U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 10-23-2011, 10:48 PM

23,795 posts, read 15,782,780 times
Talking Halloweens most frightening experiences when you were young.

Halloweens most frightening experiences when you were young.

Elvira Midnight Madness was the show to watch back when I was a young man and actually watched tv in those days. The video clip is a reminder of the good olí days. I somehow never was able to go trick or treating at her house, I must have been lucky. Life was too scary when youíre young and Elvira was the one who kept me on the edge of my seat.

Elvira Midnight Madness - She Demons - YouTube

Elvira Presents House of Dark Shadows Part 1 - YouTube

Another late night Saturday show on TV was Dr Sanguinary. He was on our local tv station in Omaha back then.

Creature Feature - A Retrospective on Doctor San Guinary - YouTube

So what did you do on Halloween night when you were young?
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2011, 11:16 PM

Default Last Halloween night that I remember (as a teen)

One of the Halloween nights when I was young, our little town would always allow the kids to collect anything that wasnít nailed down and pile it into a large mound in the middle of the cityís main cross streets. This was an annual event for a number of years; I donít remember when they ended it for some reason. However back to the story, one night we managed to get a large horse driven wooden wagon, disassembled it and pulled all the pieces up onto the roof top of the Village Drug store where it was reassembled and was in view from the streets.

Things went well for the most part, until I found myself (and friends) riding in the back of a large dump truck heading out into the country. I wasnít paying much attention to where we were going and really didnít know what we were going to do after we got there. It ended up that the truck stopped at the farm of my grandparents. And on this dark and cold night the truck drove very carefully down the lane to the house and stopped. Everyone jumped out and ran to my grandparents ďouthouseĒ where they were able to pick it up and moved it to the truck, placing it in the back and driving off.

The truck returned to the town and placed the outhouse in the center of Main Street in front of the Drug store.

The next day, Dad got a phone call from Grandma about the missing outhouse. Needless to say, he wasnít happy about it however the city employees worked at removing all the piled stuff from the intersection of the main cross streets and returned the outhouse to Grandmaís farm.

Amazingly I wasnít into too much trouble on that one with Dad. I guess he understood that I was too young to drive the dump truck and didnít have much control of the other kids who thought up this prank to play.

It was all in good fun, and the city residents all had pranks played on them one way or the other.

That might have been the last of the Halloween night pranks the teens did in that town years ago, I canít remember any after that special night. The TV stations of a larger city nearby would send their reports with cameras to our little town and take pictures of the mess that was made each Halloween night.

Old 10-23-2011, 11:18 PM

131,636 posts, read 42,778,166 times
My only worry was not getting enough chocolate candy in my bag.

Old 10-24-2011, 12:06 AM

98,564 posts, read 25,094,554 times
Oh yeah...Elvira was real scary! Popcorn Balls rule!!!!

Old 10-24-2011, 01:36 AM

27,913 posts, read 20,452,269 times
Elvira is still on after midnight in many of the TV markets today. The movies she promotes are just as hokey as in ealrier years. And she still looks as if she about to fall out of her low cut dress.

Elvira, Elvira, my heart is on fire for Elvira.
Eyes that look like heaven, lips like sherry wine
That girl can sure enough make my little light shine
I get a funny feelin' up and down my spine
'Cause I know that my Elvira's mine...
Giddy Up Oom Poppa Omm Poppa Mow Mow...Oakridge Boys

Old 10-24-2011, 02:07 AM

762 posts, read 490,611 times
By far my worst Halloween was my first...I was 4 and up until that time we had lived in England so I had no clue what halloween was at all. My brothers were very excited and took off as soon as they were allowed. My Mother dressed me as a pumpkin and set me loose to go trick or treating by myself because my brothers were long gone. I went to the house across the street and the house next to that. I really didn't have any idea what I was doing so I went to another house. The last house the guy answered the door as a ghost zombie thing..I just remember he was all in white ..scared the bejeezus out of me!! I started crying and went home. By this time it was just getting dark...I went to 3 or 4 houses and had just that much candy...
Now before you start ranting on my Mom for doing what she did please know that first this was in 1960 long before all the halloween scares. Second, we lived in a very small subdivision (maybe 20-30 houses) on the edge of a small town..everyone knew everyone else. Third, my sister was still a baby and my Mom had her hands full. I was home before dark, I was never lost I just had no idea what I was doing!! This did color my feelings for Halloween tho and could never get into it after that. I was happy to just pass out candy for many years.

Old 10-24-2011, 09:19 AM

I hope moms and dads these days don't allow their kids to go out alone, especially the young ones. The are too many weirdos out there in large and smaller cities that you can't trust.

Our neighborhood is having a blockparty for the kids and avoid the door to door for the most part.

Old 10-24-2011, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitram View Post
Elvira is still on after midnight in many of the TV markets today. The movies she promotes are just as hokey as in ealrier years. And she still looks as if she about to fall out of her low cut dress.

Elvira, Elvira, my heart is on fire for Elvira.
Eyes that look like heaven, lips like sherry wine
That girl can sure enough make my little light shine
I get a funny feelin' up and down my spine
'Cause I know that my Elvira's mine...
Giddy Up Oom Poppa Omm Poppa Mow Mow...Oakridge Boys

You did pretty good there nitram!

Oak Ridge Boys - Elvira - YouTube

Old 10-24-2011, 10:06 AM

15,920 posts, read 4,617,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SATX56 View Post
Oh yeah...Elvira was real scary! Popcorn Balls rule!!!!

Popcorn balls??? I've heard them called some funny names before, but not popcorn balls!!!

Old 10-24-2011, 12:06 PM

8,376 posts, read 2,437,235 times
Halloween was never frightening to me. It was my favorite holiday of the year! When I was young I enjoyed getting the candy and dressing up. Now that I think about it, I still enjoy getting candy and dressing up (my profile pic for this month is my witch costume). OMG! That means I haven't grown up yet.... now THAT's frightening!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics