U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2011, 10:28 AM

1,950 posts, read 908,351 times
Sunny and high 70s in the NV desert today.

Today’s Question(s):

Have you ever worked or attended school in a place where people come to work in costume on October 31? Yes -- a children's hospital.

Have you ever gone to work or school in a Halloween costume? Yes.

Youngsters along the Eastern seaboard will be trudging through snowbanks this year to Trick or Treat! What kind of weather will the little ghosties and goblins experience in your neck of the woods this year? Cool and clear.

When you were a child, did you ever go trick-or-treating in a snowsuit? No, but my kids had to wear several layers under their costumes.

When did you last change a light bulb in your home? Couple of weeks ago.

Was it a/an:
Incandescent bulb? x
Fluorescent bulb?
Halogen bulb?
Other??

Tell us your favorite knock-knock joke! I don't remember jokes, so I'm always good for a laugh when someone tells me one.

Today In History:
1864 – Nevada is admitted as the 36th U.S. state Yay!
1941 – After fourteen years of work, the sculptures at Mount Rushmore are completed Very inspirational!

Happy day everyone. I'm off to golf!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2011, 10:31 AM

11,151 posts, read 9,337,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MidwesternBookWorm View Post
Good morning, all, and happy Halloween!
Happy Halloween to all!

Today’s Question(s):

Have you ever worked or attended school in a place where people come to work in costume on October 31?

Yes.

Have you ever gone to work or school in a Halloween costume?

Yes -- I worked at a small boarding school where the entire staff dressed up for Halloween.

Anyone have any funny stories about working in a Halloween costume?

Not about me, but one year at that boarding school we had a fund-raiser auction. One of the prizes was that the winner could dress the Head of Discipline in any costume for Halloween. Said Head of Discipline was a grizzled old ex-Marine who (surprisingly graciously) wore a pink tutu the entire day. Talk about a good sport!

Bonus Question:

Youngsters along the Eastern seaboard will be trudging through snowbanks this year to Trick or Treat! What kind of weather will the little ghosties and goblins experience in your neck of the woods this year?

Chilly, but clear.

When you were a child, did you ever go trick-or-treating in a snowsuit?

A heavy coat, yes, snowsuit, no.

Extra Credit Question:

When did you last change a light bulb in your home?

I had to change one about a month ago, and NEED to change one now -- but it's in a ceiling light and I'm procrastinating pulling out the stepstool and climbing up there.

Was it a/an:
Incandescent bulb?
Fluorescent bulb?
Halogen bulb?
Other??
Fluorescent, I guess -- it was one of those curlicue lightbulbs. You know, the ones that look like a dish of Dairy Queen™ ice cream.

Just For Fun:

Tell us your favorite knock-knock joke!

Knock knock!
Who's there?
Banana.
Banana who?
Knock knock!
Who's there?
Banana.
Banana who?
Knock knock!
Who's there?
Banana.
Banana who?
Knock knock!
WHO'S THERE?
Orange.
Orange who?
Orange you glad I didn't say "banana" again?

(You didn't specify it had to be a GOOD knock knock joke, right? )

Old 10-31-2011, 11:22 AM

5,932 posts, read 6,638,386 times
Good afternoon and Happy Halloween to all!

Today’s Question(s):

Have you ever worked or attended school in a place where people come to work in costume on October 31?
No, haven't had the pleasure.

If I recall, we used to wear costumes to grade school.

Not me.

Bonus Question:

Youngsters along the Eastern seaboard will be trudging through snowbanks this year to Trick or Treat! What kind of weather will the little ghosties and goblins experience in your neck of the woods this year?
Clear and in the 50's here

I don't think so.

For those who grew up in the more southerly latitudes, have you ever gone trick-or-treating in shorts and flip-flops?
Nope. Not this one either.

Extra Credit Question:

Last week, we changed a spotlight over the garage.

Was it a/an:
Incandescent bulb?
Fluorescent bulb?
Halogen bulb? This one.
Other??

Just For Fun:

This one is the only one I can remember...
Knock, knock!

Who's there?

Banana.

Banana who?

Knock, knock!
Who's there?
Banana.
Banana who?
Knock, knock!
Who's there?
Banana.
Banana who?
Knock, knock!
Who's there?
Orange.
Orange who?
Orange you glad I didn't say "banana" again?

Today is:
All Hallows Eve (Halloween) Boo
Samhain
Books for Treats Day
National Caramel Apple Day
National Knock-Knock Jokes Day
Scare A Friend Day
National Magic Day

Have a great day everyone.

Old 10-31-2011, 12:34 PM

98,549 posts, read 25,062,151 times
Today’s Question(s):

Not that I recall!
No way!

Bonus Question:

Lovely weather!
No...!
For those who grew up in the more southerly latitudes, have you ever gone trick-or-treating in shorts and flip-flops?
Possibly!

Extra Credit Question:

Couple days ago..

Was it a/an:
Incandescent bulb?
Fluorescent bulb?
Halogen bulb?
Other??
Replaced with incandescent..

Just For Fun:

Today In History:
1864 – Nevada is admitted as the 36th U.S. state
1926 – Magician Harry Houdini dies of gangrene and peritonitis that resulted from a ruptured appendix
1941 – After fourteen years of work, the sculptures at Mount Rushmore are completed
1941 – The destroyer USS Reuben James becomes the first US Navy vessel sunk by enemy action in WWII, with the loss of more than 100 sailors
1959 – Lee Harvey Oswald attempts to renounce his American citizenship at the US Embassy in Moscow, USSR
1968 – Citing progress with the Paris peace talks, US President Lyndon Johnson announces that he has ordered a complete cessation of all air, naval and artillery bombardment of North Vietnam, effective November 1
1984 – Indian Prime Minister Indira Gandhi is assassinated by two of her own security guards
2002 – A federal grand jury in Houston, Texas indicts former Enron CFO Andrew Fastow on 78 counts of wire fraud, money laundering, conspiracy and obstruction of justice related to Enron’s collapse

Today’s Word:
Recondite \rĕk ən dīt, rĭ kŏn dīt\ adjective
1. Concerned with a profound, esoteric or difficult subject
2. Little known; obscure

Today is:
All Hallows Eve (Halloween)
Samhain
Books for Treats Day
Scare A Friend Day
National Magic Day
Thanks Bookworm!

Old 10-31-2011, 12:45 PM

10,203 posts, read 13,333,260 times
Today’s Question(s):

Have you ever worked or attended school in a place where people come to work in costume on October 31? Depending on the department some people dress up around here.

Have you ever gone to work or school in a Halloween costume? Went to school in a costume way back in Kindergarden. That was the only time.

Bonus Question:

Youngsters along the Eastern seaboard will be trudging through snowbanks this year to Trick or Treat! What kind of weather will the little ghosties and goblins experience in your neck of the woods this year? Skies are clear and should be this evening. I am thinking that the temp will be in the mid 60's.

When you were a child, did you ever go trick-or-treating in a snowsuit? I don't even know what a snow suit is. LOL

For those who grew up in the more southerly latitudes, have you ever gone trick-or-treating in shorts and flip-flops? I don't remember. I bet tonight I take the kids dressed that way. LOL

Extra Credit Question:

When did you last change a light bulb in your home? A few weeks back. I had missed a few when we moved into our home last year. In California you can't buy incandescent bulbs anymore and we have switched them all to fluorescent.

Was it a/an:
Incandescent bulb? Swapped this to a fluorescent.
Fluorescent bulb?
Halogen bulb?
Other??

Just For Fun:

Tell us your favorite knock-knock joke! I am not sure I have a favorite Knock-Knock joke. My kids like one that goes like this:

Knock Knock

Whos there?

Banana

Banana who

Knock Knock

Whos there?

Banana

Banana who

Knock Knock

WHO'S THERE

Orange

Orange who

Spoiler
Orange you glad I didn't say banana

Today In History:
1864 – Nevada is admitted as the 36th U.S. state
1926 – Magician Harry Houdini dies of gangrene and peritonitis that resulted from a ruptured appendix
1941 – After fourteen years of work, the sculptures at Mount Rushmore are completed
1941 – The destroyer USS Reuben James becomes the first US Navy vessel sunk by enemy action in WWII, with the loss of more than 100 sailors
1959 – Lee Harvey Oswald attempts to renounce his American citizenship at the US Embassy in Moscow, USSR
1968 – Citing progress with the Paris peace talks, US President Lyndon Johnson announces that he has ordered a complete cessation of all air, naval and artillery bombardment of North Vietnam, effective November 1
1984 – Indian Prime Minister Indira Gandhi is assassinated by two of her own security guards
2002 – A federal grand jury in Houston, Texas indicts former Enron CFO Andrew Fastow on 78 counts of wire fraud, money laundering, conspiracy and obstruction of justice related to Enron’s collapse

Today’s Word:
Recondite \rĕk ən dīt, rĭ kŏn dīt\ adjective
1. Concerned with a profound, esoteric or difficult subject
2. Little known; obscure

Today is:
All Hallows Eve (Halloween)
Samhain
Books for Treats Day
Scare A Friend Day
National Magic Day[/quote]

Old 10-31-2011, 12:47 PM

10,203 posts, read 13,333,260 times
Looks like a lot of people like that banana joke. LOL

Old 10-31-2011, 01:16 PM

2,993 posts, read 1,528,695 times
Boo !

Today’s Question(s):

yes but that was a couple years ago. Nothing today happened.

yes about 30 years ago

not me

Bonus Question:

most of the snow is gone from yesterday. clear but chilly

yes. Nothing like a costume under your winter coat

Extra Credit Question:

if the garage counts... last week

Was it a/an:
Incandescent bulb?
this one
Fluorescent bulb?
Halogen bulb?
Other??

Old 10-31-2011, 01:37 PM

8,678 posts, read 4,277,006 times
Today’s Question(s):

Yes

Have you ever gone to work or school in a Halloween costume? School, not work.

Bonus Question:

Nice weather, it's a beautiful day here with moderate temps.

No, you probably won't find very many people in Texas that have a snow suit...lol.

No, but I did wear short sleeve shirts at times.

Extra Credit Question:

About a week ago.

Was it a/an:
Incandescent bulb?
Fluorescent bulb?
Halogen bulb?
Other??

Just For Fun:

Can't post it here, the mods would delete it...lol.

Old 10-31-2011, 07:30 PM

14,331 posts, read 6,897,965 times
Today’s Question(s):

Have you ever worked or attended school in a place where people come to work in costume on October 31? Yes, my last job.

Have you ever gone to work or school in a Halloween costume? Yes, my last job.

Anyone have any funny stories about working in a Halloween costume? I worked for a large insurance company a long time ago and one of the supervisors was a Cuban-American lady with a heavy accent. She came to work on Halloween day one year dressed as a witch and hardly any of us knew if was her because she did a really good job with her makeup and costume. As soon as she opened her mouth, we knew it was her!

Bonus Question:

Youngsters along the Eastern seaboard will be trudging through snowbanks this year to Trick or Treat! What kind of weather will the little ghosties and goblins experience in your neck of the woods this year? Tonight will be fair and in the mid 60s Fahrenheit.

When you were a child, did you ever go trick-or-treating in a snowsuit? Never lived anyplace that snowed in the winter.

For those who grew up in the more southerly latitudes, have you ever gone trick-or-treating in shorts and flip-flops? No, but I wouldn't mind doing that now.

Extra Credit Question:

When did you last change a light bulb in your home? Just a couple nights ago.

Was it a/an:
Incandescent bulb? <--This
Fluorescent bulb?
Halogen bulb?
Other??

Just For Fun:

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics