U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2011, 03:56 AM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,474 posts, read 14,391,193 times

Advertisements

Wondering how far fear has made it into our world.

I normally don't. I usually just call directory assistance and get the number of the local police and let them know a motorist has broken down, with a description of the car and the locale. However, if I see a woman struggling with a tire, I do. Every. Freaking. Time. I do. That's how I was raised, you see.

A Christmas story.

A few years ago, roundabout Christmas time, I was on my way to work, back in Georgia, small town, working at a local industrial plant. I was due there in about 20 minutes, I'm usually early, etc. It's just the way I am. I was making a pit stop at a local convienence store to buy an energy drink to help me along on the midnight shift and I saw a car parked with its emergency flashers on. I thought that was strange, but I continued on to the store. On my way back, I noticed the hazard lights were off. I thought that was REALLY strange, so I took the straight shot, vs. the left at the red light, and pulled up behind the car.

I got out and - slowly - walked up to the car. There was a young lady inside, looked like a teenage girl. As I walked up, she cracked the window.

"Are you alright?", I asked. "Do you need some help?"

She said she had ran out of gas. I told her to hold on and raced back to the convenience store and asked them if they had a spare gas can - this was Georgia, bear with me, a lot of local stores did used to actually have a emergency gas can. I figured I could buy two gallons of gas for her to help her on her way. It was the least I could do, eh?

However, this store did not. They said they would be happy to sell me one, though. I mentioned calling the police, and they said that that particular city didn't offer a taxi service for stranded motorists. I called in to work, explained the situation to my boss - who didn't believe it by the tone of his voice - and proceeded forward.

So, then, I went back. I explained to the young lady what had transpired and told her I'd be willing to give her a lift home or to the store so that she could call someone.

By the way, I'm 5'11, 3/4's and I weigh 245 lbs. I work out. I'm pretty healthy, put it that way. The store was 5 minutes away, her home was ~30ish minutes away. She asked me to drive her home.

This lady was a stunning - absolutely beautiful - 20ish Black woman, and I am a very large White man. So, what happened?

I drove her home.

When she got out of the car, she said "Thank you!" and called me "Her Christmas miracle."

I will never forget that day.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2011, 04:03 AM

346 posts, read 406,879 times
In Croatia no, I would just call the ambulance, since here in Croatia it is very easy to get locked up if you try to help somebody, but they end up dead. If I lived in a country like Switzerland, I would lend a hand if I had the skill to help, or I would at least drive them to the hospital if they urgently needed it, etc.

If this is about tyre changing (I don't know what you are exactly asking about, since you are on my ignore list, so I am basing everything on the thread title), then no, I wouldn't stop to help, unless it was somebody I knew.

Old 02-09-2011, 04:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purger View Post
In Croatia no, I would just call the ambulance, since here in Croatia it is very easy to get locked up if you try to help somebody, but they end up dead. If I lived in a country like Switzerland, I would lend a hand if I had the skill to help, or I would at least drive them to the hospital if they urgently needed it, etc.

If this is about tyre changing (I don't know what you are exactly asking about, since you are on my ignore list, so I am basing everything on the thread title), then no, I wouldn't stop to help, unless it was somebody I knew.
Aye, I'm an amateur mechanic. I can fix most most things, have built an engine from scratch, etc. No idea why I'm on ignore, but meh. Can't change people's minds if you don't talk to the people whose minds need changing.

To each, his own.

Old 02-09-2011, 04:18 AM

3,767 posts, read 4,096,748 times
This topic falls under politics and other controversies?

That said, I am just wondering why you would make mention of the person's race and that she was "absolutely beautiful?" If she wasn't attractive would this have made a difference? Did her race make a difference? Just wondering.

Old 02-09-2011, 04:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booya View Post
This topic falls under politics and other controversies?

That said, I am just wondering why you would make mention of the person's race and that she was "absolutely beautiful?" If she wasn't attractive would this have made a difference? Did her race make a difference? Just wondering.
Aye, it's about trust. Trust between races, trust between stereotypes. Trust between a man and a woman. Trust between people in general. I'm glad she trusted a White dude to do an honorable thing. I'm glad I had faith in approaching a stranger. I'm glad she accepted help from someone outside her race. I'm glad because chivalry is not dead. And the question remains, does it matter what race/what nationality/what gender you would help. If it had been a gay guy with his gay partner, I would have felt no different. WE are all HUMAN BEINGS. Let's help each other out.

If she had been 300lbs with 5 kids in tow, I would have not cared a whit.

Last edited by 70Ford; 02-09-2011 at 05:23 AM..

Old 02-09-2011, 05:03 AM

41,478 posts, read 53,732,725 times
I will stop if I think I could help and have done so in the past.

I have also not stopped when some idiot spun into the left hand snow bank after attempting to pass me on a snow covered interstate. One reason is I never back up on an interstate and the other was his car hit the soft snowbank and did not appear damaged. Stuck, yes, damaged no.

Old 02-09-2011, 06:19 AM

8,387 posts, read 8,658,518 times
Lightbulb If you saw someone needing help on the side of the road, would you help them?

I have a number of times.

It depends on the situation. If I'm in a hurry because I have a tight schedule, I'll let someone else provide help. But if the conditions are threatening, like freezing weather or a woman alone with young kids, I'll stop. I'd feel a lot of guilt passing them by.

We're all in this together. I imagine most of us have benefitted from the kindness of strangers. I think we also have an obligation to be the helpful strangers on occasion.

Old 02-09-2011, 06:24 AM

14,076 posts, read 18,470,877 times
Of course I stop! It's rare that I don't.

Is it risky? Sure, it can be, but it's a risk I'm willing to take.

I've never regretted it yet.

Old 02-09-2011, 06:33 AM

24,839 posts, read 33,914,051 times
We are in more of a country setting. No major crime.

I tell the guys driving our company trucks to never pass by a women needing aid. (or, older people) At least offer a phone to them.

It is just good PR.

And I have been that women needing help.

Old 02-09-2011, 06:38 AM

10,092 posts, read 7,346,780 times
I live in rural America. I'll always stop, even if it's just to roll the window down a crack to ask if they need me to call someone for them, OR, if they' look a little scary, I'll call the Sheriff's office and tell them they have a distressed motorist with the location. If it's another woman, or if they have kids, I'll get out of the car. When I was in college, I took my older car on a trip to visit friends, and wound up stranded on the side of the road on a really cold night in the middle of nowhere, a long way from a truck stop. A truck driver stopped to help me--I was terrified I was going to be murdered and thrown in a ditch, but it was pre-cell phone days, so I went along vs. freeze to death. The first thing he did was show me the pictures of his daughters, and told me all he could think of was what if "his Amy," his own teenage daughter, was in the same situation. We still exchange Christmas cards to this day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or