Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Have you ever slept in your car?
Yes, and I will do it again if need be. 74 65.49%
Yes, but I did it as a last resort 21 18.58%
Yes, and I will never do it again. 3 2.65%
No, and never will 5 4.42%
No, but I will consider it given a certain situation 10 8.85%
Voters: 113. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2007, 08:12 PM

5,297 posts, read 6,291,013 times

Advertisements

I haven't but would if I really had to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2007, 08:22 PM

27,342 posts, read 27,393,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCNative View Post
I'm 5'11 and it was uncomfortable

I'm 5'3" so if I had to, could probably sleep anywhere. Oh wait, I have, back when I was driving truck. I always took the top bunk because I liked having those two little window things up there and could get that cross-breeze so it didnt get too stuffy.

Old 07-30-2007, 10:58 PM

1,895 posts, read 5,900,886 times
I (and 3 friends) got stuck on an island overnight (we thought we had a place to stay and by the time we find out otherwise, the last ferry had gone). 4 people in a VW Jetta was not the best experience, but it was kind of funny...

Old 07-31-2007, 12:11 AM

2,408 posts, read 14,392,665 times
I've done it probably 10 times or so in my life. I'm 6'5 and have a Ford Taurus, so it's never comfortable but I wouldn't say I'd never do it again. Most of the times were while driving on long road trips when I had very little money at my disposal. I'd be driving all day long, and it just seemed crazy to me to spend $50 at a motel to rest my eyes, so I just curled up as much as I could in the backseat or put my driver's seat back as far as it would go. Funnily enough, I would generally pull into a hotel parking lot to do this. There were also one or two times where I was supposed to drive someplace but was SO tired that I couldn't fathom even driving an additional 10 minutes to a hotel or a friend's place and just crashed.

Old 07-31-2007, 09:38 AM

1,942 posts, read 8,490,195 times
Yes, I have. At one point I was homeless. I was 19-20. I don't remember if I was kicked out or I left my parents' house...and I couldn't stay with a friend anymore...I didn't have money left...so I slept in a car, and then in a field..

Old 07-31-2007, 05:39 PM

420 posts, read 2,199,340 times
Jeez mrshvo, that sucks.

My story is a little lighter. I was at a conference in Phoenix, and they had this nice indoor/outdoor Hilton we were staying at. One night, I went down to the poor to have a cigar real late, at around 2 in the morning. When I got back to the room, my key didn't work. I was rooming with a colleague, so I knocked lightly at first. Then a little harder. He wasn't waking up so I went down to the front desk. Nobody was there... Is it just me, or has anyone else heard of a Hilton that doesn't have a concierge at all hours? Anyway, so I went back up to the room and started banging full fledged on the door. Nothing. At this point, I was more worried that my buddy was dead, than where I was going to sleep for the night. Of course, my cell was in the room so I couldn't call anyone. Luckily I had the keys to the rental so I went down, got in the back seat and just passed out. Good thing it was a Cadillac DTS, with a pretty large back seat, which was relatively comfy in retrospect. I woke up at around 7 am with the sun in my eyes. I went back to my room and knocked on the door. Still nothing!! So, I went and got some breakfast at the hotel restaurant. Went back to the room, knocked again, and finally this guy answers the door. He felt so bad, but I guess the only person I could blame was the hotel itself. Malfunctioning keys, and no concierge!? I was able to settle for some free stay vouchers, so in the end, things worked out rather well.

Old 07-31-2007, 07:28 PM

54,494 posts, read 33,862,309 times
I took a short nap one time at a rest area while driving back from Flagstaff, AZ to Phoenix. I wasn't sure what prompted me to do it, but when I was in college, I worked the graveyard shift (12:00 to 8:30 AM) and when I got off work in the morning, I was off the next night so I decided to take a day trip to northern Arizona and by the afternoon, on the way back to Phoenix, I was tired and needed to get a little sleep and Phoenix was still about 100 miles away, so I decided to pull into a rest area and take a nap for about 30 minutes.

Old 07-31-2007, 08:47 PM

15,603 posts, read 39,823,601 times
I recently slept in a Skoda rental car in northern Finland. After a 22 kilometer hike ending in rain. It was a nice car...but kinda uncomfortable to sleep in. I pulled over and slept for a few hours last year driving through Canada eh, in my 91 Dodge truck. That hurt much worse than the Skoda. I've slept in my mini-van numerous times while camping/road tripping. I spent a couple nights in my 68 chev pickup in a local campground (won't go into details) but it was even worse than the Dodge. When I was younger and working a local fish cannery...I would do 18 hours shifts, then crash in my 60's ford van right in the parking lot. I'd do that for a week...then go home for a shower and Mom's cooking. I can sleep anywhere. Even on a concrete floor (military thing). I have never slept in a card board box.

Old 07-31-2007, 09:38 PM

1,130 posts, read 2,237,938 times
Red face I can't believe I'm telling this!

Yes once, I was living in Charlston S.C. with a friend and she moved her boy friend in with us. He was in the Military he layed out on a Monday and the MP's about knocked the door down came crashing through the room and drug him hand cuffed to work or the brigg I don't know cause this kid packed her bags jumped in the old buick and headed to N.C. (mama) But on the way---- (Now keep in mind) I was 20 rebelling and running from the Lord, threw a joint out the window and set my back seat on fire. By the time I figured out where all the smoke was comming from it was in full blaze. I stopped at a rest area in Columbia and got a truck driver to help me take it out and while he was at the water fountain cause he was making goo goo eyes, I jumped back in the buick and took off. Very naive and scared to death. I came home no gas no money to the parsonage and slept in my car. That morning my Father pecked on the window and said God does answer prayers doesn't he sis! My grandmother ( who passed away this year) was visiting. Man if you've never gotten a letcure from a Southern Belle Grandmother be thankful! not to

Old 07-31-2007, 10:17 PM

3,109 posts, read 10,837,966 times
Several 2-3 hour power naps during a 2800 mile road trip are the hot ticket for me....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics