Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2011, 08:52 PM

44,338 posts, read 20,036,498 times

Advertisements

Hi, kids! Did everyone have a good St. Patrick's Day?
Hard to believe it's Friday already. Woo-hoo!
Today's Tip may help to save you the grief of
someone stealing your credit or debit card info.

When you use your credit or debit card in an ATM or at the gas pump, beware of card skimmers! Skimmers can install a fake front on the card slot, which reads the magnetic stripe, and place a tiny video camera above it to record your PIN when you enter it. You can do two things to protect yourself from these skimmers:
  • Tug on the card-reading slot to make sure there are no loose parts;
  • Use one hand to shield the other as you enter your PIN.
I've been doing the "shield-the-hand" thing when I enter my PIN for years, but have never tugged on the slot to see if it's loose.

These two simple steps can help protect your card and your dough! Be careful out there, everyone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2011, 09:22 PM

31,304 posts, read 32,862,115 times
Good advice Pam,,,,, I always close my eyes when I use the ATM so no own sees what I’m doing when I enter the personal code. LOL

Old 03-17-2011, 09:25 PM

114,838 posts, read 65,779,311 times
I never can remember my personal code..

Old 03-17-2011, 10:10 PM

7,371 posts, read 6,828,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by satx56 View Post
Yeah, I have that problem too. But I solved it by spelling a name from the alphabet on the letters. So for satx, I'd just go s7 a2 t8 x9. Too many numbers to remember these days. Anyhow, back to the matter at hand--great tips Pam. I turn into a "taigzilla" if I catch someone getting a little too close when I am at a bank machine.

Old 03-17-2011, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by taigagirl View Post
Yeah, I have that problem too. But I solved it by spelling a name from the alphabet on the letters. So for satx, I'd just go s7 a2 t8 x9. Too many numbers to remember these days. Anyhow, back to the matter at hand--great tips Pam. I turn into a "taigzilla" if I catch someone getting a little too close when I am at a bank machine.
728956 ....looks like a zipcode I actually remember my zip usually!

Old 03-17-2011, 10:52 PM

31,304 posts, read 32,862,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by satx56 View Post
A woman had her purse stolen with the cell phone in it. The thief looked at the directory of the cell phone numbers and found her husbands name listed (also the most often dialed calls). He “text” messaged her husband and asked for the bank code because she had forgotten it. He replied with a text message giving the thief the bank code to their account.

Old 03-17-2011, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AksarbeN View Post
A woman had her purse stolen with the cell phone in it. The thief looked at the directory of the cell phone numbers and found her husbands name listed (also the most often dialed calls). He “text” messaged her husband and asked for the bank code because she had forgotten it. He replied with a text message giving the thief the bank code to their account.
Yep! They are chock full of personal info!! I'd hold on tight to those cell phones and digital cameras folks!!

Old 03-17-2011, 11:56 PM

23,200 posts, read 29,004,341 times
I've heard it too often, over the years, would probably help to Q-tip my ears once a year?

"You're 60 years old, you've never used an ATM machine, you probably filed your PIN number away in a safe place 20 years ago, and it probably wouldn't even work now, and one these days you're going to be stranded and wish you would have learned to use one of these machines! What are you afraid of? The minute you slide your card in, it's going to eat your fingers off?"

One of these years, I'll remember this tip. Maybe!

Old 03-18-2011, 12:13 AM

I you leave the card it will eat it!!! Trust me I know!!...

Thanks Pam!!

Old 03-18-2011, 01:15 AM

16,903 posts, read 16,109,149 times
I bring a slice or two of white bread with me, with a hole poked through the middle of it and then hold it over the keypad and enter my PIN # that way. Also I wear a sombrero.
To add to your great tip, Pam - I also keep sanitizing stuff in my truck for those times I have to put my fingers on that yucky filthy cruddy greasy dirty gross stuff. Touch-screens included. How I hate stuff like that. Oh - and gas pumps, where you gotta pick up the filthy dirty greasy cruddy yucky disgusting pump handle AND use a keypad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics