U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2011, 06:49 AM

4,395 posts, read 4,335,819 times

Advertisements

Tire - I'll stop and help. Hood up - I'll stop and offer a ride or the use of a phone. I can't fix a motor. If there is already a group of people working on it, I'll drive on by.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2011, 06:51 AM

20,950 posts, read 17,121,692 times
I do and I have.

If I were a woman though, I wouldn't risk it.

I would call 911 depending on the situation.

Old 02-09-2011, 06:57 AM

22,286 posts, read 13,670,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 70Ford View Post
Wondering how far fear has made it into our world.

I normally don't. I usually just call directory assistance and get the number of the local police and let them know a motorist has broken down, with a description of the car and the locale. However, if I see a woman struggling with a tire, I do. Every. Freaking. Time. I do. That's how I was raised, you see.

A Christmas story.

A few years ago, roundabout Christmas time, I was on my way to work, back in Georgia, small town, working at a local industrial plant. I was due there in about 20 minutes, I'm usually early, etc. It's just the way I am. I was making a pit stop at a local convienence store to buy an energy drink to help me along on the midnight shift and I saw a car parked with its emergency flashers on. I thought that was strange, but I continued on to the store. On my way back, I noticed the hazard lights were off. I thought that was REALLY strange, so I took the straight shot, vs. the left at the red light, and pulled up behind the car.

I got out and - slowly - walked up to the car. There was a young lady inside, looked like a teenage girl. As I walked up, she cracked the window.

"Are you alright?", I asked. "Do you need some help?"

She said she had ran out of gas. I told her to hold on and raced back to the convenience store and asked them if they had a spare gas can - this was Georgia, bear with me, a lot of local stores did used to actually have a emergency gas can. I figured I could buy two gallons of gas for her to help her on her way. It was the least I could do, eh?

However, this store did not. They said they would be happy to sell me one, though. I mentioned calling the police, and they said that that particular city didn't offer a taxi service for stranded motorists. I called in to work, explained the situation to my boss - who didn't believe it by the tone of his voice - and proceeded forward.

So, then, I went back. I explained to the young lady what had transpired and told her I'd be willing to give her a lift home or to the store so that she could call someone.

By the way, I'm 5'11, 3/4's and I weigh 245 lbs. I work out. I'm pretty healthy, put it that way. The store was 5 minutes away, her home was ~30ish minutes away. She asked me to drive her home.

This lady was a stunning - absolutely beautiful - 20ish Black woman, and I am a very large White man. So, what happened?

I drove her home.

When she got out of the car, she said "Thank you!" and called me "Her Christmas miracle."

I will never forget that day.

I have concealed carry. I have stopped to help people on the roadside, as I do not fear mischief. We live in a state where people are pretty tame as well.

If I was a young female, I would call 911 and keep my windows rolled up. I tell my daughter to do so if she has car problems. She also has a Sig 9mm under her seat which she knows how to use very well.

The world is a more dangerous place. When I was a kid, we used to get around by hitchhiking and never had any problems. One would be crazy to that today.

Old 02-09-2011, 07:01 AM

55,241 posts, read 29,761,650 times
I will, yes. I've done it quite a few times. But then, i'm not a fearful person by nature and i think that i'm pretty capable of taking care of myself if a situation goes awry.

Old 02-09-2011, 07:23 AM

21,035 posts, read 20,292,502 times
Absolutely not! NEVER. Just as the Highway Patrol asks, I don't stop, It is dangerous in so many ways and they just have so many bodies to scrape off freeways....including those of "good samaratin/wannabe heroes"

The common sense thing to do is call 911 if you see someone stranded (which they and 20 other people have already done).

I do not want someone stopping to help me...I don't know who they are or what they really want!

Any man who "innocently" gives a strange woman a ride is opening himself up to all kinds of trouble and is an idiot to do so.

A woman who gets into a stranger's car is called "victim"...or "dead"....she's an idiot.

Old 02-09-2011, 07:24 AM

41,478 posts, read 53,732,725 times
I am of the cell phone free generation. I will help if I can.

I consider it practicing Liberalism.

Old 02-09-2011, 07:28 AM

3,767 posts, read 4,096,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
I am of the cell phone free generation. I will help if I can.
I consider it practicing Liberalism.
Wow.
Even with a non-political question such as this someone tries to turn it into a "us vs them" issue.

Old 02-09-2011, 07:29 AM

3,388 posts, read 3,483,039 times
I am cynical by nature, but I have been both the helper and the helped.

Whether I stop and get out of the car or not depends a lot on the circumstance, including whether I have my son with me. I'm more likely to call in an observed emergency than to stop if I do have him with me, or if my gut says it's a potentially dangerous situation.

Old 02-09-2011, 07:30 AM

8,321 posts, read 13,964,118 times
To answer the OP, I would only help somebody on the side of a road under the conditions that it has to be broad daylight and not a deserted area. Seeing as how I'm 5'2 and 120~lbs (and female), you really can't blame me for not wanting to help a stranger in the middle of the night with nobody else around. I also won't accept help in dark/deserted conditions.

Last time I helped someone was when I noticed a car driving with a flat and a young female driver behind the wheel. The rims were just starting to hit the pavement (how on earth she didn't notice) so I got her attention and signaled for her to pull over. She pulled into a parking lot of a Circuit City. I pulled in behind her and showed her the reason for flagging her down. She called her dad to let him know that she had a flat and asked if I would stay with her (she was alone) until he got there. While we were waiting for her parents, I showed her how to change a tire.

Can you believe her dad actually tried to give me a $20 for doing the right thing? He was pretty adamant, so I said that he should take the money and donate it to a cause of his choice.

Old 02-09-2011, 07:56 AM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,474 posts, read 14,391,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
Any man who "innocently" gives a strange woman a ride is opening himself up to all kinds of trouble and is an idiot to do so.

A woman who gets into a stranger's car is called "victim"...or "dead"....she's an idiot.
Aye, well, that's what makes me different, I supppose. The young lady wasn't harmed. She was helped. But, it was really a toss of the coin, wasn't it? For her and for me. As I mentioned to my mom - who is adamantly religious - "I wouldn't have stopped if it wasn't the holdiays." I still don't know why I did. I honest to God, think it was because it was Christmas. I saw myself in that person's place, I suppose. I reckon that's empathy. Maybe it was fortune. Maybe it was fate. Maybe it was God.

My wife has a cell phone and triple A. There's a reason for that - and I see your point of view completely. I'm young enough to want to believe there are kind people and heroes in this world. I'm old enough to know there's not enough of either.

I do what I can to alleviate that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or