Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2011, 08:15 AM

16,666 posts, read 17,430,851 times

Advertisements

Hello there posters.

It's the afternoon here and I'm back from my overnight stay.

Let's try to think of a peeve where there's nothing misunderstood in the translation!

This might sound like a strange one, but it's weird that a few places where we ended up living are on the corner of, or in the crease of a map, thus making it difficult to plan trips.

Let's widen the peeve to;

Reading maps. Let us also include 'Sat Nav' (Satellite Navagation Systems) misinformation, that is Sat Navs telling you something that turns out to be incorrect.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2011, 08:35 AM

889 posts, read 2,712,513 times
It's eerie that I'm the first one posting... Guess it's just you and me Jezer. You do a great job on "Peeve of the Day" by the way.
I'm the map reading idiot of the family. I'm a joke. I get us lost every time. I can't fold one either.
We had navigation in our rental car once. We jokingly called her "the b*tch." She was helpful though, even if she was a little bossy.

Old 03-22-2011, 08:38 AM

27,342 posts, read 27,393,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jezer View Post
Hello there posters.

It's the afternoon here and I'm back from my overnight stay.

Let's try to think of a peeve where there's nothing misunderstood in the translation!

This might sound like a strange one, but it's weird that a few places where we ended up living are on the corner of, or in the crease of a map, thus making it difficult to plan trips.

Let's widen the peeve to;

Reading maps. Let us also include 'Sat Nav' (Satellite Navagation Systems) misinformation, that is Sat Navs telling you something that turns out to be incorrect.

Mapquest is the worst and I personally dont know anyone who would recommend them. They take you all the way to Egypt before taking you to your destination. Ive always been a paper map person and usually highlight my route before heading out.
Good peeve, otherwise!

Old 03-22-2011, 08:49 AM

44,625 posts, read 61,603,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 115db View Post
Mapquest is the worst and I personally dont know anyone who would recommend them. They take you all the way to Egypt before taking you to your destination. Ive always been a paper map person and usually highlight my route before heading out.
Good peeve, otherwise!
Yep Mapquest is very unreliable. I've had it give me mis-information many times, and it was frustrating when you ended up somewhere where you were'nt planning on being.
I now use a Garmin GPS and so far the lady in the box has been quite helpful.

Old 03-22-2011, 09:55 AM

16,904 posts, read 16,123,046 times
Good one, Jezer!
I have always loved looking at maps, but those oversized fold-out maps are a stinkin' pain in the butt! Every time you want to have a look at it you need to go through the whole annoying ordeal of unfolding and then refolding! Those maps suck!
Well, anyway, that's why I love the atlas maps that are spiral-bound. Those maps are so terrific, I can and do look at them for hours at a time.
The problem that I have with using internet directions is that they always give you the horrible route to go anywhere. High speed Interstate travel is something I refuse to do!
Even when I'm driving long, long distances I go along the scenic route. Yes, it takes much longer, but it is such an enjoyable way to go. I can stop at little shops and stop for good stuff to eat...I can stop and take pictures...heck, when I drive to North Carolina (I take route 441)
I even go through the Okeefenokee Swamp and see a lot of wildlife. Especially frogs and snakes! It scares the daylights out of mrsrainroosty when we pass through there - you're in the swamp for hours and there's nothing there but the swamp....cellular phones won't work in there, it's so remote.
But, the map! I study the map for days before I go on a trip, making sure that the drive
is memorable in a good way!
Thanks for the good subject, Jezer!

I'm sorry if this seems to be off-topic, but as soon as you mention maps to me I get to wanting to travel through the swamp and surrounding area.
Here's a Timber Rattlesnake that I stopped my car to photograph. It was in the road, alive and well!

Old 03-22-2011, 11:01 AM

44,351 posts, read 20,056,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainroosty View Post
Good one, Jezer!
I have always loved looking at maps, but those oversized fold-out maps are a stinkin' pain in the butt! Every time you want to have a look at it you need to go through the whole annoying ordeal of unfolding and then refolding! Those maps suck!
Well, anyway, that's why I love the atlas maps that are spiral-bound. Those maps are so terrific, I can and do look at them for hours at a time.
The problem that I have with using internet directions is that they always give you the horrible route to go anywhere. High speed Interstate travel is something I refuse to do!
Even when I'm driving long, long distances I go along the scenic route. Yes, it takes much longer, but it is such an enjoyable way to go. I can stop at little shops and stop for good stuff to eat...I can stop and take pictures...heck, when I drive to North Carolina (I take route 441)
I even go through the Okeefenokee Swamp and see a lot of wildlife. Especially frogs and snakes! It scares the daylights out of mrsrainroosty when we pass through there - you're in the swamp for hours and there's nothing there but the swamp....cellular phones won't work in there, it's so remote.
But, the map! I study the map for days before I go on a trip, making sure that the drive
is memorable in a good way!
Thanks for the good subject, Jezer!

I'm sorry if this seems to be off-topic, but as soon as you mention maps to me I get to wanting to travel through the swamp and surrounding area.
Here's a Timber Rattlesnake that I stopped my car to photograph. It was in the road, alive and well!
Beautiful snake, rainroosty!

I agree with those who say Mapquest is crap. Mapquest has tons of incorrect information. I don't rely on on it; nor do I trust Yahoo maps.

Paper road maps just annoy me. If I don't have good directions from a human being, I'm screwed on a trip.

Old 03-22-2011, 11:31 AM

14,810 posts, read 16,205,058 times
Maps can be a PITA to many people but I'm a weirdo.....

I LOVE MAPS!!! I was always the navigator for any long distance trip in my earlier life and even take pleasure in just looking at them. As a teenager I used to sit down and "read" a road atlas like it was a book. I think it has to do with genetics as one of my sons is a "map person", too.

Old 03-22-2011, 12:17 PM

16,666 posts, read 17,430,851 times
Snap!

I'm a map person.

I have a 1908 Motor Routes To England Guide among a large collection.

I don't like those big modern maps with the spiral spines- crossing pages is always a pain.

Old 03-22-2011, 12:31 PM

8,534 posts, read 7,402,615 times
On a recent trip to Memphis Tn, I was using my GPS. I'm on US55 heading south, when in the middle of the trip it announces that I need to turn left on County road 747 ~~ THERE IS NO County Road 747... It's ALL Interstate highway. I just laughed and kept on going.

Old 03-22-2011, 12:57 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,689,558 times
http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&tab=wl

Note step number 14
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics