Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2011, 10:25 PM

44,343 posts, read 20,040,208 times

Advertisements

Hello, kids! Do you drink fruit juice on a regular basis?
Would you be surprised to learn that it is LOADED
with carbohydrates and sugars? I learned this about
10 years ago, but was just reading up on it again tonight.
So scroll on down for some interesting info in Today's Tip.

JUST WHAT IS THE SUGAR CONTENT OF FRUIT JUICE?
We'll use orange, apple, cherry and grape juice as examples. Even with no sugar added, fruit juice contains about the same amount of sugar as the same amount of soft drink because apples, oranges and grapes are naturally full of sugar. (No surprise there: Processed sugar comes from plants, usually corn or sugar cane or sugar beets.) The table below compares the sugar in 12 ounces of juice (no sugar added) with 12 ounces of Coca-Cola. If you look at the nutrition label on a can of Coke or fruit juice, the "carbohydrate" is mostly sugar. Four grams of sugar carbs equal approximately 1 teaspoon of sugar.

[I couldn't get the table to duplicate here, but it shows that all juices except orange were higher in calories than Coke, and all were nearly the same, or higher, in carb and sugar content. You can view the table via the link at the end of this post. ~ PJ]

Whether fruit juice is "100 percent juice" or not is almost beside the point - both kinds are loaded with sugar and calories. If it's "100 percent juice," the sugar is from the fructose that's naturally present in fruit. If it's "10 percent juice" (or 20 percent, or whatever), most of the sugar is in the form of high-fructose corn syrup. Snacking on sugary beverages all day long, whether they're soft drinks or fruit juice, is not a good thing, for kids or adults. Over-consumption of sugar contributes to obesity and diabetes.

http://www.hookedonjuice.com/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2011, 10:34 PM

114,838 posts, read 65,785,269 times
I drinks me V-8 Juice it's ummm ummm good!! I get my real sugar high from my Sweet iced tea! Love citrus ..thanks Pam!

Old 04-13-2011, 10:43 PM

7,371 posts, read 6,829,093 times
I think I'll go grab myself a Coke and get my vitamins somewhere else than orange juice. Great tip Pam!!

Old 04-13-2011, 10:52 PM

25,080 posts, read 16,320,927 times
Yeah I here taigagirl a coke works for me... Great tip though PJ8

Old 04-13-2011, 11:44 PM

15,927 posts, read 8,135,319 times
and I thought I was getting healthy drinking gin & cranberry juice!!! LoL!!!

Old 04-14-2011, 12:49 AM

15,891 posts, read 18,306,456 times
I actually knew this because I'm diabetic and stay away from fruit juice except for a small glass of oj from time to time.

I think that fruit juice was the hardest thing for me to give up 3 years ago.

I love all fruit juices except pineapple. I can't tolerate it because I ate too much free pineapple in Hawaii when my Girl Scout troop toured the Dole pineapple factory in Honolulu in 1958. They just kept feeding it to us and we gobbled it all down. ahahahahahaha.

This is a great tip, Pam. I appreciate you so much for all these excellent tips.

Old 04-14-2011, 01:00 AM

44,618 posts, read 61,562,449 times
Good tip tipster Pam. Also note too much sugar leads to hypertension, high blood pressure and possible heart problems.
And look at what happens with the sugar high some kids get.

Old 04-14-2011, 05:37 AM

9,718 posts, read 6,414,169 times
I don't drink glasses of juice. I add a little orange juice to my freshly brewed iced tea.......sweetened with "real" sugar

Old 04-14-2011, 05:40 AM

6,926 posts, read 6,548,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketabcha View Post
I actually knew this because I'm diabetic and stay away from fruit juice except for a small glass of oj from time to time.

I think that fruit juice was the hardest thing for me to give up 3 years ago.

I love all fruit juices except pineapple. I can't tolerate it because I ate too much free pineapple in Hawaii when my Girl Scout troop toured the Dole pineapple factory in Honolulu in 1958. They just kept feeding it to us and we gobbled it all down. ahahahahahaha.

This is a great tip, Pam. I appreciate you so much for all these excellent tips.
Me too, I'm also diabetic but now I drink 4 ozs. of POM juice. It's half the sugar and carbs and loaded with all kinds of great vitamins...

Great tip, pam...

Old 04-14-2011, 06:34 AM

16,903 posts, read 16,111,618 times
This roosty's diabetic, too. NO-JUICE-FOR-YOU!!!<~~Juice Nazi) Just diet soda, water and my lower fat lactose free milk. Oh - and my beer! Reminds me - I have had my diet tea for a long time now.
Good to see you this important tip, Pamster!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics