U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Merry Christmas!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 08-19-2007, 05:46 AM

1,048 posts, read 3,048,189 times

Advertisements

I just came back from a road trip to Seattle, WA and was driving through Oregon. I stopped for gas and happily got out of the car after a long drive only to find out that they do not have self service. Someone (around my age?) came out and had to put the credit card in for me and fill it up. Boy did I feel I was disable or just stupid.

Are there any other states that have these laws?

I guess they are doing it to create jobs. However, I would suggest that they do it for elderly/disabled/people who want to sit in their car and have someone do it. I guess next time I will have to get fuel before entering Oregon.
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2007, 07:33 AM

419 posts, read 1,456,891 times
New Jersey is another one I know of. I just moved to NY/North Jersey, and I love getting gas in NJ because if headed home from work and I'm really tired, I just sit there and pay the guy. It's also neat that they don't expect tips, and they do provide a service.

Old 08-19-2007, 08:02 AM

20,578 posts, read 16,884,040 times
I would SO love the 'gool ol' service stations to come back.

Old 08-19-2007, 08:20 AM

5,366 posts, read 8,779,156 times
Yes! having your windshield washed and your oil checked by the attendant served dual purposes. 1. You were better prepared to go down the road and 2. You would be likely to revisit that station or one of the same brand while traveling. Today's marketing majors should take note.

Old 08-19-2007, 08:55 AM

1,119 posts, read 2,720,385 times
Jersey. I had a few bad experiences in Jersey so when we
lived in Vermont we would always top the little Pug Bus up in
NY before we went in even thought it was more money. The
reason I made this decision is we were driving through the night
to PA. Pull in to get gas in some little strip mall town off the
Jersey turnpike and an Indian guy argues with me in very broken english
that our little car needs premium. This goes on for a little longer than I
wanted to tolerate at that hour in the morning and after 4 hours in the car.
So I get a little angry and say "JUST PUMP THE CHEEPEST STUFF
YOU HAVE, DAMMIT" which is not really my personality at all.

Old 08-19-2007, 09:10 AM

43,162 posts, read 20,143,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoWeb View Post
I just came back from a road trip to Seattle, WA and was driving through Oregon. I stopped for gas and happily got out of the car after a long drive only to find out that they do not have self service. Someone (around my age?) came out and had to put the credit card in for me and fill it up. Boy did I feel I was disable or just stupid.

Are there any other states that have these laws?

I guess they are doing it to create jobs. However, I would suggest that they do it for elderly/disabled/people who want to sit in their car and have someone do it. I guess next time I will have to get fuel before entering Oregon.
Yes, only Oregon and New Jersey are the only two states that don't have self-service gas stations.

I lived just outside of Portland, Oregon, from October of 1995 through January of 1997, and I had the same experience when I moved there and crossed into the Oregon border from California on I-5, around dusk or so, I stopped at a gas station to fill up the U-Haul and the Mustang I was driving (My friend was driving the U-Haul) in the town of Ashland, which is just north of the California border, and south of Medford. I grabbed the pump nozzle, and a guy who worked there came out and told us "There's no self service here". That's a phrase that he probably repeats hundreds of times everyday!

I like to be given the option of either self or full service. I know at one time a couple of decades ago, we had that choice here in Arizona. We were in the LA area back in March and I saw one such station.

Old 08-19-2007, 09:58 AM

3,093 posts, read 6,453,766 times
A friend of mine lives in NJ...told her to make sure she took her daughter over to PA to teach her HOW to pump her OWN gas cause MOST states don't do it for you...she LOL and said, yeah, she better. Liz

Old 08-19-2007, 03:04 PM

1,048 posts, read 3,048,189 times
It is good to know that only 2 states do and no more than that. I am sure some people like it, it is just that it should not be mandated for people (like me) who wants to do it myself.

Old 08-19-2007, 03:21 PM

6,351 posts, read 13,431,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L_A_Woman View Post
I would SO love the 'good ol' service stations to come back.
I used to LOVE stopping at the Giant Truck Stop in NM (I-40 mm39) when I was in our OTR fleet; FULL service (and no Line 4 in the log book) I understand it's self-service now that Pilot bought 'em out...sigh

Old 08-19-2007, 04:24 PM

859 posts, read 2,418,092 times
I've been driving for six years and have never pumped my own gas. I would have no clue what to do. The only other states I drive in are PA / NY and I just fill up before going.

I don't see why people who drive though sometimes have problems with it. It's a state law that has been around since the 1940s, started as a safety thing.

These people are getting paid to do it, so we shouldn't have to feel bad for them, it's their job.

And just this weekend, the gas attendant saved me. I was about to head on a 60 mile drive and stopped for gas and he told me my tire was almost flat ( I had no clue, I had been in a rush ) and he filled it up with air for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics