U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2011, 01:59 PM

1,948 posts, read 908,351 times
Default 50th wedding anniversary gift ideas

OK creative people... I will be attending a 50th wedding anniversary party in two weeks and I have no idea what to give them. I don't know either of them very well -- the wife is in my ceramics club -- so anything really personal is out.

Ideas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2011, 03:32 PM

2,526 posts, read 857,142 times
How about a memory box?

One of our local gift shop carries these and they all have different sentiments on them. It would be a great place to keep all of the 50th Anniversay cards they will be getting.

Old 06-09-2011, 03:43 PM

10,199 posts, read 13,333,260 times
That is amazing. My parents will be hitting that mark later this month as well. I don't know what to get them either. I figured just showing up, eating the food, and visiting for a while would be plenty. LOL

Old 06-09-2011, 04:24 PM

23,785 posts, read 15,765,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KiwiKate View Post
OK creative people... I will be attending a 50th wedding anniversary party in two weeks and I have no idea what to give them. I don't know either of them very well -- the wife is in my ceramics club -- so anything really personal is out.

Ideas?
I remember when my parents had their fiftieth anniversary, we thought long and hard for just what to get them. They had everything they ever needed, wanted, and there simply wasn’t any special gift that we (or others) could give them. After looking around at different traditional items, nothing we saw would have been of interest to them in having.

However we did find just what worked out very well and made a hit at the party. I found several 50 year old items at antique stores that I put together as a gift. Things for example was an old post card of the city that they had gotten married in with a picture of the hotel they stayed at. I also found 50 year old coins that were put into a plastic case for display. I couldn’t find a mint or proof set of coins for that year so I got the best condition coins I would for that year. There was an old antique calendar page for the month and year of their wedding that I got framed, and also a newspaper for the month and year worked out well. I couldn’t find the exact date so I settled for the month and year original front page.

Simply finding some of the old pictured advertising from magazines of that time period and getting them framed for display is an option. You can’t imagine how funny some of the pictures and or magazine ads are with the “back then” prices are. Example a barber shop ad with 5 cent shaves, 10 cent hair cuts etc. make a different gift. You’d want to have an item that would “reflect” their special interests, work, or needed from that time period to help make it special for them.

There are lots of items to find in antique stores like The Brass Armadillo if you have one in your area, if not look online for 50 year old items and work something cleaver out with making it a display of their anniversary.

I found an old picture postcard of the Indy 500 Race Trace that was send via the mail so it had a stamped date for the stamp cancellation on the back of the card. I bought the card for $1.oo and found a $3.oo plastic display case for it, then gave it to my brother in law who for a birthday gag gift one year, only to find that “this” picture postcard was of the “original track” before they enlarged it. It was perhaps the first picture postcard of the Indy 500 and had a great deal of value, far more than I had anticipated. The brother in law can’t find anything like it for the Indy 500 and believes this is the only surviving postcard from that original time period.

Hope some of those ideas work out.

Old 06-09-2011, 04:43 PM

24,495 posts, read 14,127,595 times
The traditional 50th Anniversary gift is gold.

You can start with that and work your way around the universe. I had my grandparents wedding photo restored and framed in a gold frame for them and a family photo of all the generations of children together (that was a pain to coordinate).

Moving away from gold there are places online who will engrave a prayer or poem in stone or glass.
Here's an example: Once in a Lifetime Engraved Anniversary Keepsake: Personalized Engraved Anniversary Gifts - Personalized & engraved anniversary gifts at up to 40% off at EngravableGifts2Go.com

Old 06-09-2011, 09:34 PM

23,785 posts, read 15,765,663 times
I remember for some birthdays of friends and family members I would find the old original LOOK or LIFE magazine for the week and year of their birth. Some “original” issues of are hard to find but you have to know where to go looking for them. Very interesting advertising!

Old 06-09-2011, 09:44 PM

24,495 posts, read 14,127,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AksarbeN View Post
I remember for some birthdays of friends and family members I would find the old original LOOK or LIFE magazine for the week and year of their birth. Some “original” issues of are hard to find but you have to know where to go looking for them. Very interesting advertising!
That reminded me you can get or even just print and frame a certificate of what happened on that day in history. You can do that specific day or all days throughout the years and different combo's of info - like other Anniversaries. Here are a couple sites.

Download On This Day In History 1.0 Free - On This Day In History - discover history.

On-This-Day.com : Day Select

Old 06-09-2011, 10:34 PM

1,948 posts, read 908,351 times
Thanks for the great ideas. I knew you'd help. Keep 'em coming!

Old 06-10-2011, 04:39 AM

19,922 posts, read 7,240,349 times
My aunt and uncle are celebrating their 50th on Sunday and they are holding a buffet brunch for family and friends. For gifts, they have asked each one of us to make a donation to our favorite charities. I know that doesn't help you select a gift for the party you'll be attending, but I thought it was a really terrific idea and one that I hope will catch on.

Whatever you decide, enjoy the party.

Old 06-10-2011, 05:55 AM

5,685 posts, read 5,432,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charley View Post
My aunt and uncle are celebrating their 50th on Sunday and they are holding a buffet brunch for family and friends. For gifts, they have asked each one of us to make a donation to our favorite charities. I know that doesn't help you select a gift for the party you'll be attending, but I thought it was a really terrific idea and one that I hope will catch on.
I agree that this is a terrific idea, and I heartily endorse it. That's what the senior generation in our family has always done for notable birthdays, anniversaries and other events, and particularly for seniors in comfortable circumstances who don't need more tshatshkes gathering dust in the house, it's a splendid solution.

I think in your case, I'd look at the couple's hobbies and interests. If they like classical music, donate to a local symphony or music school. If they enjoy live drama, donate to a local or regional repertory theater company. If they are fond of reading, donate to a library or a literacy center. Other ideas I can think of would include a community center, a homeless shelter, a food pantry, or an apprenticeship program.

And for a non-monetary gift, consider doing something like volunteering for ten hours on a Habitat project or as a literacy tutor. Donate a pint of blood, if you are able to do so. After my mom was diagnosed with cancer and could no longer donate, her standing request for every birthday, Christmas and other occasion was that her friends and family give a pint in her honor, and in the seven years she lived with cancer, there were several gallons donated as "gifts" to her.

A couple of decades ago, my late aunt and uncle were coming up on their fiftieth anniversary, and their three daughters spearheaded an amazing program in their honor. Aunt and Uncle had spent their entire retirement up to that point volunteering with Habitat for Humanity, and they had helped to build literally dozens of homes with that fine organization. Their daughters worked with the Habitat chapter to set up a special fund for the anniversary, and then went on a campaign to raise enough in donations to fund the construction of an entire home.

Aunt and Uncle had a huge collection of family, friends and colleagues who rose to the occasion, and their anniversary celebration included the ground-breaking ceremony for a Habitat home that was funded completely from donations in honor of Aunt and Uncle's fiftieth anniversary. And to this day, there is a family out there living in a solid, sturdy home that they would not otherwise have been able to afford without Habitat for Humanity and that very special anniversary celebration.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics