U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2006, 05:53 PM

1,092 posts, read 1,085,294 times

Advertisements

If you receive poor service at a restaraunt do you leave a tip anyway? I probably wouldn't but my wife usually does.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2006, 05:54 PM

2,314 posts, read 2,108,639 times
i do but not the typical 15-20% i would leave for good service

Old 08-27-2006, 06:41 PM

8,191 posts, read 28,059,573 times
I always leave a tip of some sort. You never can be sure of the reason for the poor service, and waiters/waitresses are the lowest paid people in this country. It may not have been your servers fault that 2 others are running late or did not show up, or that something has malfunctioned in the kitchen. Everyone has a bad day now and then.

If the service was horrible I will say something to the manager on the way out.

Old 08-27-2006, 07:02 PM

327 posts, read 182,979 times
Hello. As a former waitress, I usually leave at least a 10% tip even if service was poor, because waiters and waitresses are required by law to claim at least 8% of their tips (in Minnesota, anyway) and a lot of times they do not even average that amount. In Texas, our hourly wage was less than $3.00 an hour, so we literally lived off of our tips. A 20% tip is more than adequate for good service, in my opinion.

Old 08-27-2006, 07:04 PM

1,405 posts, read 4,375,050 times
Slater -

I'd very calmly and politely tell the waiter you weren't happy and why. He/she doesn't want you unhappy.

I appreciate this in my business: If I am not making you happy I REALLY want to know why and appreciate knowing about your unhappiness.

Besides, If you tip poorly, and don't tell me the problem I'll probably just think you're mean or clueless...

Ever wait tables? It's difficult work, far harder to do well than it seems to be. Trust me on this.

Bon apetit,

Chaz

Old 08-27-2006, 09:45 PM

2,098 posts, read 5,868,292 times
Call me crazy, but if I'm not that happy with someone I will tip them the norm. because you have to consider these people are working for a living (unfortunately if they're no good, they probably picked the wrong career, however, you don't know their reasons). So I tip them regularly. However, if we have a wonderful waiter/waitress, I will definitely overtip them. I figure it's the best of both worlds, the good waiter/waitress realizes how well they're doing and will continue, the not so good one may gain the incentive to do better (you could always confront them, leave a note or speak to the manager). But most of these people live off their tips because their "salary" is so little to none, would you want your boss to pay you less for today because you were slower or didn't produce work as great as you did yesterday? Unfortunately in our society nowadays, if someone gets a tip that's less than the average percentage, they're likely to do worse out of hostility or anger (or spit in your d.a.m.n. food)

Old 08-27-2006, 10:49 PM

795 posts, read 2,078,540 times
Talking tippie toes

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaz longue View Post
Slater -
Ever wait tables? It's difficult work, far harder to do well than it seems to be. Trust me on this. Bon apetit, Chaz
Chaz Claude, ever do 30 days in the Chief's quarters aboard the USS Renville APA-227? It was difficult work fixing them breakfast, hauling in the noon and evening slops from the galley, making up their fart sacks and mucking out the joint. Did I every see anything in the begging bowel I left on their table - nada!

Was better than shucking eggs and skining spuds in boot for a week, tip there was inspect your chow before shoveling it in.

Sorry - I see it is Chaz Longue - #
[mod cut]

Last edited by Yac; 08-28-2006 at 01:20 PM.. Reason: misspelling

Old 08-28-2006, 02:33 AM

1,318 posts, read 5,386,390 times
Does anyone actually understand the previous post?

As for tipping, I totally agree with pixie! I work in the hospitality industry & they live on tips. I would always leave 20% unless the server was a real sob.
Maybe a little less for so-so service & a little more for better service. But basically 20% is what a tip should be.

Evey - Yes! So true! Many times problems are caused by being short staffed or bad management!!!

Chaz - Depends on where you work! ANY fine dining/upscale restaurant you will make good money! The finer/upper - the more money. In fact, it's absolutely unreal how much some of these people make by just waiting tables!!! Yes it's a lot of running around & sometimes dealing with sticky situations, but remember - you sell a 300$ bottle of champagne you just made 60$ for doing almost nothing!!! One of those & a table of four ordering filet mignon & a nice bottle of wine or two & you had a pretty good night - for a bad night of only 2 tables!!!

Old 08-28-2006, 03:51 AM

6,191 posts, read 15,308,132 times
I leave 20%, pretty much no matter what.
If the server has been truly awful, I'll make sure someone knows why, and leave a lesser tip.
Only once do I recall leaving an "insult" tip of a nickel. It was a long time ago and I can't even recall details but the server was just dreadful. She then followed us out of the restaurant yelling and threw the nickel at us!
That was maybe 20 years ago, usually if service is sub-par I figure everyone has an off day, and I know the problem very often isn't the server, but something "behind the scenes." I was a bartender for 6 years, nobody is perfect on the job every minute of the day.

Old 08-28-2006, 08:44 AM

262 posts, read 1,901,064 times
Post restaurant rant!!!!

As a disclaimer, I'm a former server and generally tip way too much. I leave 20% for bad service, 25% for good service, 30% for great service, and more if I get anything comped (inevitably, free drinks tend to come my way for whatever reason).

I should also mention that 95% of service problems occur at crappy chain restaurants like Friday's and Applebees, where people have no personal connection with a chef or company principles, the turnover rate is high, and a lot of servers are kids "hired for the summer" between school semesters. This is not directed at anyone in particular, but the more that people patronize these awful, awful restaurants, the more they pop up instead of great chef-driven restaurants, regardless of the price point. In other words, give me a taco truck or a mom & pop Vietnamese noodle house over a Cheesecake Factory any day of the week!!

The problem with leaving a poor tip is that it affects the busboys, food runners, bartenders, people who fill water, etc. because most waiters provide a portion of their tips to these other servicepeople. In DC, the industry average is between 25-40% of total tips. So imagine if a server, who is used to making $150 a night and tipping out $50 of it, loses an entire table's tip?

The *best* way to handle it is always to get a manager. If your server messed your order up horribly or was very rude, they'll usually comp food to try and get you to come back, which is smart business. If your meal is reduced you can feel comfortable leaving a tip (if it's cash, give it right to the manager if you feel it's necessary) so at least the busboys and other service people get paid, and the manager will have received a complaint against the server which would ultimately (hopefully) lead to them getting fired. If people raised concerns with management more, servers wouldn't be able to get away with being bad at their jobs and the bad ones would be weeded out!

If the server was just really busy and tied up, or a little slow, or new on the job, etc. it should be no biggie, and you should tip the full amount. If it happens often at the same place, request a specific server who has done a good job for you. And, if it happens all the time regardless of the server, stop patronizing that establishment because they probably aren't a well-run restaurant
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics