! ?
I'm in!!

Today in History:
1958 - The Chipmunks were at the #1 position on the music charts. Alvin, Simon, and Theodore sang with David Seville. "The Chipmunk Song", the novelty tune that topped the charts for a month, is still a Christmas favorite today. And now I wish it would END!!!! lol

Have a great day everyone!!

Old 12-22-2010, 07:03 AM
Gue

24,118 posts, read 10,104,409 times
Good Morning!

Today's Question(s):

Fess up !! Have any of you,even for a brief moment, reached the "OK I can't wait for this to be over" point ? Definately!

Extra Credit Question:

Anyhoo

How many do you have in or around your home ? thinking 4.....2 inside, 1 outside, 1 for the heat, 1 for the a/c, barometer on the stairs..hey that makes 6!

Curious Minds Question:

What is the expected "Christmas Forecast" for where you will be spending Christmas Day ? We stopped going to neices house just a couple years ago. We stay home for Christmas Day.

Bonus Question:

What was the last "lagniappe" you gave or were given ? Got a calender when I got puppy a hair cut yesterday. It is so cute with a different puppy for each month.

Just for Fun Challenge:

So who is in !!!!!! ? Sure.
I am already taking to hear a fellow Long Islanders last wishes that we smile more & greet strangers.

& I've bought some catfood as a request from some of the Open House members to give to a girl who feeds 3 stray cat colonys on a daily basis.

I tried to let someone go ahead of me yesterday morning on the lottery ticket line but he said no I'll wait..so now I will have to buy the next coffee..making me think where I can do this...

Spread some Cheer!

Last edited by Gue; 12-22-2010 at 07:12 AM..

36,334 posts, read 15,932,517 times
Today's Question(s):

No me, been pretty easy so far.

Extra Credit Question:

Anyhoo

I have a candy thermometer, does that count?

Curious Minds Question:

Well it looks like snow here, not too happy though since I work overnight Christmas eve and leave at 9am Christmas day to get home and do dinner.Plus with my brother traveling about an hour to get here..okay now I'm at that 1st question...Is it over yet?

Bonus Question:

Gave goodies to neighbors.

Just for Fun Challenge:

So who is in !!!!!! ? I'm in, I do it anyway.

16,881 posts, read 15,997,735 times
Today's Question(s):

Oh heck yeah, all the time! Especially when my schizophrenic upstairs neighbor hag comes around and doesn't shut the heck up.

Extra Credit Question: /|\

Anyhoo

How many what?

Curious Minds Question:

What is the expected "Christmas Forecast" for where you will be spending Christmas Day ? Christmas
Day

Partly
Sunny
Hi 73 °F

Bonus Question:

I don't know.

Just for Fun Challenge:

So who is in !!!!!! ?
I do that now and then all year anyway.

Today in History:

1958 - The Chipmunks were at the #1 position on the music charts. Alvin, Simon, and Theodore sang with David Seville. "The Chipmunk Song", the novelty tune that topped the charts for a month, is still a Christmas favorite today. I never liked them and their helium voices.

Word of the Day:
2. A gratuity or tip.
3. An unexpected or indirect benefit. dumb word.

Today is:
National Date Nut Bread Day Yuck.
Thermometer Day
Lipstick Day I hate lipstick.
Eleven Pipers Piping Day I would think 2 or 3 are enough.

Happy holidays to you all Thank you, Karla, friends....

Last edited by rainroosty; 12-22-2010 at 08:02 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics