U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2011, 11:09 PM

5,685 posts, read 5,470,525 times
Default Today's Question Sunday, 19 June 2011

Good Sunday morning, all, and a very happy Fathers’ Day to all the dads, granddads, stepdads, surrogate dads, uncles and big brothers out there!

Today is a warm and beautiful day here in south-central Wisconsin, a good day to haul out the grill and celebrate Fathers’ Day with a couple of slabs of country ribs roasted over a slow fire. It’s strawberry season here, too, and we came home from the Farmers’ Market yesterday with a couple of quarts of perfectly ripe berries for shortcake for dessert. Well, at least a quart or so of ‘em ought to actually make it into the shortcake, though quite a few have already unaccountably disappeared.

But before I go start cutting up strawberries and mixing up shortcake batter, let’s take a few moments together to consider:

Today’s Question(s):

For those of you celebrating Fathers’ Day today, what will you do to mark the occasion?

For those not celebrating Fathers’ Day, do you have any fun plans lined up for the day?

Bonus Question:

Have you ever had an unexpected “guest” in your home – a mouse, bat, squirrel, possum, deer, or other critter?

How did you get rid of your unwelcome guest? Funny stories (photos, too) are encouraged!

Extra Credit Question:

If all the electronic toys in your home – television, DVD player, computer, stereo/MP3-player, radio, games, etc. – suddenly went on strike, what would you do to entertain yourself?

Just for Fun:

If you could eat any one thing in the world without worrying about cost, calories, cholesterol or anything else, what would it be?

Today in History:
1846 – The first officially recorded, organized baseball match is played (under Alexander Cartwright’s rules) at the Elysian Fields at Hoboken, New Jersey. The New York Base Ball Club defeated the Knickerbockers 23-1.
1865 – Over two years after the Emancipation Proclamation, slaves in Galveston, Texas are finally informed of their freedom
1910 – The first Fathers’ Day is celebrated in Spokane, Washington
1934 – The Communications Act of 1934 establishes the US Federal Communications Commission
1953 – Julius and Ethel Rosenberg are executed at Sing Sing Prison in New York
1964 – The Civil Rights Act of 1964 is approved after surviving an 83-day filibuster in the US Senate
1974 – A female resident of Bellevue, Washington becomes the first person to be saved by the Heimlich maneuver
1978 – Garfield appears in his first comic strip

Word of the Day:
Scunner \ skŭn ər\ noun
1. a strong aversion (often in the phrase take a scunner to)
2. an object of dislike; nuisance
[From Middle English skunner, to shrink back in disgust, from scurnen, to flinch.]

Today Is:
Fathers’ Day
World Sauntering Day
Juneteenth
World Sickle Cell Day
Eat an Oreo Day
National Martini Day
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2011, 11:13 PM

98,687 posts, read 25,311,754 times
Today’s Question(s):

For those of you celebrating Fathers’ Day today, what will you do to mark the occasion?

For those not celebrating Fathers’ Day, do you have any fun plans lined up for the day?

Bonus Question:

Have you ever had an unexpected “guest” in your home – a mouse, bat, squirrel, possum, deer, or other critter?
Well yeah prolly! These damned cats!
How did you get rid of your unwelcome guest? Funny stories (photos, too) are encouraged!
There's no getting rid of them!

Extra Credit Question:

If all the electronic toys in your home – television, DVD player, computer, stereo/MP3-player, radio, games, etc. – suddenly went on strike, what would you do to entertain yourself?
Beats me! Pickup the Gkid I guess!

Just for Fun:

If you could eat any one thing in the world without worrying about cost, calories, cholesterol or anything else, what would it be?

The biggest Ribeye steak on the planet!

Today in History:
1846 – The first officially recorded, organized baseball match is played (under Alexander Cartwright’s rules) at the Elysian Fields at Hoboken, New Jersey. The New York Base Ball Club defeated the Knickerbockers 23-1.
1865 – Over two years after the Emancipation Proclamation, slaves in Galveston, Texas are finally informed of their freedom
1934 – The Communications Act of 1934 establishes the US Federal Communications Commission
1964 – The Civil Rights Act of 1964 is approved after surviving an 83-day filibuster in the US Senate
1974 – A female resident of Bellevue, Washington becomes the first person to be saved by the Heimlich maneuver

Word of the Day:
Scunner \ skŭn ər\ noun
[From Middle English skunner, to shrink back in disgust, from scurnen, to flinch.]

Today Is:
Fathers’ Day
World Sauntering Day
Juneteenth
World Sickle Cell Day
Eat an Oreo Day
National Martini Day

Old 06-18-2011, 11:24 PM

25,085 posts, read 8,601,685 times
Merry pre-Father's Day and Happy pre-Sunday cause technically in my neck of the woods it's still Saturday night.

I do have plans, the boys and I shall go to church and return home for a nice sit down Sunday meal together where they will sing Happy Father's day mother to me LOL

I had an unwelcome guess not too long ago- it was a creepy crawly and my neighbor who is 86 has mice. I am always concerned one may come over here for a visit and that would not be welcomed at all.

No electronics... well I think I would read and get house work done. I would enjoy watching my kids adjust. It's crazy they don't know a world without such gadgets.

Sees chocolates and rocky road ice cream is what I would eat "IF"...

Love and Peace allyall

Old 06-18-2011, 11:28 PM

27,948 posts, read 20,650,846 times
Today’s Question(s):

For those of you celebrating Fathers’ Day today, what will you do to mark the occasion? No plans, waiting for the obligatory phone call.

For those not celebrating Fathers’ Day, do you have any fun plans lined up for the day? Nope.

Bonus Question:

Have you ever had an unexpected “guest” in your home – a mouse, bat, squirrel, possum, deer, or other critter? Mouse's in the garage. That's as far as they get. Bammm. Relatives, unexpected, don't answer the door.

How did you get rid of your unwelcome guest? Funny stories (photos, too) are encouraged! Traps, using peanut butter as bait..

Extra Credit Question:

If all the electronic toys in your home – television, DVD player, computer, stereo/MP3-player, radio, games, etc. – suddenly went on strike, what would you do to entertain yourself? That would be R rated on CD.

Just for Fun:

If you could eat any one thing in the world without worrying about cost, calories, cholesterol or anything else, what would it be? T-bone steak cooked over mesquite.

Hope all you dads have a great day today...

Old 06-19-2011, 12:00 AM

7,661 posts, read 1,456,595 times
Thanks for the QOTD MBW - hope you enjoy your Father's Day celebrations - and that yummy sounding strawberry shortcake!

Today’s Question(s):

Not Father's Day Downunder

Bonus Question:

I currently have a family of possums who seem to think it's great fun to cavort noisily on my roof every evening at dusk. In fact, they outside right now throwing a party. My going outside and hollering only stops them for five minutes. Often, possums will make a nest inside the roof - not sure that this family has found a way inside yet - hopefully they won't. I've also had bush rats from time to time. No squirrels or wild deer 'round here. There are zillions of fruit bats in this area, that fly overhead every evening from their nesting area to their feeding area, but thus far none of them have stopped for a layover at my place.

Possums are a pain in the you-know-where to get rid of... they are a protected species in Australia so no popping them off with a shotgun, or poisoning them (not that I would in any case). One is supposed to catch them in a special trap and then release them not too far away (it's against the law to move them outside their own territory). However, they simply find their way back within a day or two. I don't worry about them if they're ON my roof, but if they get INSIDE, I find the most effective trick is to put a light up there and leave it on 24/7. Since possums are nocturnal, they become cheesed-off with the constant light after about 3 days and move out. Then it's time to get the handyman in to find the spot where they managed to find their way in.

Extra Credit Question:

I'd go to the library, take out as many books as possible and hope the strike is over before I finish all the books.On the way home from the library I'd stop off at the chocolate shop to take my mind off all those striking electronics.

Just for Fun:

Anything seafood - lobsters, shrimp, scallops, crabs.

Hope all those who are celebrating Father's Day have a great time!

Last edited by Kobber; 06-19-2011 at 12:35 AM..

Old 06-19-2011, 12:22 AM

5,933 posts, read 6,681,628 times
Good morning all. Happy Fathers Day to the other dads out there!

Today’s Question(s):

Breakfast with the family, tinkering around the house, watch the race, take a motorcycle ride (was rained out today), and then do some 'work' after dinner to get a jump on the week.

Bonus Question:

My youngest told me one night at dinner that she had seen a snake in the garage the day before. Why didn't she tell me then??? Anyway, we had wound up with two snakes (little guys about a foot long) in the garage. I relocated both of them to the nearby woods. Hopefully they'll forget how to find their way back!

A rake and a brown shopping bag.

Extra Credit Question:

Twitch!!! from withdrawal!!!

Just for Fun:

Good quality steaks (rib-eyes, prime rib, NY Strips, etc)

Today Is:
Fathers’ Day Just another day...
World Sauntering Day
Juneteenth
World Sickle Cell Day
Eat an Oreo Day
National Martini Day

Have a restful Sunday everyone!

Old 06-19-2011, 01:51 AM

10,395 posts, read 6,299,197 times
Morning all. Those stawberries sound good!

My daughter is preparing a roast lamb meal for later.

Bonus Question:

Mice have been known to take up residence. We did have a cow stick it's head through the kitchen door when we were remodelling the house, and the fence to the field was down. We've often had cows, pheasants and the occasional deer in the yard. We think there may be an otter in the stream at the end of the garden.

One of our chickens jumped up and put its head through the kitchen window one time, just as I was pulling a, well a chicken out of the oven.

Oh- just remembered; one day a load of flying ants suddenly erupted from the floor in the main room. Thank goodness for hoovers.

One time, in the middle of the night, there was a noise coming from a built in wardrobe in our bedroom. I opened it to find a mouse eating a hidden Easter Egg. It must have been dopey because it allowed me to pick it up and it exited via the window.

Picture of the nosey cows;

http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g290/Jezer57/2010May022.jpg (broken link)

Extra Credit Question:

Easy- read!

Just for Fun:

I don't worry about that side of things too much anyway. Maybe I'd have more lamb.

Old 06-19-2011, 02:00 AM

98,687 posts, read 25,311,754 times
Dang Jezer!! There's the beef!! No need to go to the store for beef! Makes for some really fresh BBQ!~!

Old 06-19-2011, 03:16 AM

4,279 posts, read 3,107,452 times
Today’s Question(s):

No one calls me dad

Have to work this evening.

Bonus Question:

They seem to stay out of my house. Once when I was driving I thought I saw something move inside my car. A little bit later I again saw something move. There was a mouse in my car

The mouse became a fatality when it was involved in a head on accident with a mouse trap.

Extra Credit Question:

I would pack a lunch, hop in the Jeep, and go find some peaceful place to relax for the day.

Just for Fun:

Only one thing. Come on now. Are you sure I can't pick 2 or 3 or 100 things? Oh well. I will go with Jumbo Alaskan Red King Crab with melted dipping butter on the saide.

Today in History:

Word of the Day:
Scunner \ skŭn ər\ noun

Today Is:
Fathers’ Day
World Sauntering Day
Juneteenth
World Sickle Cell Day
Eat an Oreo Day
National Martini Day

Old 06-19-2011, 04:12 AM

Location: Going back to the forest to be with nature's goodness.
14,413 posts, read 6,088,700 times
Today’s Question(s): Good Sunday morning!

Bonus Question:

Have you ever had an unexpected “guest” in your home – a mouse, bat, squirrel, possum, deer, or other critter? Just anoles and geckos.

How did you get rid of your unwelcome guest? Funny stories (photos, too) are encouraged! I catch them in my hands and carry them outside.

Extra Credit Question:

If all the electronic toys in your home – television, DVD player, computer, stereo/MP3-player, radio, games, etc. – suddenly went on strike, what would you do to entertain yourself? Play the guitars.

Just for Fun:

Fish, lobster, clams, shrimp, crawdads, scallops, mussels, crab legs.

Today Is:
National Martini Day Martini Navratilova

Thanks Bookworms ~ You and everybody have a good day! For those of you who do have yummy eats planned, please eat some for me! For those of you going to the zoo, please stop and say hello to the roosters for me. For those that are alone today, you're not the only one!
I wish you all a nice day!

Last edited by rainroosty; 06-19-2011 at 04:23 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics