U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2006, 01:21 PM

618 posts, read 2,552,121 times

Advertisements

What are every body's worst pet peeves? Mine is when the toilet paper Roll runs out.... and somebody gets a new roll of toilet paper.... but doesn't bother to replace it on the dispenser, and just puts it on the back of the toilet or something. I don't know why, but it drives me NUTS!!! I mean... it takes like 10 extra seconds to make the switch, and throw the empty roll away. Anyway, I know in the grand scheme of things, it really doesn't matter, but no matter much I tell myself that, it still bugs me!!!

Last edited by Calibelle; 08-31-2006 at 01:45 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2006, 01:34 PM

8,191 posts, read 28,107,596 times
Calibelle, good thing you don't live with my husband!

My biggest pet peeves are people who are rude and people who do not take good care of their pets.

Old 08-31-2006, 01:42 PM

618 posts, read 2,552,121 times
My husband is well trained.... Just Joking. No, but he is good about the toilet paper thing.
Another thing that drives me nuts, are parents that yell at their kids in public. Like when they are discipling them for something, and they do it so the whole world can hear. I feel so bad for those kids. I was at a park the other day watching this grandmother with her grandson. The little boy, had sand all over him from the sandbox, and she was trying to brush him off. He kept trying to wipe the sand out of his eyes, and didn't understand that he had sand on his hands, that was making things worse. She was screaming at him, calling him an idiot. Then she took off his pants to shake them off, and shook the sand right in his eyes. He started crying again, and she started spanking his butt, and yelling at him. Some people.. I just don't understand. The little boy was only 2 years old or so.

Old 08-31-2006, 04:16 PM

2,814 posts, read 12,072,849 times
I hate it when people say "their" when speaking in a sentence when the subject is not plural. Or, when they use the contraction "there's" for a singular subject. Examples: "A person could save their money if they wouldn't spend so much".. or, "There's forty balloons in the pack". Why can't those sentences be correctly written as: "A person could save his or her money if he or she wouldn't spend so much". In the old days (1960's/1970's), one would simply write: "A person could save his money if he wouldn't spend so much". It was understood that the "his/he" was impersonal and neutral gender. And for the "There's forty balloons in the pack" example, why are they not saying; "There're (contraction for 'they are')forty balloons in the pack". That drives me frickin' nuts. And it's not just Americans, I've heard British people doing the same thing and it's common even with newscasters and prominent speakers. I hate it.

Old 08-31-2006, 04:32 PM

14,874 posts, read 37,249,254 times
yo peeps wassup u
got2go

Those are MY pet peeves. This computer slang stuff. URGH!!!! Especially when it is adults that are using this crappolo to communicate to others. One year we had a director with the local youth soccer that all of his emails were like this. For crying out loud, is it too hard to spell it all out?!?!?!?!?! No wonder our children have such horrible English.

Old 08-31-2006, 07:38 PM

2,098 posts, read 5,874,371 times
1. When people talk during movies.
2. The way some people drive (I have mild road rage, I'm from Jersey...the left lane is for PASSING NOT CRUISING!!!!!!!!)
3. When people speak grammatically incorrect (hey, everyone makes mistakes or uses slang, but I'm talking about obvious ones, such as irregardless. It's regardless, if there were such a word as irregardless then it would mean regardless of being regardless...makes no sense) Or when people say Soder, instead of Soda, or Idear instead of Idea. We get a lot of that around here.
4. Ebonics or whatever it's called. Why do people purposely try to speak bad?
5. People who wear their pants so low their boxer shorts stick out. It's not attractive, it's sloppy and simply ridiculous.
6. The word Yo.
7. Oh yeah, when my husband leaves his clothes right in front of the hamper (what happened, you couldn't make that extra inch?) Or the toilet seat up...I've fallen in late at night while attempting to go in the dark!!! (more than once)

I'm sure I have more but I have to think about it. Just for the record, I'm not trying to insult or offend anyone in particular, these are just things that I see everyday and don't understand.

Old 08-31-2006, 08:23 PM

30,184 posts, read 67,327,076 times
I personally blare my horn whenever the person in front of me stops and turns without signalling! How rude (and not to mention dangerous!) ;o)

Old 08-31-2006, 09:34 PM

3,823 posts, read 13,369,287 times
Default My Pet Peeve....our Cat!

My pet peeve is our Himalayan cat. He will always cut in front of you when going up and down the stairs. He also will get in front of you and then stop....is this cat trying to trip me up????

Oh...another one...same cat...I tell the cat NO and he will talk (meow) back at me while walking away. I then tell him not to talk back and he will meow at me again! These meows are not the nice ones we like to hear....I could swear he IS talking back to me!

Now these are REAL Pet Peeves!!!

Old 08-31-2006, 09:48 PM

1,318 posts, read 5,392,355 times
Talking This is a good one Calibelle!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoMark
Why can't those sentences be correctly written as: "A person could save his or her money if he or she wouldn't spend so much".
You just reminded me of one of my pet peeves!!!!!!!!!
I HATE that!!!!!!!! Why are we going to waste time to put the "or her" - I mean, you can get some goshdang long sentences going on like that!!!!!!!!
Really, does it freakin matter????? I ALWAYS say "they could put their blinker on" (another of mine too Scranton! ) if I don't know who the driver is -which you usually don't! I mean if I SEE then I would use the appropriate gender. Also, I just ALWAYS say he! Like for an animal. Even if I know it's a she sometimes. Someone will correct me & I'll be like "yeah, he ,she, whatever!" I just really don't care about gender roles the same way I don't care about race or religion. And since people always said "he", that's what I say.
It's the same idea as the "One Nation Under God" thing. It's like whatever! I would be considered agnostic I guess, (again, don't care about the label) but it was written as One Nation Under God! So who cares?

Old 08-31-2006, 09:54 PM

1,318 posts, read 5,392,355 times
Oh! (MOMark, you got me on the grammar thing!) I HATE when people use "an" before a word that starts with a consonant!!!!!!! "They bought an new stereo"!!!!!!!! NO!!!!!!!!!! They bought an elliptical machine and a new stereo!!!!!!! I see that ALL the time!!!!!!! Drives me NUTS!!!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics