U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 09-15-2011, 08:08 AM

8,183 posts, read 11,221,106 times
I am the classic middle child....I am the 3rd child, 2nd daughter....was the baby until I was six. I was not a happy camper.

I married a 1st born son of a doting mother. I think this was wise on his part...I keep him humble..not so much his mother's. I might bend but not very easily. But after 25 years I might not have her undying love I have her respect.

My sister is the oldest and truly likes to be the leader....I have an older brother who is much like me and a younger brother who is very much a classic youngest child.
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2011, 08:45 AM

2,526 posts, read 862,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
I am a middle child. I am one of 6 middle children stuck between a first and a last child. LOL

I am a second born son of a second born son of a second born son. I have a son that is a second born son. Does that mean I will come in second place?

My parents had 3 boys then 3 girls then a boy and then a girl.

Maybe someone could look that up and see where that puts me. LOL
Here are some of the typical traits that were listed for middle children:

Grew up feeling squeezed and rootless

Reasonable expectations:

social lion

independent thinker

compromising

diplomatic

secretive

Also listed with the above were strengths and weaknesses of middle children it's fairly long so I won't list them. Basically they take each trait and give the positive and negative side of it.

As the book goes on it gets into birth order and how it effects jobs and marriage. It's worth reading if you are into this kind of thing.

Old 09-15-2011, 10:14 AM

7,508 posts, read 2,056,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PJ8 View Post
My sister is a middle child, and she's nothing like this! Go figure.......
Haha of course, not everyone fits the mold. When I was reading these things, I knew that only God knew me from the inside out since He created me.

I am the fourth daughter according to the birth order pattern link.

Old 09-15-2011, 10:22 AM

19,077 posts, read 21,807,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larksong View Post
What your birth order?

I find birth order and personality traits very fascinating. I read a book called The Birth Order Book by Dr. Kevin Leman. It goes into many different avenues of our personality in relation to our family birth order. Naturally being the last born/baby of the family I went directly to that section and was called out on it first thing.......the book said that if you are a last born you have skippped over and come directly to this section.........I had and it also went on to say that many last borns were auto salespeople......I was in auto sales/finance. But because I came into the family several years behind my sister and brother I also exhibit some of the only child personality traits too. Those are just a couple of examples that were accurate for me.

What are your experiences/observations related to birth order?
And if you go to all the other sections it says the same thing...

Let's see. Being the youngest I observed:

Not knowing either parent without white hair.

Losing them both before I turned 35

Being an uncle before I was born

Not knowing 3 brothers who were adults and no longer living at home by the time I showed up

Parents that were tired of raising kids

Knowing little about family history. i.e. never being told all the war stories that everyone else shared growing up.

Never knew my fathers mother

Never knew my mothers father (Whom I was named after)

Very independent

Edit: I found some info on what the books says about last born. I think maybe my parents had another baby and didn't tell me...

Last edited by Tek_Freek; 09-15-2011 at 10:31 AM..

Old 09-16-2011, 06:07 PM

240 posts, read 58,401 times
I was born last (and also an only child).

My other siblings are only half-brothers and half-sisters (6 from my dads first marriage & 2 from my moms first marriage). So, I'm like an only child and the last one too. One of my half-sisters has passed away (in 2007).

I am married to a 2nd born (he has a half-sister who is the oldest and a younger brother). They both have since died (his sister in 2005 and his brother in 2007).

Old 09-16-2011, 06:16 PM

240 posts, read 58,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joanna76 View Post
I was born last (and also an only child).

My other siblings are only half-brothers and half-sisters (6 from my dads first marriage & 2 from my moms first marriage). So, I'm like an only child and the last one too. One of my half-sisters has passed away (in 2007).

I am married to a 2nd born (he has a half-sister who is the oldest and a younger brother). They both have since died (his sister in 2005 and his brother in 2007).

...So, I was an aunt before I was born.

...Never knew my mothers parents (they died when she was a little girl. She was raised by her aunt and uncle).

...Never knew my grandpa (my daddy's father. He died when my dad was a little boy).

...At 35 years old, I'm already a great-aunt (since I was 17).

...Both my parents were in their late 50's and early 60's when I went to high school.

Old 09-16-2011, 07:50 PM

11,322 posts, read 9,411,995 times
Middle child here. Older sister (spoiled by my father) and a much younger brother who I was, many times, elected to babysit. Older sister? Babysit? Princess's don't baby sit, and they don't wash dishes or clean the house!

I never liked being the middle child and my resentment of my sister has never left me.

Perhaps that explains, today, why I hate even sitting in the middle of a three-seat row in a plane.

Last edited by tijlover; 09-16-2011 at 07:51 PM.. Reason: edit

Old 08-04-2012, 02:37 PM

561 posts, read 302,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larksong View Post
What your birth order?

I find birth order and personality traits very fascinating. I read a book called The Birth Order Book by Dr. Kevin Leman. It goes into many different avenues of our personality in relation to our family birth order. Naturally being the last born/baby of the family I went directly to that section and was called out on it first thing.......the book said that if you are a last born you have skippped over and come directly to this section.........I had and it also went on to say that many last borns were auto salespeople......I was in auto sales/finance. But because I came into the family several years behind my sister and brother I also exhibit some of the only child personality traits too. Those are just a couple of examples that were accurate for me.

What are your experiences/observations related to birth order?
Birth order fascinates me, as well, although I don't fit the description of the oldest child. Many of the characteristics I possess are typical of the youngest child: outgoing, likes being center of attention, friendly (Okay, made that last one up; not sure which category friendliness goes under )
But I am definitely not controlling or a leader or serious or dominant. Whew!
I am very responsible, however, which is a first-born trait.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics